Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

Very carefully my party moves towards the bandit camp and makes contact:
[Image: 12509221banditfight.png]
My companions in the middle (one is on the same tile as me) and two bandits (spear and axe) on the western edge of the map. Some loot lies around as well.

Minutes later they are no more.
[Image: 12509222banditfight.png]
Very little contribution from my side unfortunately.
I will grab what useful gear the two bandits have on them straight away. Their coins of course and trousers, gloves and a leather cap.

Carefully walking towards the center of the camp we spot the leader, Xem to our SW. She is holds a bow, so I take what cover I can manage.

There is also another bandit bowman hiding at the center of the camp!
Here the situation:
[Image: 12509223banditfight.png]
We left those two dead bandits behind and are approaching the bowman (green Ü) at the center of the camp. The leader is the second green Ü towards the SW.

A couple of shots are exchanged with wounds on both sides:
[Image: 12509224banditfight.png]

And while I expertly disarm and kill the center bowman,
[Image: 12509225banditfight.png]

the leader clearly has troubles:
[Image: 12509226banditfight.png]

I doubt that I will reach the leader in time to claim the kill, as my Lasher is rushing in with murder in his eyes. One more arrow hits the leader and then Mistrum the Lasher whips her to death.
I take her coins and head back to the center of the camp, as I saw a couple of coins and more importantly a couple of boots lying around.

Four dead bandits and we only suffered a wounded arm on our maceman.

We head towards the near hamlet of Sheltersinks to report the death of the bandit leader.
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

The wound on my maceman has healed over. Just a tiny scar visible. {clearly the healing mechanics need work on this game. that arm was cut open and broken 3 hours ago!}

I tell the good news to a butcher I find and he immediately tells me about that goblin vampire in a nearby town!
[Image: 12509221misc.png]

I find a rather weak swordswoman in the hamlet. My party's increased fame convinces her to join us.
And away we go to be at Echoentrances before nightfall.

And here it is a proper town with a wall and a central keep.
Lets see if I can get some decent armor for my looted coins before confronting the vampire.

Talking to the first townsfolk I meet, it turns out that there is yet another night creature bothering them:
[Image: 12509222misc.png]

Hmmm, sounds easier than a vampire.
Well, equipment first, then the night creature, I think.

Problem is, that the local armor shop is sold out, it seems. frown
However, the armor gives me a hint on where to find the goblin vampire, a general imports shop to the north west!

On my search I find a weaponsmith and sell him my bronze two handed sword for 190 coins and buy an iron short sword for 140 coins.
(I am not sure there is a big difference in effectiveness between the two swords, but the iron is better and the the short sword is definitely lighter.)

Hmm, and then I randomly look into houses and find a goblin called Ago.
Hmmm. Guys? Come on in, please.

[Image: 12509221vampirefight.png]

My party of 7 soldiers, four more unsuspecting merchants and an incredible muscular goblin wearing goblin bone crowns and other disgusting stuff ...

... and then DF crashes!!!!!!!!
GGGGGRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGG!

That is really unlucky. It rarely crashes. This time while trying to resize the window.
I have to check but I guess this latest character is completely wiped.

mh
---

Yep, he is gone. As if he never existed. frown

Well, I won't start a new one tonight.
And we know there is a rather nice town in the west of the kingdom.

Lets see where my next character will spawn. I will go with a Demigod swordsman again, I think.

mh
---

(October 22nd, 2012, 14:04)mostly_harmless Wrote: ... and then DF crashes!!!!!!!!

That is really unlucky. It rarely crashes. This time while trying to resize the window.

Clearly you need a better graphics card.
I have to run.

"Yep, he is gone. As if he never existed. frown"

Well, it is known that gods walk their own paths and, although demigods tend to grace the Earth with their presence more often than not, they could be recalled to have adventures across the planes.

It was sad indeed the demise of the mighty "Coalflights", vanquisher of foes and avenger of the fallen. Although the revenge fight was anticlimatic, his exploits proved to be as interesting as they were hillarious.

