I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

I stand and fight!

Still no luck with the arrows.
But in the time it takes me to retrieve another arrow from the quiver, Pethit gets slaughtered horribly:

What an end to Pethit. Fortunately one of Taba's bolts hit the Pikewoman. But both enemies are now 5 meters (tiles) away from me and Taba stands to my right, slightly behind me.
Uhm, that#s not the proper position of a meat shield, is it?
The thing is, that if I fire another arrow I will likely not hit anything, while due to my slowness, the two enemies will close in and stab me to death.
One option is to move backwards now without firing. But if they are much faster than me, that won't help a lot.
I am thinking of dropping a lot of my heavy silver arrows, hoping that actually dropping things does not cost in-game time. That way, I could increase my speed and move behind Taba or run for it.

Let's try this.

Ok. It does take in-game time to drop and retrieve items. But very little. I dropped my 24 arrows and only picked up 4. (Could not split the stack before dropping, I think.)
In that time the Spearwoman moved one meter, while the injured Pikewoman retreated!

I move bravely behind Taba, while the Spearwoman advances further and the Pikewoman leaves the scene.

The Spearwoman engages Taba and I decide to fire another arrow at her.

But I am too damn slow and clumsy:

Taba is dead and the Spearwoman is next to me.
Now, do I fight with my dagger or run? If she is faster than me, I am toast. If I am faster I will escape with most of my arrows gone and leaving my two dead companions (and all their equipment!) behind.
If I stay and fight I will face an uninjured spearwoman who has skilfully killed my fellows!

"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

I take my chances with my dagger!
I drop my food, my arrows, my bow, hoping to improve my agility!
And slash out at her weapon arm!

She jumps away, but does not counterstrike! That means I am faster than her?

Lets try to aim for the legs!

I miss and she stabs me in the left arm, leaving a bleeding wound!

Argh. No easy combat options present themselves.
Screw this! Lets run ....
---

Wrestling!

... and she is slightly faster than me.
She is right on my heels.
I try to get the odd stab in with the dagger if there is a good opportunity to hit her weapon arm or her legs, but I miss them all, while she eventually hits me badly.
I take a near-fatal hit to the head leaving me winded and bleeding crawling on the ground.
Here is what happened:

[INDENT]{OOC: the messages stating that I lose possession of the spear refer to the fact that the weapon is no longer lodged in my body.}
[/INDENT]

See the nice bloody trail I left?

[INDENT]{OOC: You can also see the last known positions of my two dead fellows, the @s. The alpha sign is the meat I dropped. The red .s and ,s are in this case blood. The Ü is the Spearwoman. East of her lies my dagger in a puddle of my own blood. The white X is my position. Injured people blink, indicating their status. I made the screenshot when I was a X.}[/INDENT]

And here is my status:

Survivable?

Well, I manage to crawl a further 9 meters, while she stabs and punches at me. But I somehow refuse to die.
( I am actually seeing status notifications, that are new to me.)
I am Winded, Over-Exterted, On Ground, Faint, Bleeding and Mortally Wounded.
I left behind a nice trail of blood and four of my teeth!

She takes her sweet time to finish me off. What a sadist!

Here is the log from after she broke my spine!!!

I like how I became enraged at the very end, just before passing out (from exhaustion not pain! I guess I could not feel any pain, no such status report, as my spine was broken.) Note how she only delivered the finishing blow after I passed out. She must have drawn quite some amusement from hacking away at me while I was conscious!

So, yes, DF Ladies and Gentlemen, once again. This is not unusual!
Turns out peasant bowman also does not work very well. Could have gone better, if Pethit would have landed an attack. But the blame is on me, for leading us to this peril!

mh
---

uberfish Wrote:Wrestling!

I never tried that. Will have to read up on it (can I kill while wrestling? Choking?) Maybe I will start with a competent wrestler next time, then.

mh
---

Harmless Puzzlehorn was 33 years old when he died a most gruesome death!
Both his followers were well in their 70s!!! So the white hair is indeed a hint. I wonder whether the age influences their combat in this game.

