I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

(Posting on behalf of OH)

Turn 195

Hang on a minute... Does this mean what I think it does:

I wonder if I was wrong about how quickly pindicooter would eat Lewger? Also Fintourist noticed Pindicator is posting in the lurker thread - is Scooter on his own now? Argh, look at what happened this turn! Looks like he gifted Azza back a city too.

Anyway, if you've got a spare hour you can watch the fighty part of the turn - the good bit is from 3:30 to 65 minutes (if you're into discussion of break-points and painfully slow typing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltTCgrYv5...be#t=3m35s
If not this is what happened this turn in still pictures. First up Ichabod's stack of 45 knights is still far enough away that we could land on Omaha Beach.

But when Lunch moved up to check on Ichabod's capital he uncovered another 12 knights (one tile north of Mercy of Kannon that I didn't take a pic of) so our Omaha Beach plan is off.

So we get into the fighting and Ichabod moved a second phalanx into Spring Breeze, so we sacrificed one Musket:

Allowing our Amphibious knight to get 95% on the unfortified Phalanx and our second musket to get 97%. We got 200 gold from the capture and the Granary, Lighthouse, Market and Courthouse survived but it'll be ten turns (!) before it comes out of revolt.

Moving on to Stray Geese our Cuirassiers get 96% on each fight.

It's an easy win and we get 232 gold and keep it. Only the lighthouse and Market survived but it'll be a great city in eight turns!

Down south our Amphibious C3 Cuirassier gets 72% odds against a longbow on a hill and just about scrapes through. We pillage 93 gold
and the granary survived.

Next we want to knock out Ichabod's capacity to fight back at us by hitting his coastal cities and preventing a lot of naval production. Talk Of The Town is his Moai city but is only protected by one crossbow. We get 73% with a C2 Amphibious Knight who loses, then our next C2 Amphibious knight takes the city at >99%.

We get 183 gold for the capture and burn it to the ground. Sorry Icahbod frown. The knight was unscratched, so we left it to see if it can kill something rather than deleting it.

Our final galleon moves in to check on Tides of War and Tides of Life. The former has two Phalanx, the latter a spear. So if we kill the spear with a Musket - 96% - we get 198 gold and raze the city:

Then our two knights can take 80% and then 90% chances against the Phalanx in Tides of Life.

We get 128 gold for the capture and then, because we're good neighbours, we offer it to dtay for 150 gold (did we under-price this lurkers?) Anyway that's the end of our fighting - not all that many battles, but lots of money :D.

This is how the battlefield looks now.. We'll have Frigates in four turns (maybe less) to make things really unfair. We offered peace for the final two cities we want to capture, but doubt that he'll accept.

One last question - LB is going to be working every tile in a couple of turns - should we cottage the flood plains now or work merchants instead?

I don't think we want to bulb printing press - the known tech discount is going to be huge on it... Look how much cash Plako has!

Power and Demos

Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

That was satisfying to read. Good job, guys.

excellent report, and the price on Dtay's city was just about right and not too greedy. (as you mentioned from civstats, scooter just liberated the 2nd hand city he captured.)

Thanks guys.

Thinking about it a bit further we could have left TheTidesOfLife alone and made Dtay declare on Ichabod to get the city, meaning that we wouldn't be the sole target for revenge. We did make 280 gold and 4XP from doing it this way though, so I don't think its a terrible error.

Something else worth noting is that Ichabod isn't in slavery, so we should be able to take the last two cities fairly easily (unless there are 10 galleys in BridgeGojaAv yikes).

Wow. I bet he did not see that one coming. Lesson learned, never trust a Finn with a naval border neenerneener

Wow, you guys have easily catapulted yourselves back into relevance in the game with that move. Can we have an empire overview?
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

(March 9th, 2014, 22:34)Hashoosh Wrote: Wow. I bet he did not see that one coming. Lesson learned, never trust a Finn with a naval border neenerneener

Ha! This time it was the British Navy that did the heavylifting though.. nod

(March 9th, 2014, 22:36)Dhalphir Wrote: Wow, you guys have easily catapulted yourselves back into relevance in the game with that move. Can we have an empire overview?

And ha! Far away from relevance! Even if we assume that Ichabod will not revenge this, we are totally out of the race. Mack and pindicooter still have almost double our cities and plako+Commodore+dtay have far better positions than we do as well. Our struggling with mack and suttree combined with lack of land (and lack of food resources) simply put us too far behind. But yeah, we keep trying and I'm lucky to have OH as a team mate, who seems to just get more energy when things get difficult. bow I'm sure he provides an overview when he has time (I think these are a bit hectic times) and tells what kind of miracles need to happen if we want to reach anything better than a lame 6th place.

Btw, Ichabod's new nickname, Ozymandias, refers apparently to great melancholia. That does not mean that we would not take him seriously and count on him giving up, but I'm sure that after this kind of a surprise it must be hard to maintain your interest. Sorry, Ichabod alright
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Sorry, I didn't mean you gave yourself a chance to win, that's out of the running for anybody but Scooter and Mackoti. But you definitely joined the ranks of the kingmakers again for sure.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

More interesting movement in Civstats - looks like Dtay took a city off Ichabod this turn - I jumped in to look and its one of the tundra islands to the north. Ichabod offered us white peace, but not being suicidal I turned it down.

Our Moai-killing knight and our musket both survived and we're now only two turns from Chemistry thanks to Oxford! Looks like Dtay just got Chemistry too, as he has some frigates wandering around.

Scooter and Bigger have also signed peace. Which is good for us as Mackoti needs to attack Scooter to win...

Anyone around this evening? I think the turn will be a little bit less action-packed.

(March 10th, 2014, 04:07)Old Harry Wrote: More interesting movement in Civstats - looks like Dtay took a city off Ichabod this turn - I jumped in to look and its one of the tundra islands to the north.

thumbsup Share the rage of Ichabod/Ozymandias!

Quote:Ichabod offered us white peace, but not being suicidal I turned it down.

nod We need to block Ichabod from the island, otherwise we just... die.. Who wants to deal with 60 knights? shakehead

Quote:Our Moai-killing knight and our musket both survived and we're now only two turns from Chemistry thanks to Oxford! Looks like Dtay just got Chemistry too, as he has some frigates wandering around.

Positive news! I guess it's Operation Dunkirk time..

Quote:Scooter and Bigger have also signed peace. Which is good for us as Mackoti needs to attack Scooter to win...

If mack thinks like this, then it is indeed very good. Other option is to race scooter in land and target us (while we are presumably busy with Ichabod).. Choose wisely machia-fox nono

Quote:Anyone around this evening? I think the turn will be a little bit less action-packed.

I should be there. Give me a warning! nod
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3