Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

I wasn't prepared for six frown - I've been making a lot of mistakes over the last couple of weeks though - not enough sleep...

Com has declared too, so I'm going to call it a bad decision on dtay's part. Lets make him pay!

Turn 248 part two

So onto the fighting, first we repulse the invader scum.

pinch Inf vs C4 commando inf 64% LOSS
C1 Inf vs injured C4 commando inf 99% WIN

C2 pinch Inf vs C4 commando inf 65% WIN
withdraw II cav vs C4 commando inf 59% withdraw LOSS frown
But that injures him enough that a CIII Inf gets 85%, but should still get enough XP to promote to Commando next turn... WIN
Finally C1 inf vs injured C4 commando Inf 99% WIN

We're left with one 17 XP Infantry after that. smile Should perhaps have been possible to get another, but the other two are 15 and 16 XP, so not far off...

In the east this galleon has been lurking with intent for a while, the Machine Gun and Infantry in Fortunato make attacking there a no-no, but Berlin should be possible to take.

C2 Amphi Infantry vs 80/100 CG2 Infantry 34% WIN

C2 Amphi Infantry vs musket 96% WIN
86 gold doesn't seem like a great reward. I burnt the city but won't delete the Inf, just in case dtay doesn't fancy risking the battle.

We're now, painfully, 2XP away from that Great General and two turns of research away from Mil Sci. Where else can we attack?

Oh, I know... Now the odds aren't great here because Milos is on a hill, but we've got two airships in position to scratch the top defenders and some amphi cuirs to clear the way for our brave boys. This chap won't win, but should get a hit or two, allowing our Infantry to get odds... (there is a 20% chance he gets no hits) Interestingly it doesn't mention withdrawal, does that mean that amphibious attacks remove your withdrawl odds?

C2 amphi Cuir vs scratched C2 formation Inf 1% LOSS (3 hits)

C3 amphi Cuir vs C1 Inf 1% LOSS (0 hits frown)
C2 amphi Cav vs C1 Inf 3% WIN!!!!!111!!
And we have our Great General smile

I'll leave it at that for now, I'm going to play the rest of the turn tomorrow, perhaps with a bit more feedback. Things to do:
- Revolt to Nationhood/slavery
- Upgrade Ironclads to destroyers
- Decide whether to research Mil Sci or save cash for upgrades
- Take Milos and put enough Machine Guns in it to hold it.
- Whip and draft a bunch of units
Anything else?

Kill dtay?
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(May 24th, 2014, 19:22)Krill Wrote: Kill dtay?

Revengeance! Feed him pain until he has to drink it through a straw. Then give him a second helping. hammer

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

It's almost 5 AM in Finland and I just came out of a club so put the following comments into proper perspective!

Fintourist thought progress (wasted edition)

1. Nooooooo! cry Fu dtay! rant Nooooooo! alright This hurts!! cry

2. How did this actually happen? Did he build railroads inside our borders and then declare? I somehow thought that you can't build railroads inside your opponents borders, but never bothered to check the actual mechanics. Partly because I was overconfident and thought that dtay would not have balls to attack us (he has been very conservative and passive the whole game), partly because I was simply too lazy.

3. Damn it.

4. Good job dtay thumbsup I think both me and OH appreciate these kinds of attacks.. even if we happen to be the targets lol Even more respect if you are actually ready for what now follows... crazyeye

5. Just for the record, the fact that this happened was clearly our mistake, but I'm not blaming you OH for the least bit. First, because at this stage of the game it's extremely time-consuming (and also difficult) to check all the attack possibilities every single turn. Second, I know that your RL is extremely busy. Third, Despite knowing that you are busy I haven't logged in for several turns. (I'm sorry)

6. Anyways, let's not be disappointed!! Let's enjoy this! nod Our game has been struggle since the very first turn. We lost 15-20 turns immediately because miserable start resources etc., our aggressive suttree attack lead to a 50+ turn grudge war where 90 % of his cities ended up as gifts to mackoti and our squeezed geopolitical position has been a complete nightmare! Losing one sucky capital does not change a single thing! It's not like our economy matters anyways! It's struggle all the way! lol