Taba was already a widow for some time with no kids, while Pethit leaves behind a wife in Gleamedprairie. frown

uberfish Wrote:Did your civilization elect a new leader since the vampire got killed?

It was only two weeks since the vampire's death. I am not sure how it works. Can't see there being elections. The legends show nothing so far. I guess my next adventurer should move to the capital and check it out.

mh
---

Very entertaining!

(That sounds more sadistic than I meant... smile)
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Welcome back to Numthur.

This here is Harmless "Ultrayor" Ishrauthral

The date is 8th Galena (August) 125.
I get started in the hamlet Landhip in The Slippery Confederacy civilisation.

Pale taupe hair and dark peach skin. (Who would have thought!).
Somewhat competent with the sword and a shield. Can read a bit and doesn't immediately drown when in water.

I am doing the usual rounds in Landhip, finding me some leather clothes for better protection.
There is one Crossbowwoman and a Marksdwarf willing to join me.

Usmok "Brimbrown" Lakatasar, the Crossbowwoman has long greasy hair and is very fat. She owns a bronze crossbow and bronze bolts as well as copper breastplate and cap.

Daze "Nationlimbs" Monguci, is a female dwarf with an iron crossbow, iron bolts and copper breastplate and iron cap for protection.

[INDENT]{OOC: Now the thing with dwarves as companions is, that since they are small, their clothes and armor won't fit me, should they die and being looted.}[/INDENT]

Here some interesting bits from talking to a native:

There is a temple to Ulet Bellsflowers in Empiresstring. That is the god that cursed Nanok to become a vampire, which Harmless Strappingraptors killed a month ago.

Also, Athis Heathersmiled is mentioned to be in Empiresstring. She is the Hammerwoman that assisted in the killing of the vampire.

There is a quest to kill the outlaw Umcos Danglequake. Well we know how that went for the last adventurer.

And apparently a particular sadistic Spearwoman, Kajeth Auburnpointed, in that bandit camp has reach outlaw status now as well. Killing two in her lust for murder?! Huh?!

And the "other" vampire in Freesquashes.

Now, what to do:

Set off to explore the capital some more?
Kill the outlaws?
Confront the vampire?

mh
mh
---

Well, to start with I noticed two goblins living in Landhip.
That is just too odd, and everybody should know, that goblins are a bad.
So here is what I will do. Cleanse Landhip from those evil creatures.
There clothes, sold in the capital, will give me some money.

[INDENT]{OOC: Note that I could in theory carry the gold cabinet from the house and sell it in the shops in Empiresstring, probably giving me plenty of money to buy all kinds of nice stuff. But that would rather be exploitive. Keeping the stuff from killed foes (and friends) is more in character, I feel.}
[/INDENT]

The first goblin hangs out at a door and is only equipped with a boning knife and light clothes.
I will first throw my dagger and then fight him sword vs. boning knife. Hopefully my two crossbow girls will get a shot in as well!

Uhm, huh?!

Immediately upon me striking at the goblin my both crossbow girls switched sides and hit me, rather badly, as well!
Urgh, so these goblins are considered friends here? Citizens even? Oh dear!

Uhm: "Sorry?"

No luck. The entire house empties out!
A lynch mob of civilians is trying to kill me, why I try to crawl away with a completely smashed and broken left leg and broken lower spine.
I defend myself and actually manage to get the odd hit in on those civilians.

I block countless blows from those pursuers and most of them give up the chase after I inflict some minor wounds on them.
However, one particular guy (Zoku, a woodbruner9 keeps crawling after me with a cut open right foot.
I "accidentally" kill a farmer by defending a blow and hitting his head.

I keep on crawling west into some forest with a completely useless lower body and legs. And a broken nose as well. Zoku crawls after me with 15 meters distance. Maybe I can lose him among the trees.

mh
---

lmao, wtf
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.