Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

This is possibly the biggest mistake of our civ career. cry You can imagine how frustrating it is when you spend time every turn to win a hammer or food here and there and with one click you waste ~800 gold, ~250 hammers, ~150 food surplus, some EPs and new cities will take longer to come out of revolt... That's basically what that one extra turn of anarchy costs us shakehead

Free market will be awesome though, >200 commerce extra per turn so it's worth even 2 turns of anarchy. But you know, if we had just revolted at the start of the turn we would not have wasted all those aforementioned resources. This is basically a comparable loss to simply deleting a great merchant or something like that.

You know, we even had discussed about anarchy turns a while ago, but we did not search for the exact formula and when we played last turn it did not cross our minds that new captures (and specifically that 34th city) might push us over the limit.. shakehead

Oh well, gifting one extra turn to all our opponents is a big setback, almost a game-losing move. But now it's already a sunken cost. We just need to keep pushing and win this thing despite handicapping us. tongue
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Too bad with the civic switchcry.

How soon do you plan the next GA? And one thing got me wondering, why did you not kill the Mardoc GG after killing the WE? I guess with engi and so many 2-movers you could have sent some HA to deal with it. Or did you decide it's more important to steal workers and take cities and you couldn't afford to have even one unit down there?

Oh, I think one extra turn of anarchy is unlikely to be the sole cause of not winning. I think it unlikely that anyone plays a perfect Civ game, so if you don't win, it's probably because of a series of mistakes rather than just one.

(October 21st, 2014, 09:46)von Adlercreutz Wrote: Too bad with the civic switchcry.

How soon do you plan the next GA? And one thing got me wondering, why did you not kill the Mardoc GG after killing the WE? I guess with engi and so many 2-movers you could have sent some HA to deal with it. Or did you decide it's more important to steal workers and take cities and you couldn't afford to have even one unit down there?

bang Of course if I'd noticed that the revolt was now two turns before pressing the button we could have left UV empty for Mardoc to recapture. Hmmm. That isn't helping alright.

We'll get one GP from Englebert in about ten turns, hopefully a great spy to go scout BGN without him realising. The next one after that could be a Scientist/low odds Artist or Spy from Kirby or a Merchant/Spy from Cornelius if we get a Scientist from Englebert. That'll be another 20-30 turns away though, possibly in time for a State Property switch...

I did kill the GG with a slightly injured Knight - I didn't report it as it wasn't a risky battle and it was getting late tongue.

(October 21st, 2014, 10:17)Grimace Wrote: Oh, I think one extra turn of anarchy is unlikely to be the sole cause of not winning. I think it unlikely that anyone plays a perfect Civ game, so if you don't win, it's probably because of a series of mistakes rather than just one.

Yeah, of course one domestic mistake does not typically lose you a game, but this is a pretty damn big one. Feel free to remind us about this when we lose a wonder/Great Person/space race/culture victory by one turn.. This could have been so easily avoided too. If I just had revolted us and not delayed it so that OH can check the happiness situation of our cities when doing unit logisitics... If one of us had just bothered to google the anarchy formula when we discussed about this earlier.. Feel free to add couple more IFs.. shakehead tongue

Ah screw it, let's kill Azza+Mardoc and then several others... and go for domination win. We will still reach nukes in time crazyeye

EDIT: Somehow this feels way worse than losing our capital in PB13. Probably because in PB13 we were so screwed from T0 and here we still kind of have realistic chances for the 1st place out of 33 contenders.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(October 21st, 2014, 13:13)Fintourist Wrote: Feel free to add couple more IFs.. shakehead tongue
If you'd looked at the "x Turns for revolution" there at the bottom of the civics screen?

alright
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 21st, 2014, 13:22)Commodore Wrote:
(October 21st, 2014, 13:13)Fintourist Wrote: Feel free to add couple more IFs.. shakehead tongue
If you'd looked at the "x Turns for revolution" there at the bottom of the civics screen?

That too :P

Although the damage was done when we took our 34th city. OH clicking that revolt button quickly just saved us from that painful discussion whether we should eat 2 turns of anarchy or wait X turns for our next GA (or somehow try to lose a city - Actually that could have been a pretty hilarious exercise). I haven't done the exact math, but I think 2 turn revolt would have been the correct choice compared to waiting, by a fair margin. Comparing 1-turn revolt with 2-turn revolt is pretty easy though.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Obviously the only thing to do is have a big falling out over blame. I think its retep's fault.

And if we need to point up a series of mistakes to prove we won't win:
- only bringing enough force to beat Azza, not mardoc too (not that taking advantage of mardoc's vulnerability was a mistake, just that it could have been easier for us)
- not winning a first-to bonus, although competing harder and still losing would have been worse
- failing to raze dtay's ch conquests, thus not locking ourselves into a mutual death-struggle for the rest of the game
- mis-clicking ha into green at 2% odds
- um... I'm genuinely struggling to come up with others, which is another reason that such a huge mistake is frustrating...

I think Canada is at fault, to be honest. Those maple-loving bastards!

(October 21st, 2014, 18:30)Grimace Wrote: I think Canada is at fault, to be honest. Those maple-loving bastards!

Harry, the next target for our knights is Grimace. Drown 'im in maple syrup!