As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[spoiler] Azza hits them for 6

Ok now that I have put Yuri in checkmate. I think it's a good time to think about my next move. I think writing down my options would help me more than simply thinking about it in my head.

First what are my options?

What I decide to tech next depends on what I want to do. What I want to do is also influenced by what I can do and perhaps more importantly what I cannot do.

Tools at my disposal:

Knights
Cho-ko-nus
Catapults/Trebuchets
Grenadiers
Cheap theatres and the ability to run the culture slider
Potentially Notre Dame
Police state/Theocracy
Good workshops (Guilds+Chemistry)

War or peace? That is the big question. If I go the peace route, would I be able to gain an advantage over my rivals? My gut feeling says no, all of the other front runners are Financial and Creative/Industrious just doesn't do enough at this point of the game. So war seems to be the way to go. However, would I be successful in my wars? Let's see who I can attack:

1) Jowy
Jowy is extremely backwards technologically, he only have Horse archers and catapults at the moment, but he have a LOT of those. Jowy also borders Catwalk, who is researching Rifling at the moment. Catwalk will certainly re-engage Jowy at some point. I do not want to engage Jowy right now while Catwalk waltz in and get most of the spoils. But even if Catwalk attacks Jowy, which side of the conflict do I want to hop in? This is how I see my options play out:

a) I stay neutral and let both of them go at it. This would certainly mean elimination for Jowy unless Catwalk makes a big blunder again like the first time. This would mean Catwalk would get much stronger on my border and that doesn't help me.

b) I join in the fight against Jowy. If Jowy gets eliminated this way, I would gain some land, however I will still have a massive Catwalk to deal with on my border having access to Redcoats.

c) I help Jowy to fend off Catwalk. This is pretty much like the situation in the Korean Wars. I mean I am playing the Chinese civilization after all (Jowy would be North Korea, which seems fitting...). This way I would prevent Catwalk from getting too strong at little benefit to myself. Obviously this would commit a lot of my troops which I might need elsewhere.

d) Help Jowy beat off Catwalk and then take out Jowy myself. Come on, I'm not that crazy.

2) BaII
BaII's behaviour is just so confusing to me in this game. He research Guilds and builts 2 knights then immediately after researches Banking and revolt into Merchantilism. He researches Nationalism-> Military Tradition but doesn't build many units. After he finally starts to builds some units he builds the Sistine. crazyeye BaII have a strong economy but rather underwhelming in terms of number of cities and land. His cities are very large so they can easily get turned into units. He has Cuirassiers which is definitely a big threat.

3) Mardoc
Yeah just no. He have a ton of land, a ton of cities and a ton of pop. He also have Janissaries which can be annoying to deal with. On top of that he has a lot of coastal cities so I can't really control the sea against him either. If I throw everything at him I can see myself taking a border city or two and eventually stall out due to his advantage in land/pop/cities.

Assessing my tech options:

1) Philosophy->Nationalism->Military Tradition

This tech allows me to draft and get Cuirassier. However I do not think Cuirassier is a significant upgrade to Knights/Grenadier. Or at least I consider the opportunity cost to be too high.

2) Steel

Military tech, I was very tempted to go for it. However it's extremely expensive, when I saw it's 11 turns on break even research I can't justify going for it. It just doesn't do me any good in the short term and no guarantee that it would pay off in the long term.

3) Paper->Education

and Build Oxford! However it will take a long time to build. It's 1400 hammers on just Universities and then I still got to build Oxford itself. My capital have very little production so it's an extremely looong term investment. I will probably have to burn my saved Great Scientist to bulb Education to speed things up.

4) Paper->Printing Press

Gets a decent amount of immediate benefit, Printing Press is not overly expensive. Not a bad option.

5) Banking

Now this is interesting, this is very cheap and a few banks in my key commerce cities would do wonders for my economy.

I've mulled this over for a long time, and in the end I've decided on Banking for now. It's cheap enough for me to 1-turn it with overflow from last turn and start on a few banks soon. After that I'm leaning towards Steel to keep warring.

The decisions made in the next few turns will likely decide the game for me. If stars align I've still got a small chance at winning, but one misstep and I will follow Yuri out of the exit door.

I really like posts like this. nod

I LOVE statements like this: "(Jowy would be North Korea, which seems fitting...)" rolf

(July 15th, 2014, 14:34)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: I really like posts like this. nod

I LOVE statements like this: "(Jowy would be North Korea, which seems fitting...)" rolf

Happy to provide the popcorn .

However, in my last post I made the big mistake of thinking I have several good choices to go for. Why? Because this game decides to throw me this curveBaII:

What do we see here?

Yuri eliminated. GGWP
I built Notre Dame. jive

BaII cancels open borders, revolt into Theocracy/Slavery and researching Replaceable Parts before Education. yikes

In ~5 turns or so, he will have Rifles and Calvary and that's pretty dangerous for me.

Gonna have to figure out what to do next...

BaII is now researching Education, I give up.

(July 18th, 2014, 22:15)Gawdzak Wrote: BaII is now researching Education, I give up.

To elaborate on this, I can't make good reaction to other player's moves if I don't understand what they are trying to do. Maybe I'm just bad at this game or bad at reading people. noidea

Anyways a quick update on what's been going on here.

Settled a new city. And wow it's expensive, 10 gpt at size 1! I'm going to build the Forbidden Palace in a former Yuri city, so hopefully that would help.

The tech situation:
Bismark: Nakor
Ragnar: Furungy
Izzy: Slowchee
Darius: Zanth
Lizzie: Former Catwalk
Vicky: BaII
Huayna: Jowy
Mansa: Mardoc

Not Pictured: TBS, 2metra

Added some random commentary.

Demos, I'm number 1 in land area, believe it or not.

You just ate your neighbor. I can believe you're tops in land area. That was the point in killing Yuri in the first place I presume.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(July 22nd, 2014, 19:39)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: You just ate your neighbor. I can believe you're tops in land area. That was the point in killing Yuri in the first place I presume.

I guess I've just been behind in this game for so long. As a result, I'm shocked to see that I'm actually doing well in, honestly, anything.

Still debating my next move, meanwhile here's a shot of the empire turn 176.

Is it viable to conquer Jowy? Or do you need to consolidate ex-Yurilands?

(July 26th, 2014, 21:45)Azza Wrote: Is it viable to conquer Jowy? Or do you need to consolidate ex-Yurilands?

It's definitely possible but I don't think it's desirable at the current time. Why? Because my major production cities are like 20-30 tiles away from the Jowy border, which will be a logistic nightmare. In addition, BaII already have Cuirassiers and is 1 tech away from Calvary and Rifles so he can be dangerous if I leave my back exposed. Mardoc is also researching Military Science so he can also be very dangerous.

On top of that, even if I do conquer Jowy I will be bordering Dick, who have Redcoats. This would just add another border that I can't realistically defend.

To attack anyone else in this game at the moment would probably require one of my neighbours to be occupied.

A lot of my neighbours are also currently researched/researching Astro, so they can be a pain in the sea. I think my next move will be to beeline Railroads, to get RR into play, have cannons to boaster my military, defend my land with Machine Guns and have Ironclads in the sea. But that's like at least 30 turns in the future. The only question is whether to build Oxford first or not.

Anyways big stuff happened this turn:

Krill played for Nakor and raze two of Zanth/Gavagai's cities. yikes

Some wars are being fought between TBS, 2metra, and Furungy.

I also got PP this turn, which combine with a bank finished in capital, is actually a big boost in my economy.

Demos.

Zanth started drafting Rifles.