I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Another map script, this one's not mirrored: Torusland

(May 18th, 2013, 21:35)TheHumanHydra Wrote: I just started a game on this map, and it said "couldn't find map script; generating blank map" or something like that. But the map was not blank; it had rivers, hills, forests, and sheep. How do I interpret this message? I'm on a Mac, if that makes a difference.

Ok, so the entire map was grassland with only forests around the starting position and then rivers that are almost parallel crossing the entire map?

If so, that means that either you are using a mod that is incompatible with the script(probably all mods except BUG) or you like misnamed the .py file in your public maps folder.

Christ the more maps I generate the more I want to play a PBEM.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I do believe we would have a place left in the PBEM we are setting up currently Krill.

I'm not sure if 6 is too many? I also have an essay and presentation due this week, which is a bit of a ball ache.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Just played a single player game with this - was one of the most fun ones I've played in ages. Great job Seven!
"You want to take my city of Troll%ng? Go ahead and try."

I also fired up my first SP game in ages. Really deep tactical stuff. Five Stars!

Seriously, all other maps are obsolete for me (except, yeah, B&S)

(May 19th, 2013, 07:30)Krill Wrote: I'm not sure if 6 is too many? I also have an essay and presentation due this week, which is a bit of a ball ache.

Everyone who has signed up so far has a pretty good PYFT rating. I think we'll do ok with 6.

Go sign up. You know you want to. nod
fnord

I'm hesitant to do it for a number of reasons:

1. I'm not sure how much I enjoy waterways, I prefer playing the inland seas/oceans setting. Or rather, I generally prefer the maps the IS or IO produce, whereas with waterways I'm not always thrilled with the map (but that's just personal opinion, different people like different settings etc).

2. I'm not sure I fully understand the picking method.

3. I'm not sure how much I appreciate the lakes seafood effect on the starts. That's the only thing I think actually needs changing on the mapscript, because I'm finding it surprisingly important on T0, especially because you can't always see the food at the starting site.

4. I have a highly variable work pattern from now until the end of September, working nights and days, so it's difficult to say precisely when I can play a save. It could be a 1700-2030 slot (early and night shift), or 1000-1230 and 2300-0000 slots (either side of a late shift). So with Kyan having a variable slot time as well I am not sure I could offer reliable turn around times.

(May 19th, 2013, 10:15)Krill Wrote: I'm hesitant to do it for a number of reasons:

1. I'm not sure how much I enjoy waterways, I prefer playing the inland seas/oceans setting. Or rather, I generally prefer the maps the IS or IO produce, whereas with waterways I'm not always thrilled with the map (but that's just personal opinion, different people like different settings etc).

2. I'm not sure I fully understand the picking method.

3. I'm not sure how much I appreciate the lakes seafood effect on the starts. That's the only thing I think actually needs changing on the mapscript, because I'm finding it surprisingly important on T0, especially because you can't always see the food at the starting site.

4. I have a highly variable work pattern from now until the end of September, working nights and days, so it's difficult to say precisely when I can play a save. It could be a 1700-2030 slot (early and night shift), or 1000-1230 and 2300-0000 slots (either side of a late shift). So with Kyan having a variable slot time as well I am not sure I could offer reliable turn around times.

1. I don't care what settings we play and am happy to bow to the whim of others here.
2. Me neither. I'm not sure I mind though.
3. Mapmaker should still be checking starts over.
4. Personally, i'm happy to accept you may be a tad slower at playing than normal. Course i'd be a hypocrite otherwise.

Go on, buddy smile

As an aside, Seven, I've played a couple of games now (I tend to use bigger maps with lots of civs) and am regularly having trouble with finding strategic resources nearby. Twice I've not had copper anywhere near me and once I didn't have iron within reasonable distance either. Might be worth looking at and I apologise for sounding ungrateful.

(May 18th, 2013, 22:31)TheHumanHydra Wrote: I decided to enter worldbuilder, and found there was no water, no plains, and altogether the map looked kinda bare. I'm guessing this is indeed the "blank map" the game said it would give me. Anyway, I don't know the cause of this problem.

Check the extension type on your download. I had the same problem until I realized it accidentally came out as "Torusland.py.txt" with the .txt hidden automatically by windows. Getting rid of that fixed the problem.

Also, on another note, Seven: bow