I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(August 11th, 2015, 11:41)dtay Wrote: Fwiw I was selling, not gifting, an extra Coal to TBS for I think 40gpt. Weirdly, for having no coal in my own, Whosit's or CH's lands I ended up with 3 coal at one point, 1 bought (for less than 40) off of BGN, 1 culture-stolen from the Hindu holy city cause I had artist-bombed it before Pind(and then Finharry) took it (ultimately lost this one) and 1 that popped on a mine.

Compared to xenu I think I (obviously) adhere to a somewhat looser principle of non-interference. Don't know that I could spell out precisely whatever my own self-imposed rules are, it's some weighting of 1) do the things that make your civ better, 2) Continue withing reason built-up diplomatic history with people from that game, 3) ceteris paribus don't interfere with the people trying to win.

2 is where the tricky stuff is, notably that phrase "within reason". I don't think the problem is a simple as that people act emotionally and do thing for revenge, or for returning favors. That is part of the game, you're playing MP, and frankly I don't think it could be effectively banned. The problem is the game of civ 4 isn't really designed well enough to create balance in such an environment, so some of the tactics available to players seeking revenge to trying to help each other are far too powerful. Great Person Gifting, City Gifting, and end-of-game research funding are obvious examples of tactics within the game mechanics that make it far too easy to help one player instead of another, with little recourse available to the 3rd party.

I feel similarly about things like spite-whipping multiple units in queue and self-pillaging improvement for denial. The motivation makes sense, deny things to your enemy. It's entirely within the game mechanics. I don't blame people for doing it. It's not cheating. But I think we should make it cheating. They're too powerful of techniques with no effective counter, and I think their presence makes the game worse.

I refuse to take ethics lessons from a Patriots fan! Argh Argh Argh

(August 11th, 2015, 16:13)spacetyrantxenu Wrote:
(August 11th, 2015, 16:01)The Black Sword Wrote: Xenu: Can we get a reload on T268 with a 10 min timer?

I can do it in a few hours.

I've reloaded to the lurker login save from T268 (1790 AD). 20 hours remain on the clock, but I've set the timer to 1 hour beginning next turn. That's the shortest period I can set it to, I'm not sure how you guys want to handle that for your blitz session. I could kick the other civs to AI and speed it up that way if you don't think that would have any (further) adverse impacts on your session.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

So did my ship launch or what?

Yes, and no. I have the save from where you launched your ship (see the next post...). But the reload is to the turn before you launched your ship. I guess it's up to OH and TBS to work out the details of their session to end the game.

Edit: Actually the next post goes in the lurker thread. In theory, TBS and OH shouldn't see that post if they're going to replay the ending, but it doesn't really matter.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Hmm, does anyone know what happens to deals when a player is kicked to AI? If they stick around, it might be best to agree peace with dtay and BGN and then kick everyone else.

(August 12th, 2015, 06:06)The Black Sword Wrote: Hmm, does anyone know what happens to deals when a player is kicked to AI? If they stick around, it might be best to agree peace with dtay and BGN and then kick everyone else.

This ruins my whole plan for world domination. But peace is fine.

I'm logged in now - I don't think any of the others have been kicked to AI yet.

Can an admin kick this lot to AI?
- GJ
- Krill
- plako
- AT
- Molach
- the Lurkers

Unless anyone wants to log in to watch the least spectacular denouement ever... lol

(August 12th, 2015, 06:06)The Black Sword Wrote: Hmm, does anyone know what happens to deals when a player is kicked to AI? If they stick around, it might be best to agree peace with dtay and BGN and then kick everyone else.

IIRC, when Dhalphir was kicked to AI it caused a cease fire with every player he was at war with.

So if I've skimmed the threads correctly we have a joint cultural and space ship victory? Well played.

I want to thank everyone for a good game, and as far as I'm concerned you're all winners who stayed the course and saw this epic undertaking through to its conclusion.
I have to run.