For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

Haven't we been at war for more than a month?? It feels like it ...

(February 15th, 2014, 12:27)Ceiliazul Wrote: krill could survive a month. Krill and Mackoti would both be sitting at their computers all night, faces illiminated only by the glow of the monitor... until both their computers overheated. Krill and Mack would be fine, but the comps would be toast!

They must have played against each other at some point... Wait, I just checked the Google doc and they haven't? What gives Krill? That's a matchup I'd pay to see. nod

(February 15th, 2014, 13:15)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Haven't we been at war for more than a month?? It feels like it ...

Hey, we're actually slightly up on the deal too - he razed our city, but we captured his (much better located) city. That's ignoring little things like how we're about to lose Om and all the fishing nets he's trashed too. But y'know, we're competing!

Turn coming up in a bit. I'm going to do one more round of drafts and switch to Vassalage.

Turn 179

Commodore wanted to swap gold for silk, but we have gold, we really need gems - we're gifting ours to dhal (in return for the 450 he gave us 7 turns ago) so we can get it back in three turns.

The good news is we got the merchant we needed for our golden age, the bad news is that Mack got an artist. I hope he uses it for a golden age, but I'll bet he plants a city on the ruins of peterloo and bombs it to get a chink into our core. If we had a settler spare we could plant a city 1N of peterloo's ruins in an attempt to prevent that. But we don't. Other news is that Dtay took one of the TBS cities you were after FT frown also Mack reduced our defenses in Om as expected and is saving money on Nationalism (I guess he just got Philosophy). I'm not looking forward to a ton of Janissaries piling into us, but if he is going to revolt he'll want a golden age so perhaps that Great Artist won't ruin our day after all...

Sargon has moved up to Ur, so I've packed units into Konig as a precaution. There are five Muskets, a Welly, two Longbows a Pike and some axes. It's got 40% culture and a hill, so unless all Mack's recent power increase has been knights I'm confident we'll hold it for at least one more turn.

The blockade continues, and I'm not sure why these galleons are here. Mack could have just loaded some knights on, with which to hit Rorke next turn. Arse. I drafted France again just in case rolleye - it'll need four units in for MP happy once we revolt...

Om will produce something that isn't a Merchant next turn smile Mil Trad is 6 turns away right now, but should be quicker with the golden age.

Let's find out where Suttree's stack of cats is! (I know we should really be concentrating on Mack, but I'm curious...)

Drafted Om, France Konig and Hastings, then revolted to Vassalage, which saves us 20 gpt.

And finally here are the names. I wasn't sure about attacking with this catapult - is it better to suicide this turn or wait and hope to absorb some cannon collateral? I went for the latter in case Mack fortified the troops letting them heal 5% at the start of next turn when the cat only hurts them 8%...

Demos and Power (yep, Ichabod was 2nd in power, what are Pindicooter up to?)

Interesting, Mack took Barca as expected, but miss-clicked and gifted it to suttree. Reload is a bit difficult, because it would erase combat rolls (not that they were especially good or bad from our perspective). Mack lost only 2 cats when he took Barca and killed our ~5 defenders, but there are ~6 wounded units (cannon, jans, mace, lbow) that we should be able to kill so in the end the hammer exchange will probably be pretty even. Assuming no reload, we probably take Barca back, but do we keep it or do we want to burn it and plant a city e.g. 1 tile north so that mack can't take it with 1-movers anymore?

Btw, TBS offered Ivory for Rice&Sugar. I declined, because I did not know whether we already are trading ivory from somewhere. If that trade seems good for you, remember to offer it back!
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

How do you know it was a misclick? And if so, it sounds like something that should be reloaded, regardless of rolls (esp. since they aren't that important in this case).

He said so in the tech thread - I tried to fix it but just took the city back as we had too much culture so he needs to attack again and now he's gone to bed... duh

Turn 180

Mack mis-clicked when he wanted to raze Barcelona and gifted it to Suttree, so I tried to raze it, but we have too much culture, so we can't... I've left it empty so that Mack can raze it with a knight when he wakes up. These other units on the other hand we shall slaughter with extreme prejudice. smile Just as soon as Mack razes the city tomorrow morning.

We started our golden age which I think means we're going to be able to get Mil Trad in three turns, it'll take a few wealth builds, but probably worth it. Oh and our workers have run out of things to do - so what do you want to do with them? Delete, gift or store them somewhere waiting for railroad? Or should we build something else? I suppose we could build workshops over some cottages in the crappier cities. Or just roads everywhere.

In foreign news: Attaboy Ichabod! Attacking west is way better than attacking east. We'll find out how big his stack is next turn...

Mack took back Jets, but Pindicooter got a great general in return. Hmmm. Not so good.

Demos and power

Don't delete workers - have them build roads everywhere that don't have them for sure, then just store them for future use, including some near the front for use on short notice if necessary.

Btw, do we want 10 turns of enforced peace with suttree or do we have some realistic chances for gains? Only if we get peace with mack I'm afraid..

Check also the build in Jamestown, I put knight in as a placeholder, but maybe we want to build something that we can 1-turn.

Aaand do you plan to build a settler somewhere in order to replace Barca in a more defensible spot?
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I need to learn not to try to be helpful (see tech thread for details).

Roads it is then.

Anyway we'll get a great general in the next hour or so. I'm assuming we want to settle him in Jamestown, to pump out 9XP Cuirassiers, although we could save him to create a couple of commando Cuirs once we have military science? If he spawns in France we could attach him to a galley for a 5-mover that can shuttle past the blockade, otherwise I can't think of anything useful for him to do over there...