Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

(August 5th, 2014, 18:28)Old Harry Wrote: Finally after the sacrificial altar in Gertie we can get another three happy from a market. Have you decided what HR mp it'll get in four turns?

Nope! But I think Kirby will immediately whip one extra happiness in the form of Hindu Missionary assuming we select that religion.. So Gertie's happy cap development looks like that:

T117: Size 9 (whip unhappy wears off)
T119: Size 10 (HR/existing archer)
T122: Size 11 (Hindu happiness)
T127: Size 12 (last whip unhappy wears off, probably 2/3 turns earlier as we are about to complete SA

You're right that something needs to be done here so maybe we want a quick archer just for MP, or just bring in a temporary HA or two into city while the city is heading towards market+forge happiness? Or both.. Double-whipping HAs/cats while overflowing into happiness infra? I haven't thought this through yet..
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Gertie would make an excellent Horse Archer staging point! I'm also happy with building another cheap Archer or two here over the next few turns while we can still get them. Also - is it worth growing the city into unhappiness before we get HR so we can work those Golden Age tiles (for one turn) immediately once we revolt? Then building the Forge and Market with OR gives us another four happy...

Once we've moved on to more advanced units (Longbows and/or Maces?) for our vulnerable border and coastal cities the Archers and Warriors currently manning them can head back to Alfie and Gertie. I think we want decent defences (2-3 Longbows) in Kirby, Englbert and Hazelnut, with zone defence units available for Butterscotch, Gertie, Marmalade and Ophelia. Hopefully our Azzan border will be covered by the units we're going to make war with hammer.

I'm getting the fear.

(August 6th, 2014, 04:49)Old Harry Wrote: Gertie would make an excellent Horse Archer staging point! I'm also happy with building another cheap Archer or two here over the next few turns while we can still get them.

nod

Quote:Also - is it worth growing the city into unhappiness before we get HR so we can work those Golden Age tiles (for one turn) immediately once we revolt? Then building the Forge and Market with OR gives us another four happy...

Do you mean that we grow let's say eot117 & eot118, have one frown during the t118, but get 2 units into Gertie on t119 when we revolt into HR and are then 1 size bigger than we otherwise would? Mmmm.. marginally? Depending on growth cycle we would be trading 2 or 4 food into 2 hammers and 4 commerce (+slightly higher maintenance costs). I guess the biggest upside is that we don't need to stagnate on a settler build, although we do have a spot for city #21 as well so it's not a complete waste. Hmm... Nice unconventional idea thumbsup

Quote:Once we've moved on to more advanced units (Longbows and/or Maces?) for our vulnerable border and coastal cities the Archers and Warriors currently manning them can head back to Alfie and Gertie. I think we want decent defences (2-3 Longbows) in Kirby, Englbert and Hazelnut, with zone defence units available for Butterscotch, Gertie, Marmalade and Ophelia. Hopefully our Azzan border will be covered by the units we're going to make war with hammer.

Sounds good, although we don't want to play too conservatively and stuff every border city with units. We need to play by the ear and also trust that our high power rating (in the future) will do a decent job of intimidating possible aggressors. Of course, when Galleons start appearing we need to step up our defenses a bit, but for now I'm not especially worried for Butterscotch & Englbert etc..

(August 6th, 2014, 06:40)Old Harry Wrote: I'm getting the fear.

lol

Well at least mack is far away and TBH if he does not get a free empire gifted there are at least 10 civs that we should fear more at this point (not because of pure skill, but because of skill+position and Nakor wasn't/isn't doing too well). Famous last words? mischief
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 116 starters

Should we be happy that our neighbor goes to war?

Mmmmaybe? Somehow I feel that this is an invitation for dtay to take couple of extra cities while CH is doing the hard work.. shakehead Oh well, CH's power is high enough that in the near future it does not seem likely that we could backstab him and invading with galleys is pretty damn ineffective anyways. Maybe we want to grab graphs of Whosit+dtay so that we have a better feeling on what is happening on that continent? We are currently making +12 EPs and couple of new SAs are going to be finished soon so getting graphs from people is fairly easy. Only problem is that there are 32 candidates out there.. :P

Btw, we met AT with our WB scout in the very NW.

And this will be nice for our capital (academy):

We finish Priesthood with overflow+scientists and will save some cash next turn. At the start of T119 we will have over 1500 gold saved, which should be enough for 7.5 turns of full research. I dunno what our after-GA tech rate is, but we should get at the very least 4000 actual beakers together during those 8 turns of research, which is enough for Monarchy, MC, Construction, Feudalism and Machinery (and maybe even some part of Guilds). Tech will be flying..

