I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

I lay out the bodies I can find into a little corner on the hill. Even found the two bodies the bandits had put on spears for deterrence (Bale and Harmless Couplewaters).
Here they all rest:

I grab what coins I can find and exchange some of my clothes, but staying lightly armored for speed.

Then I make my way to the western hamlet of Bentowns to report in the death of Kajeth and recruiting.
And of course to spend the night!

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Maybe you should allow yourself a more "advantageous" start with the demigod setting (I checked the wiki smile). I'm all for interesting challenges, but since this game seems to be incredibly difficult it might actually provide the possibility to tell a complete tale of your adventures instead of getting your party slaughtered by the first roadside bandit you happen to stumble across. wink

mostly_harmless Wrote:I lay out the bodies I can find into a little corner on the hill. Even found the two bodies the bandits had put on spears for deterrence (Bale and Harmless Couplewaters).

haha, that's awesome

Just wanted to say I hope you re-start with this m_h, now that the forum is back up. It was a great read and I really enjoy it.

Yes, I plan to comeback to this. Probably some point this week.
The last days I was busy with Faster Than Light and especially XCOM.

mh
---

Harmless "Coalflights" wakes up in a house in Bentowns with a slight muscle ache.
Feeling a hungry and thirsty I feast on the chopped dog liver I have in my backpack and drink some water.

I call my 4 companions to my side:
[Image: 12509081misc.png]

And decide to put yet another outlaw to justice. Coni Quietonions, last seen half a days travel to the west.

mh
---

Around midday we rest to eat and drink and realize that we took a wrong road, leaving us at the wrong side of a river.
Since I don't know whether all my companions can swim, I decide it is safer to backtrack to the bridge and instead of attempting to swim across.

After a couple of hours we finally arrive in the area, where Coni is supposed to hide.
Immediately we spot one of the bandits, a Spearwoman uphill from us. Shots are fired into her direction, while the Lashers and myself approach her.
While rushing towards the Spearwoman bandit another Pikewoman bandit comes into view uphill.
The Spearwoman bandit gets hit in the lung making breathing very hard for her.
The Pikewoman bandit is one-shot in the head it seems by an iron arrow and immediately dies.
The Lasher reaches the wounded Spearwoman bandit before me and kills her with a whip to the head.

Two down, but no sign of the leader yet.
I carefully climb the little slope to be confronted with yet another two bandits, a Bowwoman and a Macewoman.
Going to seek cover behind a tree against the Bowwoman bandits while my Lashers charge and my own bows close the distance to the new foes.

While running for a tree I spot another bandit, an Axeman this time.
This does not bode well, for my two Lashers rushing in to meet all those enemies at once.

Oh-oh. Yet another bandit, a Lasher this time appears.

Rushing to another tree for cover against the arrows, I am too slow and an iron arrow pierces my inadequate leather armor and wounds my upper body!!!
Screaming out in extreme pain I finally spot Coni between the trees. He wields a crossbow and is well covered by his 4 remaining bandits.
Here the situation:
[Image: 12509081fight.png]
The two white "@" are my Lashers running south.
There are five "Ü" visible with the southern most green one, Coni, the leader.
My two archers are still on the lower terrain to my north.

With my bleeding flesh wound and a broken rib, I do the sensible thing and ...
---

... run for it.

I make it down the slope a few steps before passing out because of the pain, stumbling to the ground.
{OOC: when you give into pain, the game goes on for as long as you are unconscious. So when you come to, positions of companions and enemies can have changed a lot, depending on how long you were under.}
When I come to, my archers are almost at my side, but I cannot see what happens on the higher ground.

Getting up, I try to reach the cover of some trees, but pass out again after a few steps.
Regaining consciousness I can see Coni, the bandit leader is following us and Citu, one of my Lasher dead on the ground.
No idea what happened to Mab the other Lasher, but probably dead as well.

I still seem to have my two archers at my side.

They do a good job covering my retreat. The last thing I see before I pass out once again is that they gravely wounded the bandit Maceman.

When I wake up once again, I can see nobody. I have no idea how long I was unconscious.
The bleeding has stopped and the pain somewhat lessened.
I am still fleeing north though. I briefly get a glimpse of one of my archer companions, but he is not following me, probably still being involved in the fighting.

I make it far enough to be able to fast travel and my two archers seem to have caught up with me. I am very grateful of that, but we don't talk about the fight, so I don't know what happened while I was passed out and how they managed to get away.
Here is just what I recalled from the engagement:
[Image: 12509082fight.png]
The easy death of the first two bandits {Never got a announcement on the second though. I think because it happened in the fog.} and then I got hit and ran for my life.

While hiking back east to find a hamlet and a roof under which to spend the night we are suddenly challenged by:
[Image: 12509083fight.png]

????
---

Chicken leather toga!?

Mistrum (Bowman): "Pardon me?!"
Harmless: "What was that?"
[Image: 12509084fight.png]
They both eye the nearby eagle suspiciously.
[Image: 12509085fight.png]
Mistrum: "I'm pretty sure an eagle goes "gawk" or something."
Harmless: "Yes. Maybe ... Hold on! Where is Xem?"
Mistrum: "She was just ahead of us a minute ago, wasn't she?"
Harmless: "Thought so too, but can't see her at the moment."
Mistrum looks around.
Mistrum: "Ah. There she is behind us, up the slope."
[Image: 12509086fight.png]
Harmless: "Hmmm, are you sure?"
Both squint against the setting sun.
Mistrum: "No wait, that's a ..."
Harmless: "KOBOLD SPEARMAN!!!"
Mistrum: "By Ulet!"
Harmless: "Quick what do you know about kobolds?"
Mistrum: "Not a thing! Never saw one before! But they look ugly and sparsely clad."
[Image: 12509087fight.png]
Harmless: "Well, there is nothing to be said about dressing sparsely! What do you think I wear underneath my turkey leather long skirt?"
Mistrum: "Uhm ... not a legendary pig tail fibre thong then???"
[Image: ouchy.jpg]
Harmless: "What???!!! No. Nothing! I was hoping to nick some nice underwear from the dead bandits. But that did not turn out too well."
Mistrum: "Right! So do you want us to go after that giant cave spider silk loincloth on that fellow then?"
Harmless: "Nah, that's way too small and won't cover anything!"
Mistrum: "Pffft!"

{OOC: giant cave spider items are actually quite valuable. And yes there are thongs in the game and yes they can be decorated with for example menacing spikes of hematite. Also clothing has size attributes. Kobolds wear small items that will not fit humans, but elves, I think. Goblins and dwarves have the same size.}

Harmless: "Shoot a bolt at him anyway, startling us like this. I will call out for Xem."
Mistrum: "Right you are."
[Image: 12509088fight.png]
Harmless: "NOT THE EAGLE YOU DAFT BUGGER!"
Mistrum: "Oh! Look that swarm of white storks over there."
Harmless: "Will you stop shooting at birds and focus on the kobold?! Oh, hi Xem."
Xem: "Kobolds! Lots of them! Run!"

I climbed the slope and can now see at least 6 kobolds basically surrounding us. A Recruit, four Spearkobolds and a Swordkobold!

And yes, I am running!
---