I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

I'd strongly advise keeping the GM(s) hidden. I'm fine with waiting three turns for Agincourt to grow though.

That's good news about suttree. You'll stay on that stack, right? Personally I think we should do it. For that reason I might delay the universities just a couple turns to get a few more knights. You could maybe whip knights to overflow into universities or something. Just a thought.

Also I had a dream last night where I was able to log into the game and I was looking at mack's land. lol

Also I will be away tomorrow and most of Sunday, in case it matters.

Turn 158

I'd love you to be able to log in THH, I just have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind I've missed something every turn...

Balls. Suttree probably knows we know about his stack. I just hope he's too checked out to be reading the event log. He's got one longbow in Madrid - luckily its not on a hill and neither is Barcelona.

Dhal should lose his capital in the next couple of turns and will be eaten pretty quick by Bacchus from the north and plako from the south. Lewger took a couple more of Azza's cities while I was logged in.

I started universities in some cities which don't do units. Stray Geese didn't grow to size eight again so it's likely we're putting off our tech surge by two turns to get 400 extra gold (I hope) when our capital hits size 15.

Mack has Engineering, which means his zone defense stack can reinforce the capital, which means I can't see any way of attacking effectively any more. So I think we need Engineering, then we need to take Barcelona and Madrid from Suttree in short order on t162, then flank his stack of catapults away. Any thoughts on how to proceed with our 6 cats, 17 axes, 15 knights (so far)?

Demos and power

Turn 159

The power of a GG medic. Also Azza lost his fourth city to Lewger.

We can attack Suttree t161 (in two turns). We can have Engineering on that turn too. Withdrawing knights will get about 30% odds against each longbow in Madrid and we'll only win 2/3 of the battles against the spears. If Suttree puts two more longbow in Madrid we'll likely lose 5 out of 13 knights to take the city. Anyway the whole Knight stack (15 in total) will go on tile A next turn, along with our GG Mace who I'll give Morale.

We could also put our stack of Bows, axes and cats on the tile NW of Barcelona to try and do something about our unit costs (84gpt!). But actually all that happens is we lose them all and he loses a handful of catapults. So my plan is to move them up to play zone defence near Hastings until the cat stack appears near Madrid, then cover the knights that try to flank away all the cats. We'll need to keep an eye on Mack's power, but I doubt he'll attack until he has more of an edge with Rifles. What do you think?

Rorke's Drift is founded, and only costs one gpt. It'll break even very soon...

I gave in and cashed in one merchant for 1300 gold. It'll get us Economics a turn earlier, which itself is worth nearly 200 gold. Now we have another five turns to wait until the value of our other merchant jumps. I went Economics before Engineering because I don't think we need the latter to attack Suttree. We can switch to caste and mercantilism and bureau and OR next turn if we want, but that would delay switching to free market a turn, so probably not a good idea. I don't think mercantilism works for us, we're getting so much foreign trade income. Unfortunately we can't get Economics any quicker.

Power and demos - dtay has gunpowder now, so I expect some muskets to appear over the next few turns.

Just double-checking - at the end of which of our turns does enforced peace with mack expire? And at the end of what turn will we have Engineering despite going Economics first (which is fair enough)? And do we have or can we build another spy who can verify the cat stack's location before the attack goes in - since the plan revolves around it not being able to intervene right away? Also what will be left behind in our border cities? (Thank you for the map and overlay by the way, it's very helpful.)

Now what would be perfect is if we had far more knights and could take Barcelona from the fog and carry straight through to flank away his cat stack the first turn. We could do this using our ground army to take the city, except that the tile they'd have to stage on is a hill and visible to suttree. Other than this I don't have any particularly useful suggestions at present (not that that one was either ...).

Also, wait - are ten knights enough to flank away his cat stack anyway? And if so, with just the Medic I and presumably city bonuses, are they able to heal in time to do so? We should probably sim this before committing to it ...

(January 19th, 2014, 20:42)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Thank you for the map and overlay by the way, it's very helpful.

thumbsup

dito Great thread and great explanations of what you're thinking!

(January 19th, 2014, 19:28)Old Harry Wrote: We could also put our stack of Bows, axes and cats on the tile NW of Barcelona to try and do something about our unit costs (84gpt!). But actually all that happens is we lose them all and he loses a handful of catapults... What do you think?

But, poor YossarianLives! alright

(January 19th, 2014, 20:42)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Just double-checking - at the end of which of our turns does enforced peace with mack expire? And at the end of what turn will we have Engineering despite going Economics first (which is fair enough)? And do we have or can we build another spy who can verify the cat stack's location before the attack goes in - since the plan revolves around it not being able to intervene right away? Also what will be left behind in our border cities? (Thank you for the map and overlay by the way, it's very helpful.)

Peace to eot165, Engineering will either be eot165 or 166. The second spy will arrive a turn late to locate the cats I'm afraid. We could put off the attack for a turn, but that just allows more longbows. With our sentry chariots and knights I'm confident we can avoid a horrible outcome. Why isn't there a "touch wood" smiley?

(January 19th, 2014, 20:42)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Now what would be perfect is if we had far more knights and could take Barcelona from the fog and carry straight through to flank away his cat stack the first turn. We could do this using our ground army to take the city, except that the tile they'd have to stage on is a hill and visible to suttree. Other than this I don't have any particularly useful suggestions at present (not that that one was either ...).

Also, wait - are ten knights enough to flank away his cat stack anyway? And if so, with just the Medic I and presumably city bonuses, are they able to heal in time to do so? We should probably sim this before committing to it ...

I don't think we can take Barcelona unless we lure his cat stack to Madrid and kill it in the open. If we can do that then things should be easy. But easier for Mack who can just take over the south unopposed... It looks like about 15 knights would flank away Suttree's cat stack, depending on what the accompanying units are. Is there a promotion that increases flanking damage?

Turn 160

Damn longbows. We can still take the city, but we need luck on our side.

Does Suttree know what's coming? He can see our research, but doesn't have city visibility yet.

Jamestown is in it's final max-hammer configuration.

Demos and Power

p.s. Yossarian will always live!

K, Harry, I don't think we can go in then. The plan requires us to hit suttree's cat-stack with 15 fully-healed knights two turns after taking Madrid, or we lose the knights and the city and suffer a disaster. To do this successfully need to know exactly where his cat-stack is the turn we go in so we know we have time enough to heal before it reaches us, so we need to wait for the spy. We also need 15 knights to survive the taking of the city - but we only have 15 knights total, with I can see three more that could reinforce, and we'll lose several taking the city. As much as strategically I think we need to attack now, tactically I think this plan is untenable this turn. Success in these circumstances would seem to require our foot army as well, and that might be supremely dangerous when mackoti is considered. To verify that my statements are correct, I think I'm going to go sim this ...

Ok, simmed attack of 15 (!) knights and one mace against defences shown above. On average 10 knights survived (ie. that's including the reinforcements). In a couple lucky instances almost everything survived, in one unlucky two enemy spears survived. I think this supports what I said above. I will now test how many knights are necessary to flank away his catapults.