So nice to have a good Bureaucracy capital for a change nod
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

So HA rush Azza when the GA ends? You could definitely take/raze his capital in 2 turns.

Maybe you think is too soon, but hey I'm lurker I want blood.

(August 6th, 2014, 21:18)retep Wrote: So HA rush Azza when the GA ends? You could definitely take/raze his capital in 2 turns.

Maybe you think is too soon, but hey I'm lurker I want blood.

There are a few reasons for not attacking Azza with HAs:
- We aren't far enough ahead in power to hold on to our gains easily
- Those gains won't be the whole of Azza's civ - we tried cripple and leave on Suttree and Ichabod in PB13 with less than perfect results nono
- If we don't kill Azza we have to worry about him and Mardoc, I'd rather they keep up their ancient-age stalemate smile
- He hasn't built us an academy yet - not that he necessarily will, but I live in hope - I can see Palace, Madrassa and Granary here, have I missed anything?

There is one good reason for getting on with it:
- He's 3 turns from Construction

We're building up very slowly at the moment (up to three HAs now!) so if a hot war breaks out between Azza and Mardoc (not looking likely in the next few turns) we'll could be in a position to take advantage, but we'll only have about 5-10 HAs.

In other news Plako's scout meets our culture - do we offer open borders? I'd suggest it doesn't benefit either of us much.

Up north I didn't show Pindicator's lands properly before. We've explored a strip straight through his middle.

This shows the cities he's taken from Barry and dtay. dtay does have a couple of cities on his continent though so hopefully there will be further tension there popcorn.

There is a decision to be made for Scout - he could follow the coastline west and north to explore AutomatedTeller's land - camera flying makes me think there is a land connection to use - or he could come back through Cynheard and Pindicator's lands to give us a better idea of what the competition is up to.

(August 7th, 2014, 05:55)Old Harry Wrote: - We aren't far enough ahead in power to hold on to our gains easily
- Those gains won't be the whole of Azza's civ - we tried cripple and leave on Suttree and Ichabod in PB13 with less than perfect results nono

I played through an attack with a force of five Knights and a Mace in the south and three Knights, four Maces and eight HAs in the north. Against a similar level of defence that Azza has now (and C1 Holkans because I set Azza up as Ragnar of Maya in the sandbox duh).

Due to the way his cities are laid out he's going to find reinforcing tricky and the culture gets swept away remarkably fast meaning it was way too easy. It helped that I gave myself Engineering just to play on easy mode (Boo-urns survives an extra turn if you don't have it). Spoilers for being imaginary wish fulfillment:

(note a bunch of forests disappear for no apparent reason - yay! worldbuilder!)

(note the funny Boo-urns corner culture that doesn't disappear until the turn rolls)

At this point healing up in this hill city with the GG medic we're guaranteed to have created already seems like a good option.
So perhaps we could attack earlier with just HAs, Longbows and Maces while we're on our way to Guilds, then the knights will arrive on the front just as we reach Mardoc's border...

Anyway, that's all still far in the future, at least ten turns or so. nod

Reasons? bah

I want blod protest

In a more serioous note. What techs have the other players? Are you ahead of beakers?

Nice sim OH! I guess the war is practically won already mischief

(August 7th, 2014, 22:22)retep Wrote: Reasons? bah

I want blod protest

In a more serioous note. What techs have the other players? Are you ahead of beakers?

Ha! It wasn't that long ago when retep you told us to calm down and wait for knights!

Re beakers: Difficult to say, because in this mod techs of others are revealed by Paper, not Alphabet. So we really know only where Azza stands (which is far away, Maths, Sailing, HBR and soon Construction, but no Currency for example). Anyways, our economy is now in great shape, but I would imagine that there are 3-5 teams that still have more beakers collected. Our tech rate was pretty weak during the early game, we did not get early techs from huts and e.g did not build Oracle. After we have burned our cash from GA I would imagine that we will be at least in Top 3 though. Btw, note the Great Artist in the event log from my last turn report. That must mean that somebody grabbed the free artist from Music.

Btw, vol.2. just remembered that Angkor War is enabled by Philosophy so that really must be BGN, who got the wonder (earlier we speculated couple of other options as well). So Taoism shrine will be incoming for him..
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3