For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

You guys streaming again tonight?

Possibly! I haven't heard of OH yet though, but I would imagine that he appears soon. As a disclaimer, fireworks should only be limited, taking 1 city, logistics for the next, looking around aimlessly and possibly discussing some domestic stuff. 15 sec delay that twitch has makes interactive play a bit hard, but who knows, maybe there will be some drama.. popcorn
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Maybe in about half an hour...

http://www.twitch.tv/old_harry

We're online now...

Turn 196

Someone is annoyingly confident.

Although you can see why that would be. We're still about ten turns from steel frown. Perhaps another spell in nationhood is called for? I'm not sure it'll help a lot though, this still looks like a defensive stack to me. I'm also very glad the artist isn't over in the West from where he could force his way into our core... All the same it might be wise to sim out a bomb in Stalingrad.

Our combat 2 knight scraped through a 90% fight to take PlayingWithFire and get us 216 gold. The Granary, Forge and Lighthose all survive!

Up north Dtay might be planning to take the remaining island (just off the top left of this picture), but I'd love it if he went for Icahbod's coastal cities...

Our blitzcrieg continues, slowly, but our sentry chariot spots trouble - these two galleys could unload four knights or a combination of knights and muskets onto the Y tile next turn. We thought about leaving some units here to make landing hard, but we need to assume that Ichabod can take amphibious as easily as we can, so we'll just make sure that we have enough units in the area to defend/mop up after we take TheEveningBoat.

Then this is where the heartless general needs to make difficult decisions. We need to control the seas between us and Ichabod, and Galleon 2 could pick up the Moai-slaying knight this turn, but I think it's more important to be a tile closer to those galleys, so we're going to leave the knight for Galleon 3 to pick up next turn. If he can hold out for another turn please.

I sent Icahbod another peace request. Only asking for the one city this time. He's still saving money and doesn't have compass yet, I'm not sure why.

We only have 13 cities less than Mack and 17 less than Scooter at the moment. Of course it'll be a while before the last six make any kind of contribution to the empire... Renaming Madrid to Somme both fitted the scheme and the events during it's capture. I won't rename the others until they come out of revolt. We're going to need one or two more city names after city Z. Any suggestions?

Seems like the race to Communism/Physics is on. My money is on Mack, but I dunno how long they've been racing for.

Demos and power - even with Oxford our tech rate is awful frown. The good news is that Mack's power is stagnating. The bad news is its stagnating on our doorstep.

It looks like Ichabod took the peace, which is good because now we don't get 10 turns worth of strike in TheEveningBoat.. nod

So the first priority of the next 5-10 turns is to organize our defenses and sentry nets so that we make attacking as difficult as possible for Ichabod, dtay & mackoti.

The big question remains the same as 60 turns ago: How the **** can we improve our position from here? We are as squeezed as ever and now we have traded angry suttree to angry Ichabod, who happens to have 60 knights.. smoke

Regarding more land our options don't look too promising..

1. Attack Ichabod's mainland?
- Hey, it's only 60 knights + cats now, I'm sure it will be much less in 10 turns!

2. Boat plako?
- This might actually be the only surprise attack available.. But it is mostly surprising, because it would be such a long shot.. We already need our navy for Ichabod and even plako's closest island cities would stretch us quite a bit.. And with mack, dtay and Ichabod as continuous threats we are not exactly in position to collect more enemies..

3. Attack dtay?
- When thinking about pure (speculative) power levels this might be possible, although again a very long shot. Geography and dtay's possible EP city visibility on us make this very impractical. It's also clear that we could not finish this war in 10 turns even in the best case scenario so it would also be a pile-on-us-invitation

4. Next round with Machia-fox?
- Yeah, we have such a long border that there are indeed options for a quick attacke, but when we are talking about an opponent with double our MFG, we need him to be busy elsewhere before it really makes any sense.. The same philosophy applies as previously: Now it's the better time to fight than when he comes with tanks, but we probably have to put our money in wishful mack-will-fight-scooter-or-plako thinking. And yeah, attacking mack is also an open invitation to dtay.

5. Attack Commodore, Lewger, WilliamLP, Azza or Bacchus
- Yeah, I would love to. Well not really Commodore, and WilliamLP or Lewger would not be easy gains, but Bacchus and Azza surely. Buuuuut... we don't border any of this guys. frown Plako on the other hand.. His geographical position has been awesome since it became clear that Serdoa is not putting up a fight, but the total opposite. And now: eat Bacchus when it pleases you, maybe some island cities from Azza (and us if we get piled), then continue to eat William and finally destroy Ichabod's outdated military if you still need more land.

So I guess we somehow organize a half-sensible defense and hope that one of our neighbors collapses for some miraculous reason and then we again take some opportunistic gains and keep crossing our fingers? smoke
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Can the 60 knights even get to you? Your stated goal for this attack was to wipe out Ichabod's naval presence by destroying all or most of his coastal MFG, did you succeed in the overall goal?
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

(March 11th, 2014, 03:40)Dhalphir Wrote: Can the 60 knights even get to you? Your stated goal for this attack was to wipe out Ichabod's naval presence by destroying all or most of his coastal MFG, did you succeed in the overall goal?

60 knights hopefully don't get to us, time will tell.. But they of course make attacking Ichabod's mainland impossible for now.

We have now captured/razed/received in peace deal 8 coastal cities from Ichabod, meanwhile dtay has captured/razed 2. There are still ~5 relevant coastal cities left. So yeah, I think this is as big of a success as we can hope. nod But 5 cities can still be enough to produce quite a few ships so we need to pay attention.. 10 Galleons appear out of the fog and we already have 30 knights running around.. popcorn

We will probably produce/upgrade couple of privateers so that we can keep an eye on ichabod during the peace time, cut some logistics and maybe snipe a galley or two. In 10+ turns we need to have enough Frigates around so that we can protect our island from attack, but we don't know yet whether enough is 3 or 30.. Obviously we don't have resources so that we could afford to over-invest here, but we can't afford to fail here either: This won't be too easy.. rolleye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 197

Peace in our time! Interestingly, dtay continued the fight against Ichabod up north. Burning The Locust Tree when Ichabod's stack of knights was only two tiles away... If Ichabod moves the stack right Shower in Red should be safe, but his northern island city is a gonner.

We've got 10 turns of peace at exactly the right time for us, allowing us to cover (unlikely) aggression from Mackoti along the 49th parallel if needs be. But how do we parley those ten turns into permanent peace? I already gave Ichabod the banana he demanded, I think having some privateers and frigates in the water will help (I'd hold back from pillaging - show him that we're being friendly, but that he has no chance of out-muscling us), but reinforcing the cities is probably our best bet. But let's try Mackoti-style diplomacy too. Offer him whatever luxuries he needs, to try to keep him dependent on us... Also we need Plako (another AGG with access to cheap Amphibious promotion) to turn this little fleet around too..

Borders in The Evening Boat will pop to 100 culture in four turns, so we should get some of those tiles back.

Demos and power

I haven't moved anything (much) so we can work out what goes where later on. On the more land question I'd look at Dtay next. We have six-move galleons on one coast and 4-movers on the other...

Food demos are looking decent - once you assimilate the captured Ichabod assets and have a few turns of peace you should be able to add a decent bit to the MFG and GNP graph due to those food numbers.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?