Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

Turn 83

Long awaited T83.. These are the turns that one enjoys when it's still all about peaceful expansion nod

1. E & G popped borders and we finally have seafood and happy from whales has been immediately put to good use nod
2. I started a spearman in Flossie despite the fact that Azza does not have horses connected. Somehow I felt like it will be more useful long-term and we don't need another axe from there. Say if you want me to change it..
3. Greedy part of me is thinking about settling for those furs (on them or 1N).. Hmm... Barry is down to one city up in the north and we havent met pindicator yet.. I wonder if we could get away with it and add a luxury resource to our empire..
4. We turned tech on and broke 100 beakers per turn for the first time jive

5. Jelly Bean was founded. The city will work first two cottage turns and then borrow pigs from the capital. If you look closely you can find 4 unmoved workers, I'm considering chopping a granary immediately into the city. With avoid growth on T87 we can fill the granary before growing to size 2 and I'm leaning towards that. I'm going to check quickly other micro implications before actually deciding though.
6. The mountain in the upper left corner now has 50/50 culture between us and Azza. Azza's name is still on top so we probably won't get the tile until EOT84.
7. Our wounded barb spear is hanging next to Cornelius, we could kill it with 96 % odds, but well, why not improve the odds and wait that it comes down from that hill (I probably move an axe next to it on flat ground, last turn the spear skipped the fight as we had +75 % def bonus). I don't think we need to force a 2 XP battle here, but if you OH want, I'm fine with rolling the dice here.
8. Our capital uses its overflow from library and produces an axe, originally I was leaning towards barracks, but now that I played extra safely with that spear and have our axes in the east, I want an axe that can protect Hazelnut from barbs and fogbust southern tundra a bit.
9. Workers finished a WB chop at Izzy and the growth curve finally improves there. Now that we are going for Alphabet I'm slightly undecided whether we want to chop-whip granary or galley there next.

Fish resources make our food stat finally respectable again and cottages (+ of course turning tech on) are starting to do some work for our GNP as well:

Nobody has foreign trade routes yet (or there are even trades going), so we might be first ones to something in this game crazyeye

Azza's power is respectable, but not especially scary:

As a bonus our victory and financial advisory screens:

Kind of surprisingly Azza's 5 cities are enough for most land of our neighbors. Monuments and inland cities are the explanation.

City maintenance attributes to more than half of our costs, sacrificial altars will surely do us some work in this game.

(June 25th, 2014, 08:32)Ceiliazul Wrote: too easy! ahem:

duh

Quote:I demand the blood of 2 azzan workers and a cheater hater fishnet.

Ha! I doubt I'll ever witness the day when lurkers demand peaceful expansion and friendly relations!

Quote:failing that, predictions for the next twenty turns, both global and regional. who dies, who will rise? and how many turns will Parkin be playing by t100?

- Barry will die... rolleye
- Maybe Jowy as well (I haven't paid enough attention to score changes to know for sure, but he can't have too many cities on board)
- Azza and Mardoc will start a hot war! please (well, not really putting my money on it)
- Both Cheater Hater and Cyneheard won't accept our OB offer and boat us (again, I'm not really putting money on that)
- OH, THH & retep all demand blood, but I keep wussying out and we have Currency and Calendar or CoL by T103.. mischief
- We will hang around the 5th place in score
- Dtay will keep the first place in score thanks to his Oracle-related score and maybe also builds the Colossus (if he took standard MC and not something awesome) and leads the field for the next 50 turns
- Pyramids will fall, maybe MoM as well.
- Krill+Novice will be at least in TOP7 measured by score
- Parking plays way too many turns averaging 3.5 + lurker civ.. rolleye
- There will be 2 interesting wars for lurkers and some minor conflicts (one involving a Parkin vs Parkin situation), but the game won't be such a mess as PB13 was at this phase
- Xenu starts a rage war mischief

