Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Game bargains thread

I heard you should wait till towards the end of the sale to see if prices decrease more near the end of it. Truth or myth?

I am referring to the summer Steam sale where basically everything is on sale.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

That used to be true -- Steam sales would sometimes have better deals towards the end, or flash deals that only lasted for a short time. But the last couple years they have eliminated most of that and it seems like the sale is pretty stable from start to end.

So you could wait to see if anything gets a bigger discount later, but it does not seem likely. I do not think you would lose out by waiting if the deals remain stable, though, so waiting should not cost you anything either.

I feel Steam sales are much worse today then they used to be a few years ago. I remember the days when I would check the winter sale every day because there were new daily limited time offers ranging from 50% to 75% and a large "best of" sale on the final day. smile

The current discounts are quite lackluster, especially given Steam's high initial pricing, when sometimes the price for a physical copy of a game on Amazon is ~20% cheaper than the digital copy on Steam.
The games on my wishlist feature almost exclusively low 20% or 30% discounts. Example: "For the King" is normally 20 Euros, now 14.99.  In the meantime, I was able to get a digital EU version from a large seller on Ebay for 6.99.

There does seem to be a lot of "post a ridiculous list price and then 'discount' it 30%" type stuff going on with Steam these days. frown There are decent deals to be had, but you have to dig a bit harder to find them and be more selective. And wait longer for prices to drop -- recent (and even semi-recent) releases do not tend to get deep discounts even during big sales.

I agree the prices are less exciting than before. For me there are two new factors that make me still often buy from steam.

1) I know that the developer gets paid for the key (unlike some other sites).

2) I can get a refund for not liking the game.

I think the prices are actually worse since Steam basically took over the market, in the days of physical discs the pricedrop was pretty predictable: 60+ on release, 40 after a month, then 20-15 after a year, and then it went into the budget bin for like the price of a coffee. Now games stay at their original release price for years and then get a minor discount (it varies by publisher of course, I'm more talking about the general trend here). Take Attilla Total War as an example, that game is ancient by PC gaming standards but it is still on it's original 40€ pricepoint and only discounted 75% bringing it to ten right now. Meanwhile I saw a non-discounted physical copy of it for 5€ in my local gameshop the other day, and I don't think any gameshop-owner would dare to ask more for a 3 year old game that isn't even a best-seller to begin with. Steam is so powerful now that it doesn't have to be cheap, it can just pretend to be.

(June 23rd, 2018, 03:23)SevenSpirits Wrote: I agree the prices are less exciting than before. For me there are two new factors that make me still often buy from steam.

1) I know that the developer gets paid for the key (unlike some other sites).

2) I can get a refund for not liking the game.

1) To be honest, I don't buy the "developer only gets paid when you buy at the official store argument". Sure, if you buy games from a private seller on the G2A marketplace, chances are it's an illegal key bought with a stolen cc and your key will get banned.
However, there are plenty of resellers out there, who buy keys from cheaper regions or large amounts directly from the publisher. I have never had a problem with my keys (but I do buy only from very large resellers).

2) The Steam refund option is nice, but unless I am mistaken it's completely at Steam's discretion and if Steam feels you are abusing the system they will deny your request. I am a little wary of these offers, since nobody really knows at what point Steam feels a threshold is reached.
It's a bit like the right to return goods at Amazon.de: Sure, in theory you can send items back you don't like and get a refund, but if the people at Amazon don't like the numbers, they will just cancel your account forever.

(June 26th, 2018, 13:23)Gustaran Wrote: 2) The Steam refund option is nice, but unless I am mistaken it's completely at Steam's discretion and if Steam feels you are abusing the system they will deny your request. I am a little wary of these offers, since nobody really knows at what point Steam feels a threshold is reached.
It's a bit like the right to return goods at Amazon.de: Sure, in theory you can send items back you don't like and get a refund, but if the people at Amazon don't like the numbers, they will just cancel your account forever.

They pretty much return the funds without even looking at the reason given. I know a lot of people who buy games in bulk with a sale , and then refund what they don't like (mostly fellow students with money troubles). Haven't used it myself though so take it with a grain of salt. The only problem I have with the refund system is that the other side of the coin is that they just outright reject anything that has been played for over two hours. It often takes me up to 3 hours  before I am really sure I dislike a game, took me 10 hours to decide that Rome 2 really was complete trash  but by then I couldn't get a refund.

If you are a Twitch prime member, you can get the game "Pillars of Eternity Definitive Edition" for free until tomorrow.

While probably not that many people have an extra Twitch prime membership, AFAIK Twitch prime it is included for free if you are an Amazon prime member, which is probably more common...

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Not a gaming offer, but you can currently get the Humble Software Bundle: For only $20, it seems you get access to Camtasia 9 as well as a bunch of other software.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/up...e-software