Looking forward for the next tales of wine, glory, and (mis)adventure to be had in this world, be them gods or peasants. Congrats on this thread and will continue to read with interest.

(October 22nd, 2012, 14:16)novice Wrote:
(October 22nd, 2012, 14:04)mostly_harmless Wrote: ... and then DF crashes!!!!!!!!

Clearly you need a better graphics card.

HAH! nice rolf
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

HaHa! wink

Ok, new attempt.
Harmless "Seaplots" of Creamlakes (very close to Empiresstring). Swordsman, Demigod start. basically the same stats as "Hugssoapy" but different name and spawning hamlet.

Will grab quest and companions and report back, once something interesting happens.

mh
---

Grabbed some companions and some leather clothing from the nearby hamlets.
Then went for the capital, visited the keep there and recruited two more companions, including Athis the famous Hammerwoman!

My quest sends me south to deal with an outlaw, Coni Quietonions.
On the first day, my party gets lost somehow and when the night comes, stumbles to a nearby hamlet for shelter.

The next morning we set out again and carefully approach the bandit camp from the east.
[Image: 12509231crew.png]

Note that I have found no archer and how one guy is "lord consort" but still a soldier.
---

Urgh, find a corpse and some bloody bolts. (Has a different Harmless been here before?)
Apparently someone fought and died here before, trying to flush out Coni?

Stepping closer towards the camp Coni comes into view, with his crossbow.
the terrain is a bit confusing with lots of slopes. But cover behind a tree is always good advise when facing a crossbowman!

Jumping from tree cover to tree cover, my lord consort finally absorbs the first shot.
[Image: 12509231banditfight.png]
There should be some time now Coni needs for reloading, that I can use to cover some ground!

I misjudge the time but I can block the flying bolt expertly. Athis the famous Hammerwoman is first to reach Coni and lands a hammer blow at the bandits foot.

Two more bandits appear, a lasher and a bowman. We can also see two more corpses lying on the ground!

Coni and Athis fight and dodge while I quickly come into position to help out.
Here is what happened before I enter the fight:
[Image: 12509232banditfight.png]
And here the map:
[Image: 12509233banditfight.png]
The injured lord consort is somewhere east of our current position. Most of my team is attacking Coni (the green Ü in the middle), while two more bandits are visible (lasher to the west and bowman to the north.

Coni blocks my first swing aimed at the leg and continues to dodge and weave between our combined attacks.
Nothing really hits home, while my second companion, the axeman, is out of the fight. But finally Coni is stunned on the ground just in front of me:
[Image: 12509234banditfight.png]

One aimed slash at the head:
[Image: 12509235banditfight.png]
and Coni is no more.

Now to move against the two remaining bandits!

Make that three bandits. Another axeman appears as we approach the lasher.

The lasher lands his first attack but is gruesomely dealt with by my party:
[Image: 12509236banditfight.png]

I am pleased to have made the first important strike (bringing him down) and the killing blow!

Rushing madly north, the four of us remaining reach the bowman at the same time the bandit Axeman arrives there:
[Image: 12509237banditfight.png]
One fellow axeman is at the same tile like Athis (pink @). So it is a four vs. two fight.
Note the corpse of the lasher to our south and the 10-tile trail of blood the severed foot (the little z) has left behind!

While the bandit axeman and one of my axemen fight, we kill the bowman who had no chance:
[Image: 12509238banditfight.png]
Again, the final blow from my sword!

And here dies the bandit axeman by my sword:
[Image: 12509239banditfight.png]
---

I grab an iron helmet and copper gauntlet and lots of coins!
Also I loot one silver great axe. Weighs a ton, but must be worth something.

We make our way back to the hamlet of Gleamedprairie to report the good news and eat and rest.

The new quest is about that vampire (Kina Romancedriddles) in the southern town of Freesquashes.

Lets see if we can get there before nightfall.
---