Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

Running down the slope, hearing the noise of battle and the screams of my companions behind me, I don't dare to stop and look back ...
[Image: 12509089fight.png]
(yes I startled a duck while running for my life)
Breathlessly I reach the hamlet of Gleamedprairie just as the sun sets. This time my fellows have not caught up with me.

I am exhausted and enter the next best house, ask for permission to stay the night and fall into an uneasy sleep ...

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

The stars are still up when I wake and eat my last chopped dog liver. Everybody is still asleep around me. Carefully stepping over the prone bodies I nick some wild strawberries from a bag and step outside to refill my water skin.
Looking into all the houses, I nudge a snoring Swordswoman and can convince her to join me. Nedun "Nosedimples" is her name. She is very weak and quite old it seem. But at least she is company. She also tells me that there is a Marksdwarf in the village as well.
After a couple of hours searching in the gloom of the dawn I find him and convince him to join as well. Noloc "Drillbrush". He appears quite weak as well. But he carries a good crossbow and plenty of iron bolts.

We set off. With just the strawberries as food, I need to find some proper rations pretty soon. The idea is to visit the market in the capital if I cannot manage to hunt down anything. Noloc should be able to help with his crossbow when it comes to hunting.
So northwards it is.
No fast travelling.
---

In the next village I pick up two more rather skinny dwarves as companions.
Ramstom "Crowdbone" a Lasher and Kad "Dragonshocked" an Axedwarf (female).

And we continue to make out way north towards Empirestrings our capital.

With not even a bird spotted during our travels, we arrive at the capital market.
Where I trade with the first butcher.
Prepared anaconda intestines ... I juct could not resist and bought 5 portions of it for 30 coins. I have 1100 coins in my inventory from the Kajeth raid.

Now, before I lumber myself with quests from the town folks, I want to see the sea.

And an hours slog through the rain later ...
there it is:
[Image: 12509091misc.png]
Water, driftwood, a beach. A minute ago we disturbed a flock of albatrosses.
Even a little surf going. (That white wavy line to our west. It will travel towards the beach and then "extend" the water all the way to the tide line. Be careful not to get washed away. It even creates mist when hitting the shore. Dwarves like mist a lot.)

Its past lunch time, and I become hungry. I was rather hopeful to find something to hunt and eat near the shore.
Takes a little bit of wandering along the tide line and then ...
[Image: 12509092misc.png]
My companions watch in awe as I powerlevel my wrestler skill. Well, after I realized that I can do more stuff when not having my hands full of coins and a spear.
With the tiny sea creature dead, I butcher it and eat the single portion of meat it yields.

Hmmm, raw horseshoe crab meat ....
"Right chaps, this is a rather silly place. Lets head back to town!"

{OOC: there always crabs and horseshoe crabs to be found at the beach or a little way in land. Should you be in need for food and not be equipped with a ranged weapon and not be a successful rhino wrestler, the beach is where you can find meat.}

mh
---

the game simulates TIDES?

(October 18th, 2012, 17:36)uberfish Wrote: the game simulates TIDES?

I don't know if it similates tides too elaborately, but you definitely get a fluxuating waterline that mimics what a tide would do.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Aside from having the single worst visuals I've ever seen in a game, this is otherwise pretty amazing.

Clearly sunrise has never played Rogue. tongue

Speaking of which, why don't you use a tileset mh?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Not sure it actually models the tides, but you get waves. But then again it models the moon phases as well, so I would not be surprised f the wave activity is linked to that.

I don't use a tileset, because I have not seen one that I like, and by now I am quite used to seeing the ascii characters. Bit of a purist there, I guess.

mh
---

Don't know if I mentioned this, but this is pretty hilarious (my only problem is that with a cold all the funny bits bring on a furious bout of coughing from the laughter).

So thanks m_h.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.