7. I repeat, let's enjoy this! Let's make dtay pay the iron price! nod crazyeye

8. That being said: I definitely don't want us to go full suttree towards dtay! Yes, I'm happy to attack dtay and fight the war kind of like it were a zero-sum game. But! If mackoti (or anybody else) attacks us opportunistically I don't want that we gift our cities to mack (leave them undefended, gift them in peace deals or whatever) just so that we can maximize the damage to dtay.
First of all, I think that's extremely lame behavior. Something that I have despised earlier in this thread.
Second, I see dtay's attack mostly as "strictly business". Our unit positioning has been pretty aggressive during the last ~20 turns so we kind of asked for this. And I think we could have well done the same thing in his position crazyeye Well, who am I kidding, we would have made at least 10 different plans to sack Agincourt and several other cities if we were in his position lol At least if we were feeling suicidal.. mischief
So... what I'm trying to say.. If we are attacked by someone, I have no problem with making peace with dtay and concentrating our forces against the new aggressor.

9. Anyways! I'm happy to see that you have taken proper measures to revenge this sneaky attack! Controlling the seas should not be too difficult with oil advantage, so let's do that (it's important) and try to take the island off dtay while threatening multiple other border/coastal cities. Or how do you see our targets!?!? Let's try to avoid losing more cities to commando strikes, especially keeping Jamestown safe is important!

10. Keep up the good work thumbsup and I repeat, let's not be disappointed! This is a perfect invitation to have some military fun! hammer Even if someone would say that our position was fine on T0 or T50, this game definitely was a mess by T150, there was nothing to lose at that point and even less now, let's make sure that both ours and dtay's game is even more mess by T275! mischief

11. Aaaand let's try to chat tomorrow (today) tongue
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Additions:

thumbsup for the first city raze!

Remember to keep winning those 3 % fights, but please stop losing those >50 % skirmishes!

Happy for Commodore involvement, let's hope he is serious! popcorn
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

No, you can't build railroads inside your rivals' borders.

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 2. How did this actually happen? Did he build railroads inside our borders and then declare? I somehow thought that you can't build railroads inside your opponents borders, but never bothered to check the actual mechanics. Partly because I was overconfident and thought that dtay would not have balls to attack us (he has been very conservative and passive the whole game), partly because I was simply too lazy.

Nope, he used railroads that I'd build duh - there wasn't a complete link but there was a road which meant they could get there. I was overconfident about dtay and I certainly didn't think he'd get five (let alone six) commando units together. I wonder if he'd have done it if I hadn't demanded the island off him a couple of turns ago rolleye.

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 3. Damn it.

4. Good job dtay thumbsup I think both me and OH appreciate these kinds of attacks.. even if we happen to be the targets lol Even more respect if you are actually ready for what now follows... crazyeye

Yep, very nice work dtay. I'm glad we didn't think we had a chance anymore, otherwise I'd be a lot more upset, so lets have some fun with it...

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 5. Just for the record, the fact that this happened was clearly our mistake, but I'm not blaming you OH for the least bit. First, because at this stage of the game it's extremely time-consuming (and also difficult) to check all the attack possibilities every single turn. Second, I know that your RL is extremely busy. Third, Despite knowing that you are busy I haven't logged in for several turns. (I'm sorry)

Thanks! I'm calling it dtay's fault. And then perhaps a bit mine.

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 6. Anyways, let's not be disappointed!! Let's enjoy this! nod Our game has been struggle since the very first turn. We lost 15-20 turns immediately because miserable start resources etc., our aggressive suttree attack lead to a 50+ turn grudge war where 90 % of his cities ended up as gifts to mackoti and our squeezed geopolitical position has been a complete nightmare! Losing one sucky capital does not change a single thing! It's not like our economy matters anyways! It's struggle all the way! lol

7. I repeat, let's enjoy this! Let's make dtay pay the iron price! nod crazyeye

I'm pretty happy that he made it interesting again. Especially since Commodore joined in.