Hmm.. I guess that was not too interesting.. It's pretty difficult when you know so little about what's actually happening.. It might be a good thing, but civstats is much easier tool for recognizing conflicts and tracking score changes (I only check occasionally, e.g. when big wonders fall and pay some attention to our known neighbors).
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: 1. E & G popped borders and we finally have seafood and happy from whales has been immediately put to good use nod
2. I started a spearman in Flossie despite the fact that Azza does not have horses connected. Somehow I felt like it will be more useful long-term and we don't need another axe from there. Say if you want me to change it..
3. Greedy part of me is thinking about settling for those furs (on them or 1N).. Hmm... Barry is down to one city up in the north and we havent met pindicator yet.. I wonder if we could get away with it and add a luxury resource to our empire..
4. We turned tech on and broke 100 beakers per turn for the first time jive
5. Jelly Bean was founded. The city will work first two cottage turns and then borrow pigs from the capital. If you look closely you can find 4 unmoved workers, I'm considering chopping a granary immediately into the city. With avoid growth on T87 we can fill the granary before growing to size 2 and I'm leaning towards that. I'm going to check quickly other micro implications before actually deciding though.
6. The mountain in the upper left corner now has 50/50 culture between us and Azza. Azza's name is still on top so we probably won't get the tile until EOT84.
7. Our wounded barb spear is hanging next to Cornelius, we could kill it with 96 % odds, but well, why not improve the odds and wait that it comes down from that hill (I probably move an axe next to it on flat ground, last turn the spear skipped the fight as we had +75 % def bonus). I don't think we need to force a 2 XP battle here, but if you OH want, I'm fine with rolling the dice here.
8. Our capital uses its overflow from library and produces an axe, originally I was leaning towards barracks, but now that I played extra safely with that spear and have our axes in the east, I want an axe that can protect Hazelnut from barbs and fogbust southern tundra a bit.
9. Workers finished a WB chop at Izzy and the growth curve finally improves there. Now that we are going for Alphabet I'm slightly undecided whether we want to chop-whip granary or galley there next.

1. dancing
2. I prefer the spear due to Celiazul's Law Of Civ Combat (CLOCC?) - you can always whip units against 1-movers, but not necessarily 2-movers.
3. Probably not worth it - Cynheard is too close frown.
4. dancing
5. I trust your analysis - growing it faster is good, but only if there are cottages to grow onto...
6. popcorn Getting sight on that border city is going to be huge.
7. No rush, let him make it a 1XP battle.
8. I like the axe. An axe+archer in Hazelnut would be good to prevent CH being tempted to boat the city.
9. I can't remember if it matters :P

Azza's power is fine given that it will be split between us and Mardoc while ours is all on his border. We need to be running way more of a farmer's gambit!

(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: - Barry will die... rolleye

I wonder if he'd be up for taking over for Darrell?

(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: - OH, THH & retep all demand blood, but I keep wussying out and we have Currency and Calendar or CoL by T103.. mischief

Ha! Wasn't Retep demanding a farmers gambit a little while ago?

(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: - We will hang around the 5th place in score

frown

(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: Hmm.. I guess that was not too interesting.. It's pretty difficult when you know so little about what's actually happening.. It might be a good thing, but civstats is much easier tool for recognizing conflicts and tracking score changes (I only check occasionally, e.g. when big wonders fall and pay some attention to our known neighbors).

I liked it, you're always very good at strategic speculation Fintourist. Also I'm not sure I can take the wait to find out what's happening everywhere else... And with no map trading it's going to be the end of the game before that happens!

(June 26th, 2014, 15:58)Old Harry Wrote:
(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: 9. Workers finished a WB chop at Izzy and the growth curve finally improves there. Now that we are going for Alphabet I'm slightly undecided whether we want to chop-whip granary or galley there next.

9. I can't remember if it matters :P

I had time to do some sandboxing today nod

Here is what I would like to do with Izzy:
T88: chop into granary
T89: chop into galley
T90: granary whipped
T91: 2nd chop into galley
T92: settler that Cornelius finishes EOT90 loads into galley
T93: settler+scout unloaded onto island
T94/95: Island city founded

PS. I also went for granary chop for J, cottages will be in place. Hazelnut loses couple of food due to slower lighthouse, but Jelly wins a lot more..

Quote:Azza's power is fine given that it will be split between us and Mardoc while ours is all on his border. We need to be running way more of a farmer's gambit!

lol Actually I think our score is a bit inflated through techs, barracks and more pop points mischief But I still agree with your point. After Mardoc's declaration Azza mush have most of his units in the west. (as you said I'm really looking forward to that mountain vision though..)

IIRC we are founding cities T92, T94, T95 and T96 in my sandbox, we just need to squeeze one more so that we reach 15 cities by T100. mischief

Btw, I think I'm strongly leaning toward Currency before Masonry, in my Izzy micro workers are not ready to start improving stone before T92 anyways, our moai city does not create that many hammers (and we can queue some overflow). Stone-powered chops into mids are of course nice, but getting Currency 2 turns earlier will be awesome.. I think we get it latest by EOT93, maybe even EOT92.

