For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

(May 23rd, 2014, 08:38)Old Harry Wrote: Do you think that's an island south of the horses then?

I hope! nod

Quote:I like the idea of a demos screen which we aren't bumping along the bottom of, and when fishing comes in our GNP should improve too. Let's see a screenshot of it next turn!

Screenshot promised! Yeah, in general it's better to have good early demos than weak ones smile Sure, they are misleading and some civs with weak early demos will bounce up quickly, but surely some people have honestly screwed up tongue

Quote:Finally, I think we need the possibility of a trade connection to Brickadoc if we want Buddhism to spread to us - can you get a coastal route uncovered by the time Sailing comes in or will Azza be in the way?

I guess Azza blocks the northern route (I will try to reveal max amount of tiles there anyways), but this Southern water could work. It just requires that we settle for stone or W of that deer and Marbricks settle something appropriate as well. I assume that you are interested in resource trades and remember that OBs require Alphabet. mischief

(May 23rd, 2014, 08:44)Ituralde Wrote: Taken out of context that sound so much more badass than the actual game mechanic. Now I have the picture of Barbarian Zombie Wolf Warriors stuck in my head! crazyeye

Ha! lol sometimes having mediocre English skills pays off!
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Had to log in to check on the scout and demos. He survived and our GNP is still rubbish, even working two lakes. frown

Stuck tech on Archery, but I think writing-maths-currency-archery might be the winninger path...

Turn 55

Mighty Azteca:

- Ivory and Copper are now online nod
- I kept the research on Archery - it's pretty cheap, we will need it later so that we can build some HAs and most importantly I value the fact that it gives us a decent city defender that can be whipped at size 2.
- We double-whipped the settler for city 5 in the capital, I apologize OH for ruining our demos - only tied food lead for now! mischief Here they are anyways!

- Our GNP is indeed weak, but I'm not worried at all, yet, we have been just too busy working food resources! Gems come online pretty soon as well as our first cottages, which should make the situation look already much better. If we can exist peacefully I'm confident that we can create a solid economy out of this position.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turns 56-57

Awesome news: jive

So now our capital has a 1/5/1 grass mine to work! Comparable to popping copper or iron nod

In south our scout has been running away from a 3rd wolf and found probably our final hut:

I guess we want to heal the scout first so that we don't pop healing instead of Sailing? I think we promote it to Woody I to speed up the process?

At home it's granary time:

- Alfie finished its granary last turn with overflow from settler build. Exact 60/60 hammers made it my favorite part of our current micro plan tongue
- I whipped granary in Daisy
- Next turn Cornelius will whip one as well and then all our 4 core cities have granaries, which is good news... nod
- I started an axe in Alfie, I consider it more useful than spear because Azza does not have AH yet and possibly has not settled for horses
- Butterscotch will whip the settler for our 6th city next turn.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Hooray for tin!

Healing first is fine - it'll just be two turns and I *think* there is water between us and CH so it shouldn't get poached... C1 is going to be more useful for a super medic later if we can get the scout to 6XP. Lets hope there is experience in the hut!

Warrior in the NW could cut off all barb spawns there by moving N-NW.

Re: the axe, should it be an archer for cheap MP? Or are the barbs going to get Bronze Working soon?

(May 26th, 2014, 11:57)Old Harry Wrote: C1 is going to be more useful for a super medic later if we can get the scout to 6XP. Lets hope there is experience in the hut!

Don't jinx it!! nono C1 is fine for me so I'll take that though!

Quote:Warrior in the NW could cut off all barb spawns there by moving N-NW.

Currently the wounded bear is fogbusting on that exact tile for us! But I'll head that way if wildlife allows!

Quote:Re: the axe, should it be an archer for cheap MP? Or are the barbs going to get Bronze Working soon?

I think this axe will head for Azza front and I would like to have an actual metal unit there so that attacking out of the city is also possible. My opinion is not that strong here so if you prefer archers I can change it too. Note that Daisy will produce an archer starting next turn.

Btw, Azza's power has been flat so there aren't yet anything more dangerous than warriors running around (of course graphs update slowly..)

Barbs probably still need at least 20-25 turns before they have bronze. That's naturally only my rough estimate..
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Bad news this time..

I went in to pause for couple of players and found this:

There is warrior + settler from Azza. Some options:

1. Ultra-aggressive:
Move two warriors + settler onto that hill between sheep+pig and declare to Azza. If Azza found the city where he stands, we try to raze it and settle our own city. He might back off or found the city 1W or something.. Anyways, that destroys relations, but might get our preferred city

2. Semi-aggressive/neutral:
Move two warriors + settler onto that hill, but not declare. That means that Azza can't settle the plains hill, because we are there first, which makes our border more peaceful, but he probably settles in place and we need to move somewhere else

3. Passive
We back off, let him found the city and go for sugar city instead. Benefit compared to option 2 is that our settler gets in place one turn faster. But metawise this might be weaker, because if we don't show the settler + 2 warriors Azza won't know that we are nice neighbors..

Hmmm.... We are off to a nice start and could maybe accept some kind of a compromise, but we could also be greedy and gamble and see if Azza starts a grudge war or backs off or something..
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I like 2. Force him to settle on flat ground or lose the site. No real reason to declare this turn even if we choose to attack next, anyway.

I'm curious as to why his units are on the flat ground if heading to the plains hill.

(May 27th, 2014, 15:15)TheHumanHydra Wrote: I like 2. Force him to settle on flat ground or lose the site. No real reason to declare this turn even if we choose to attack next, anyway.

I'm curious as to why his units are on the flat ground if heading to the plains hill.

The reason to declare would be that our units won't be teleported away so if he settles on flat ground so we could raze the city (or get at least a shot of razing the city)

Maybe he is not heading for plains hill, it's possible that he does not know that sheep exist or simply wants to get ivory into first ring. Although, Azza whipped his capital on T55 (presumably this settler) so maybe he is on his way to "our" plains hill and just put his units on to that specific flat tile, because he knew from his vision that only place where a threatening one-mover could have been was that plains tile NE of settler+warrior.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Re: teleport - right, duh. I still think no. 2 though, because I don't think two warriors get good odds on one, and maybe the teleport will reimburse our movement away from that other site.