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 8. That being said: I definitely don't want us to go full suttree towards dtay! Yes, I'm happy to attack dtay and fight the war kind of like it were a zero-sum game. But! If mackoti (or anybody else) attacks us opportunistically I don't want that we gift our cities to mack (leave them undefended, gift them in peace deals or whatever) just so that we can maximize the damage to dtay.
First of all, I think that's extremely lame behavior. Something that I have despised earlier in this thread.
Second, I see dtay's attack mostly as "strictly business". Our unit positioning has been pretty aggressive during the last ~20 turns so we kind of asked for this. And I think we could have well done the same thing in his position crazyeye Well, who am I kidding, we would have made at least 10 different plans to sack Agincourt and several other cities if we were in his position lol At least if we were feeling suicidal.. mischief
So... what I'm trying to say.. If we are attacked by someone, I have no problem with making peace with dtay and concentrating our forces against the new aggressor.

By someone do you mean Mackoti? Agreed. Right now chopping up and dismemebering dtay is first order of business, but we do want to make sure Mack doesn't feel the need to get involved - to that end I think we need to keep building anti-tanks to go in Konig and other border cities.

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 9. Anyways! I'm happy to see that you have taken proper measures to revenge this sneaky attack! Controlling the seas should not be too difficult with oil advantage, so let's do that (it's important) and try to take the island off dtay while threatening multiple other border/coastal cities. Or how do you see our targets!?!? Let's try to avoid losing more cities to commando strikes, especially keeping Jamestown safe is important!

Yep, islands and coast with a side order of our own commando strikes. I've spread machine guns out over our important border cities so that should mean his commandos find things harder.

(May 24th, 2014, 20:55)Fintourist Wrote: 10. Keep up the good work thumbsup and I repeat, let's not be disappointed! This is a perfect invitation to have some military fun! hammer Even if someone would say that our position was fine on T0 or T50, this game definitely was a mess by T150, there was nothing to lose at that point and even less now, let's make sure that both ours and dtay's game is even more mess by T275! mischief

11. Aaaand let's try to chat tomorrow (today) tongue

Are you up yet?

(May 25th, 2014, 00:01)GreyWolf Wrote: No, you can't build railroads inside your rivals' borders.

Not strictly true - you can build them on the border, where the link to the coal/oil is possible, but not once you're two tiles in. I have a plan to use this...

Turn 248 final part

To do:
- Revolt to Nationhood/slavery

- Upgrade Ironclads to destroyers

- Decide whether to research Mil Sci or save cash for upgrades: Let's try to get him on the back foot - if nothing else it'll make him spread his defenses a bit thinner.

- Take Milos and put enough Machine Guns in it to hold it: This Cav should get two hits in, allowing more valuable units (amphi infantry) to clean up the city. Fingers crossed.
C2 amphi Cav vs 88hp CG1 Inf 3% LOSS (Two hits)

It's not overwhealming odds on the first guy due to the hill.
C2 amphi Inf vs 60hp CG1 Inf 69% WIN

C2 amphi Inf vs 48hp C1 Inf 90% WIN
After which the units don't even need amphi to get 99%, so I'll save the promotions to heal with.
C1 Inf vs Axe 99% WIN
C1 Inf vs spear 99% WIN
Cuir vs Chariot 99% WIN
And we get 153 gold. Also a Granary, Lighthouse, Drydock, Courthouse and Forge! I think it's a keeper...

This is how our naval forces are disposed eot
- Four destroyers are blocking the approach to Midway, in case of galleons in the fog
- Our stack of 8 Frigates is staying in our culture while making it's way towards dtay's coast - every coin is going to count for upgrading and getting Mil Sci next turn
- Milos has two Machine Guns and three Infantry in, so unless there are cannon on that Galleon, it'll hold next turn
- Our Galleons have seven amphi Infantry, along with some two-movers that can land and hit Creta next turn
- I don't think we can take West city next turn, unless he splits his forces to put units in Creta, but if we get some artillery over there it should be doable

- Whip and draft a bunch of units: Drafted Nuremburg, Rorke, Ulm, 100 Years War, Whipped Dunkirk (Airship) France (observatory), Hastings (arty), Ypres (destroyer).

Next turn draft Q, whip K, Y and probably a bunch of others.

Demos and power

This was the most fun turn in the last hundred! We need to sort out our timings so we can disucss the next one though...

I love how matter of fact you reacted to your friggin capital being razed out of the blue. Even more youe were immediatelly upbeat about it and are already making good on the revenge part.

I think this is exactly the right mindset for these sort of games, treat it as challenging and fun. That's a big part of what makes you thread so enjoyable to lurk. So I look forward to you destroying dtay!