Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

To clarify my thoughts on the tech path, we should skip Meditation and grab Priesthood with the overflow next turn. This is because:
- We'll want a forge before anything else in Alfie and we can easily complete the tech when the monastery is needed
- We only lose about 15 beakers worth of pre-req bonus on Priesthood
- Having an incomplete cheap tech could be tactically useful later
- We save the cost of Meditation (200 beakers?) on our way to Guilds
- We want Priesthood because the pre-req bonus for Monarchy is almost equal to the cost of Priesthood itself

Do you think we can 1-turn Metal Casting on the last turn of the GA?

On religion - the order that they get spread in each city starts with Judaism, then if successful no other religions can spread there. I dunno what overall effect that has on the odds. Also someone worked out where the break points for odds of religion spread by distance were, it sounded like anything within 10-20 tiles (it's a precise number but depends on world size) has a good chance while beyond that its pretty unlikely. So Mardoc's holy city doesn't have many other cities near it, while dtay's is right in the middle of a big landmass. Also he may have shrined it earlier for the increased spread odds. Which reminds me - has Mardoc actually built a shrine yet?

An illustrated history of Aztec exploration

In the year Turn 100 the intrepid explorer "Scout" set off to uncover the uncharted lands to our east. His progress is steady, uncovering a warlike continent packed full of Zulu, Viking and Ethiopian nations. Tempers are short in this unenlightened land and further deplorable violence seems inevitable nono. Scout promises more foreign contacts before the Turn is over.

In the year Turn 104 the other intrepid explorer "Scout" set off to our north to investigate the cruel Chinese civilization whip. He has uncovered many wonders in their lands (although not the Hindu Shrine rolleye, EDIT: Or any actual wonders duh) and is now moving to greet the Egyptian and Native American peoples and spread our message of love flower. Previously he had uncovered the wonders (EDIT: No actual wonders found duh) of the Arabian wastes and the Iberian peninsula, a land which will surely benefit from a more, shall we say, Imperialist rule pat.

With the recent expansion we now have a strong footing in our little continent, and who knows what the future may bring... shhh

And to continue on that:

Screw you lurker civ!

In your face Parkin! (quote from OH)

(well, I did not leave research on, but hey, I consider that as a landmark for overthrowing India's EP economy..)
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Three things:
1. Our exports/imports ratio is the worst in the world! Should we consider cancelling with Pindi and dtay or will Scout need to head through their lands in future?
2. We think BGN built Angkor Wat (although it might have been Xenu or Q)
3. Playing first on a 48 hour turn is going to make me very bored, I'll need to invent things to talk about. Sorry.

(August 5th, 2014, 04:26)Old Harry Wrote: Three things:
1. Our exports/imports ratio is the worst in the world! Should we consider cancelling with Pindi and dtay or will Scout need to head through their lands in future?

I think pindi has enough trade routes anyways so no reason to bother with him, but there is a chance that we are helping dtay quite a bit. We could cancel the routes in couple of turns when our galley+scout are through his lands (note that we would lose couple of commerce, because dtay has one or two cities that provide Alfie 4/5 commerce routes).
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 115

Let's post some random stuff..

Meet Snowdrop! And unlike with "Rocky" this time the delayed work boat is deliberate as the city needs 3 artist turns to get fish inside its borders. Actually it's early this time.. rolleye But note +300 gpt jive

EDIT: And note that this is one of the very few cases where you want lighthouse before granary.. I did not bother doing the math though so if anyone has too much free time.. lol

And now that we have one further city we might as well brag a little. Here are the city counts of people that we have met:

Old Human Touret(te's) 19
dtay 16
WilliamLP 14
pindicator 14
Mardoc 12
Ruff 11
Cyneheard 10
Cheater Hater 10
Azza 10
Whosit 9
Furungy 8
Dhalphir 8
Barry 1
Parkin 1 mischief

1. City count is not everything unfortunately, several of our cities will forever be crappy tundra iceball cities while everything we have seen from dtay's land so far is just beautiful.
2. At this point one really should sit at 13-14 cities at least, otherwise something has gone wrong (either due to your own playing or neighbors or mapmaker..) mischief
3. Despite the fact that Mardoc and Azza have weakened each other it seems to me that our neighbors still aren't the easiest ones in this game. Surely they are not doing the best either so I guess we have had an average or somewhat above average luck in this aspect. Time will tell.. popcorn
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

jive

(August 5th, 2014, 14:21)Fintourist Wrote: EDIT: And note that this is one of the very few cases where you want lighthouse before granary.. I did not bother doing the math though so if anyone has too much free time.. lol

Aaaand of course I had to do it myself and I guess granary just always wins :P In 25 turns the city will be 10 food ahead and has produced 6 more commerce if we prioritize it over lighthouse. Hmm, I guess if that food resource would be crabs instead of fish lighthouse could win the race (or it would be a bit closer), but I'm not gonna calculate hypothetical situations! mischief
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 115 part 2

While I changed Snowdrop's first build I thought I might well finish reporting this turn as well..

Blaah, apart from having a great start dtay now also got a great event (lots of gold). And pindicator also finished a tech-boosting quest (no idea how good is that, probably pretty good as he went for it).

Settler for city no.20 incoming.. Next turn Gertie can also grow again. nod This city really wants that SA so that we can double-whip it constantly (and it still grows too fast). I guess Gertie will provide all our settlers and workers from now on for the rest of the game.. crazyeye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(August 5th, 2014, 16:56)Fintourist Wrote:
(August 5th, 2014, 14:21)Fintourist Wrote: EDIT: And note that this is one of the very few cases where you want lighthouse before granary.. I did not bother doing the math though so if anyone has too much free time.. lol

Aaaand of course I had to do it myself and I guess granary just always wins :P In 25 turns the city will be 10 food ahead and has produced 6 more commerce if we prioritize it over lighthouse. Hmm, I guess if that food resource would be crabs instead of fish lighthouse could win the race (or it would be a bit closer), but I'm not gonna calculate hypothetical situations! mischief

Aww, you beat me to it... granary always wins unless you're ORG!

On city count the other thing to remember is that we're IMP, so founding new cities is cheap. Most of the competition are PRO or IND or ORG so get to set up their cities fast instead.

Finally after the sacrificial altar in Gertie we can get another three happy from a market. Have you decided what HR mp it'll get in four turns?