(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: - Barry will die... rolleye
I wonder if he'd be up for taking over for Darrell?[/quote]

Darrel's neighbors might be happy crazyeye or not rolleye

Quote:
(June 26th, 2014, 08:36)Fintourist Wrote: - We will hang around the 5th place in score

frown

ok fine.. I was just trying to be modest.. I promise you that we are in TOP3 then! nod Probably there will be couple of people with good start + wonder points so 1st place is probably not realistic that early even in optimistic scenarios..
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(June 26th, 2014, 15:58)Old Harry Wrote: 2. I prefer the spear due to Celiazul's Law Of Civ Combat (CLOCC?) - you can always whip units against 1-movers, but not necessarily 2-movers.

I'm honored, but I'm sure that's not quite right. I probably said something like, "when you need a spear you need it faster than when you need an axe." Even 1 movers sometimes sneak in without good whip opportunities.

On the other hand, "Clocc" I like. thumbsup

Turn 84 - starters

The game is waiting for a reload, but here are the breaking news...

dancing

jive

mischief

popcorn

That is promising.. Let there be a bunch of wasted hammers and hurt feelings... mischief And yeah, I'm not just celebrating the glorious victory that our axe performed during the interturn..

(June 26th, 2014, 19:08)Ceiliazul Wrote:
(June 26th, 2014, 15:58)Old Harry Wrote: 2. I prefer the spear due to Celiazul's Law Of Civ Combat (CLOCC?) - you can always whip units against 1-movers, but not necessarily 2-movers.

I'm honored, but I'm sure that's not quite right. I probably said something like, "when you need a spear you need it faster than when you need an axe." Even 1 movers sometimes sneak in without good whip opportunities.

On the other hand, "Clocc" I like. thumbsup

Hey, hey, hey. No excuses there. CLOCC must be followed by the word and without any doubting. Trying to reformulate something as substantial as CLOCC almost counts as heresy. mischief
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

lol

Congrats on your axe killing a spear. mischief

Additional news from T84:

We have met pindicator, no units visible, but probably in the north across the canal. 8 cities, iron connected, in war with Barry. That about covers it tongue

Our micro plan rolls further, 108 raw beakers go into Alphabet, 3rd in food (6 points behind the leader) and GNP. Next turn we whip again couple of pop points away though.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 85

Disappointing news: shakehead

I was slightly worried that Azza declare-peaced Mardoc so that he could attack us, but it does not really look like it:

- There are an axe, spear and a warrior in Hello Joe
- It looks like Azza settled a city S of horses (and another city somewhere else for a total of 7 cities). That's a pretty aggressive plant, but I guess somehow reasonable as he wants his horses..
- Our worker is not really in danger, because the tiles E and SE of horses will flip to us during the interturn
- Gertie whipped a lighthouse and Flossie will whip a spear next turn

Azza's power is below us so I'm not too worried and his GNP is extremely weak. If we don't go for earlier aggression I'm pretty confident that we will be far ahead of him when we reach maces/knights/stuff era.

Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I had a quick look in game and added a couple more c? signs down in the tundra - I suspect that we'll want cities closer together as they are going to be smaller and work fewer tiles each - but that could just be nonsense from an overtired brain neenerneener. I'll try and remember to do a map stitch of our known territory next time I log in...

Only Oxy is left to play, so the turn could roll and we could have Alphabet any time in the next three hours. Are you (Fintourist) poised to log in to offer OBs around or should I be waiting by my keyboard?

(June 30th, 2014, 14:31)Old Harry Wrote: I had a quick look in game and added a couple more c? signs down in the tundra - I suspect that we'll want cities closer together as they are going to be smaller and work fewer tiles each - but that could just be nonsense from an overtired brain neenerneener. I'll try and remember to do a map stitch of our known territory next time I log in...

Excellent! thumbsup

Quote:Only Oxy is left to play, so the turn could roll and we could have Alphabet any time in the next three hours. Are you (Fintourist) poised to log in to offer OBs around or should I be waiting by my keyboard?

I'm here, but most definitely whoever notices the roll first should go in and offer OBs. Targets are Cheater Hater and Cyneheard. Actually Cheter Hater has 9 cities, which is almost enough for full trade routes before Currency, but I guess we don't care about supporting two opponents and just offer them both immediately (also useful in case one of them declines and Currency comes soon anyways). I think pindicator is the 3rd option (and relevant when we reach Currency), but I'm not 100 % sure whether we have revealed enough fog for OBs and I don't want to support him as he is consolidating his gains from Barry Lyndon. Routes with Azza and Mardoc are less valuable to us and I don't want to offer them as I would like them to be as backward as possible. If e.g. Azza notices that we have Alphabet and asks for OBs it's a tough call though because we want to be his best friends until we unleash our backstab

How do you see the situation?
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3