For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

Nice read.

Just wanted to chip in that I've been reading these a while now.

I have a request; could you show how your characters improve?
Or do they even have time to improve before "You have been struck down."

Both stats and skills.
I've read a bit that they can improve, and some 'grinding' ways to do it, but can you actually see & check progress & expect to get tougher and stronger if you just manage to stay alive?

Very fun to read, both what happens in the game and how you describe it.

-M

who's next up?

(October 24th, 2012, 17:17)sunrise089 Wrote: Does companion speed not come into play?
It does. I have seen previously injured (and thereby slower) companions to fall behind and eventually drop out of the party.
This does not happen when travelling on the fast travel screen.
Also if you are sneaking or crawling your speed drops a lot. The higher speed of your companions (not sneaking, not crawling) means that for every "step" you take your companions make multiple steps.

(October 24th, 2012, 17:20)Molach Wrote: I have a request; could you show how your characters improve?
Or do they even have time to improve before "You have been struck down."

Both stats and skills.
I've read a bit that they can improve, and some 'grinding' ways to do it, but can you actually see & check progress & expect to get tougher and stronger if you just manage to stay alive?
Yes, I can show the increase of skills (there is a visible counter) and attribute (no counter here, and much much slower).
I am not a big fan of the power levelling as described in the wiki. Like throwing hundreds of stones to become a legendary thrower.

(October 24th, 2012, 17:25)uberfish Wrote: who's next up?
I take it back, to make another exploring run.
Whoever wants it after that, please post here.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

While waiting for the save I was testing out another (half abandoned) 3D viewer. Overseer.

A bit unstable but allows for a different (better) showing of landscape and structures.
Here an example of a fortress:
[Image: fortressexample.png]
Its red because its made of realgar!

And here a river plunging into a gorge and a bridge over said gorge.
[Image: gorgeexample.png]

I will try to include these type of pictures as well in future reports.

mh
---

ah, this is too cool as a succession game. I enjoyed uberfish dying for a change wink.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

As winter approaches (8th December y125) Harmless "Girlishbridge" sets out to explore more of The Slippery Confederation.
[Image: 12512081start.png]

Nice northeasterly hamlet. That means we will go for the ocean channel, I think.

Grabbed two companions and a handful of strawberries and set out due east!

mh
---

I went for the super fast lasher option, which meant when my party disturbed a flock of grounded albatrosses, I actually managed to reach one before it took off!
Put a few hits in with the whip but the bird takes flight. I throw my iron shield after it to bring it slamming back into the ground.
I then use my free right hand to wrestle and choke the bird.
Once passed out, I can safely whip its head off and butcher it!
[Image: 12512081albatross.png]
Nice way to get food.

Molach wanted to see the increase of skills. Here is my current stats:
[Image: 12512081stats.png]
Archer and Thrower got points because I threw the shield. Butcher skill is obvious. Wrestling went up as well as general Fighting and Lashing.
Bit surprised by the Superhuman Agility! You cannot get this on the starting screen. Can only be a good thing. smile

mh
---

The remaining albatrosses are so slow in taking off, that some hilarious fighting scenes occur. At one point I latch on firmly with my bite to two albatrosses simultaneously! That must be quite a sight!

Some more albatrosses are butchered along with some crabs and then ...
... there it is, the cape.
[Image: 12512081capegirlishbrid.png]
Now, the beach is actually an obsidian beach and I collect an obsidian stone as a souvenir. The water is very clear and I think, I can see the ground sloping upwards at the edge of visibility. So the other shore might be pretty close.
However, my swimming skills are only novice, which means I don't drown in rain. And the beach has a steep drop into the water.
However, I saw some nicely sloped sections further north. I think I might carefully ease my way into the water there.

mh
---

I carefully glide into the water (Alt + movement keys; makes you also step of cliffs) and I swim. Woohoo!
Now carefully does it. My speed goes down a lot. Lets try a few strokes parallel to the beach.

I somehow slip and have a moment of panic trying to reach the beach again. But I manage and swim now up and down improving my swimming technique.
[Image: 12512082capegirlishbrid.png]

Unfortunately my loyal companion wants to join my, but has no swimming skills whatsoever and drowns right next to me. Bugger.
If the other one is doing the same, I am all alone and night will be upon us soon. Better to stop swim training for today then and attempt the crossing tomorrow morning. If the second companion drowns then, I can make it back to the hamlet in day light I hope.

I lie down mid afternoon to get lots of rest, but wake up just as the sun sets, startled by noises?
I can barely make out the shape of a ...
[Image: 12512083capegirlishbrid.png]
How the heck did he end up on the tide line? His description marks him down as "Drowning" which kind of makes sense for a fish on land (at least in game terms).
I have not thought about shark being in the water for my swimming attempt, but I guess all those different shark leather items that can be found in all the hamlets have to come from somewhere. *gulp*
Lets approach very carefully. .. Or not, the Hammerman companion quickly bashes the helpless shark to death. I butcher it, eat the shark heart and take the skull as a souvenir.

Lets get back to rest. First thing tomorrow is for me to attempt to cross the strait swimming!
---

While my hammerman goes off finding some crab to eat for breakfast, I feast on the shark and slowly glide into the water here at that little slope.
Then swim parallel to the beach southwards until the cape I found yesterday. And then it is straight into the blue!!!

Well, or not, as the other shore is very near, it was just outside my visibility yesterday.
[Image: 12512094capegirlishbrid.png]
Woohoo! Lets see if I can find a suitable place to climb out on the other side. I hope that my hammerman will not join me and drown!

Success!
[Image: 12512095capegirlishbrid.png]
Take a quick look around ... looks unremarkable. Now lets head quickly back before my last companion gets stupid ideas.
Back on the western shore, he is nowhere to be seen. Apparently he left me. frown

The day is still young when I arrive back at Breechesspring and I found my companion while fast travelling. Nice.
I name the channel the "Harmless Strait"! (Map in post #5 updated accordingly.)

Feels nice. smile

mh
---