For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Scooticator and Pindooter give a sporting try

[Image: sports.png]

[Image: sports_cheat_sheet.png]

Dibs on Trailblazers as the capital. I could be talked into Timbers

Table of Contents

Pindicator's Power Rankings
Pre-Game Predictions
Pre-Game Planning & Discussion
In Game Plans
Turns 0 - 20

Turns 21 - 40

Turns 41 - 60
Turns 61 - 80
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Death to Commodore, etc.

PASSWORD:
zerkersports

(July 15th, 2013, 01:11)NobleHelium Wrote: Death to Commodore, etc.

lol

Edit: If I'm gonna stick to smileys that also deserves a thumbsup
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Dibs on Red Wings for city2. After that we can open it up to ded-lurkers and/or lurkers who comment frequently. Although it should only take 3-4 more city names before we get crippled by a neighbor while we tech alphabet.

So for those of you scoring at home, there are literally TWO different threads whose titles suggest they want revenge on us. I mean... ON US. The team that was basically dead last for all of PB8. Our team. Zulindia.

I halfway feel like we should take that as a compliment. lol

(July 15th, 2013, 09:16)scooter Wrote: So for those of you scoring at home, there are literally TWO different threads whose titles suggest they want revenge on us. I mean... ON US. The team that was basically dead last for all of PB8. Our team. Zulindia.

Dead last, except for the teams that were actually dead, right? mischief
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Full roster for reference
1) Krill/Sevenspirits (Team)
2) Pindicator/scooter (Team)
3) dtay (Solo or team)(1st game)
4) suttree (Solo or team?)
5) Jowy (Solo or team)
6) Nakor/CFCJesterfool (Team)
7) Plako (Solo)
8) Fintourist/Old Harry (Team)
9) Commodore/Kurumi (Team)
10) Serdoa (Solo)
11) Slowcheetah (Solo)
12) Yuris (Solo)
13) WilliamLP (Solo)
14) Azza (Solo)
15) Bacchus/Cheater Hater
16) Ichabod/Wetbandit (Team)
17) Bigger/Lewwyn/Qgqqqqq (Team)
18) mostly-harmless

So basically I'm getting pretty excited for this game, but we aren't very close to starting. I'm holding out hope that people will hurry up and lock in their votes, voting no for BFC so that we can get our first shot at refusing civ/leader tonight. In the meantime, just some general noodling through the roster here. It's mainly that there's a lot of new faces to sort through here, and I want to figure out what we know and don't know about them. I'm going to sort them into 3 major groups, then I'll highlight a few.

The Veteran Favorites

In my opinion there is a 95% chance the winner will come from this group of 6:
Krill/Seven
Plako
Commodore
Pindicator/scooter
Serdoa
Lewwyn/Bigger

Most likely Krill/Seven or Plako honestly, because those two teams are clearly the best two here. A lot can happen in this type of game, but it's just reality that in such a long game, the most experienced usually win. There's a lot more to talk about though.

The Other Veterans
These are players who have been around here for awhile and played in several games. I would not bet on them winning, but I absolutely would bet that they are all good enough to be very competitive. It would not surprise me in the slightest if several of them finish better than we do.

Jowy
Slowcheetah
Yuris
Azza
Ichabod
mostly_harmless
Nakor/CFCJesterFool

Out of this group, I think Slowcheetah is the most likely to do the best. Yes we knocked him around pretty badly in our brief PB8 war, but he played the first 150 turns very well as far as I can tell, and he's steadily improved since coming here. MH is a bit of a wildcard to me. His track record is so extremely hit and miss with games that he's difficult to predict, but I don't think he's a major threat. Ichabod is very competent when he stays interested in the game.

The Newer Faces
Some of these guys aren't THAT new as quite a few of them are participating in recent games. I had to arbitrarily divide these guys into groups somehow, so this is how the split happened.

Fintourist/Old Harry
dtay
Suttree
Bacchus/Cheater Hater
WilliamLP

I really don't know if Fintourist/OH belong in this group. I'll stick them here because they haven't finished a heavily followed game like the two Pitboss games slowcheetah has finished, but they have played in multiple games and I believe are easily the best of this bunch. Suttree I know nothing about, but I read his PB11 thread last night to try to get a feel for what he's like. I'll avoid spoilers, but I'll just say he strikes me as a pretty competent player. The game isn't very old so it's difficult to conclude more than that, but I'd watch out for him.

I know 0 about dtay (nobody does). WilliamLP is also in PB11. I haven't read his thread at all, but I'm under the impression he's on the greener side of things. Bacchus I know nothing about, but I believe he's played here (also PB11 I think?). So I should look up those two I think.

So that's a rough summary. A few random predictions in form of an "awards" gimmick.

Most likely to win
My Bet: Krill
Honorable Mention: Plako

Self-explanatory.

Most likely to ruins someone's game
My Bet: Commodore
Honorable Mention: Jowy

Who else could I choose except Commodore? I could see Jowy flinging some questionable aggression at someone for no reason.

Most likely non-veteran face to be awesome
My Bet: Fintourist/Old Harry
Honorable Mention: Suttree

Brick asked me what I thought about dark horses, and these were the two teams I gave him, which sort of inspired this post. Fintourist and Old Harry both have only played in smaller games, but they've excelled in all of them. Honestly, I bet these guys are in the top 5 for the majority of the game. I think they're both very good players and not all that well known yet.

Suttree is a more proper "dark horse" choice as I believe his only know game is PB11. He's likely to win the PB8 slowcheetah award for "whoa, who is that guy? he's doing well!" Just a gut feeling on him after reading through.

Most likely to attempt proper revenge on us
My Bet: Lewwyn/Bigger
Honorable Mention: Nakor/CFCJesterFool

wink

Most likely to have a ded-lurker who isn't waterbat but everyone thinks he is
My Bet: Ichabod. His ded-lurker is wetbandit who I guess is different or something?
Honorable Mention: n/a

Most likely to whine insufferably about the map for no reason whatsoever
My Bet: Krill
Honorable Mention: scooter

I'm just going to put my name there because I wanted to see it on one of these. But we all know the real answer.

Most likely to play a really interesting game that you'll see none of because they don't report
My Bet: Serdoa
Honorable Mention: Slowcheetah

Most likely to have a funny thread
My Bet: Ichabod
Honorable Mention: If Noble joins us again, pindicator/scooter. Otherwise, Krill/Seven because they might actually give each other legitimately real death threats when they inevitably hate each other for teaming up.

Most likely to have a Scandanavian on their team
My bet: Fintourist/Old Harry
Honorable Mention: Jowy?

No relation to the LP known as Lord Parkin
My Bet: WilliamLP
Honorable Mention: also everyone else

Yeah this game needs to get going or else I'll continue posting stupid things like this while we wait. lol

(July 15th, 2013, 09:42)Mardoc Wrote:
(July 15th, 2013, 09:16)scooter Wrote: So for those of you scoring at home, there are literally TWO different threads whose titles suggest they want revenge on us. I mean... ON US. The team that was basically dead last for all of PB8. Our team. Zulindia.

Dead last, except for the teams that were actually dead, right? mischief

I'd say we basically got resuscitated so we almost qualified for dead too. wink

Oh boy, now I'm going to spend my woek day thinking up additional categories. This is starting to read like a sports website that can't wait for football (elongated ball version) to start, so i think that's a good way to keep the theme

Edit: Pre -season rankings TBD!
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(July 15th, 2013, 13:12)pindicator Wrote: Oh boy, now I'm going to spend my woek day thinking up additional categories. This is starting to read like a sports website that can't wait for football (elongated ball version) to start, so i think that's a good way to keep the theme

Edit: Pre -season rankings TBD!

That's almost enough to make me change our vote to snake pick just so we could hold a "mock draft" in here. With emphasis on mocking of course. nod