Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

Wow, nice. I've tried several times doing that for PB20 but it always turns out looking like crap.

Alt+F gives you the satellite view (directly overhead), then I mashed about 16 images together in paint.net, lining up the tile boundaries on land as the ones at sea don't work...

While waiting for dtay to play I had a look at city specialization. This is the overview shot again.

And this is what I think we should do with each city.
NameTypeWonders builtWonders to build
AlfieCommerceOxfordWall St
ButterscotchCommerce
CorneliusCommerce
DaisyProd
EnglbertGP farm
FlossieCommerce
GertieHybridMoaiGlobe?
HazelnutProdHeroic Epicwest point
IzzyProd
Jelly BeanProd
KirbyGP farmNational EpicGlobe?
LuckyCommerce
MarmaladeGP farm
NinaProd
OpheliaCommerce
PickleProd
QuentinProd
RockyProd
SnowdropCommerce
TwinkleCommerce
Upland cressCommerce
VeggiesCommerce
WatercressHybrid
XiguaHybrid
YamCommerce
ZucchiniProdIron works, Statue of Liberty, Mt Rushmore, Eiffel Tower, Kremlin, Pentagon, 3 Gorges
AsparagusProd
BroccoliCommerce
CarrotProdForbidden Palace?
DominoProd
EndiveProdForbidden Palace?
FennelCommerce
GrassCommerce
HerbsCommerce
Iceberg LettuceCommerce
JuniperProd
KippleCommerce
LeavesProd
My FingerGP farm or Commerce
NuggetsProd
OrinocoProd
PoppetProd
QuincyCommerce
Red CabbageProd
SpikeCommerce
TerryCommerce
UrsulaCommerce
VictorCommerce

- Zucchini will be our best producer by far, so it is going to get a lot of work trying to snag wonders. If we need a backup Carrot and Endive will be decent later on.
- Will Carrot or Endive be the better Forbidden Palace?
- Xigua should stop the Library and get back to units.
- The cottages around Orinoco and Leaves are all ungrown (did someone do some pillaging Mardoc?), so workshopping and farming them makes more sense than trying to grow them IMO.
- Lots of our coastal commerce cities are building Frigates at the moment, they won't be huge research contributors anyway, so building Libraries, Harbours and Customs Houses will come later.
- Hurry up dtay.

When you gonna settle Astro Isle?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

When we need to upgrade or repair boats or we sign peace with dtay. Until then it's indefensible, so the settler is just sitting in place (hopefully) unseen.

I don't think this is Smoothfoundland all over again. shakehead

Only source of oil/uranium.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(January 1st, 2015, 18:17)Commodore Wrote: Only source of oil/uranium.

lol

Turn 177 prologue

I don't have time to play the full turn until tomorrow night, but as a bit of a teaser... Pindi and dtay signed peace frown - I think this stack is the reason. This was the first turn we didn't get a white peace offer from dtay.

Dtay is in Nationhood now and started drafting. Our target cities have some extra rifles in frown. Our mission to fork all the cities between his continents is still on though smile.

Boldly finished Rifling, so has nothing to stop him heading for Constitution. Exploring his land I haven't seen any signs of a big stack heading our way, but we shouldn't be complacent. I'll probably play quite late tomorrow evening, so comments welcome.

Turn 177

Plans changed - I'm around tonight, not tomorrow so the game moves on. Some Axes had mysteriously disappeared from Azza's last city and the only person who had logged in (and was still logged in) was BGN - so I asked if we needed to observe a turn split and he said he's just farming. If we play after him next turn and he farms a bit more we should get the city easily, as this turn:
- C1 Musket vs Archer 98%... WIN (one hit)
- Injured C2 Cuir vs Archer 95%... WIN! (one hit)
Which leaves the city with just five Archers in, while we have six units that get >85% poised to hit next turn. We still need 23 xp for our next Great General though, and if each fight was worth 2 xp IMP would get us 20 xp, so we'll need to fight dtay somewhere too bang. BTW Mardoc, I told BGN that we hadn't killed Azza ages ago because you wanted us to prolong his suffering - I don't think that's too far from the mark... :P

Over in dtaynia we have a stack of seven Frigates (one is C2) and four Galleons forking Ryan, Mayo and Moss (thanks to the 5-move Galleon). He has seven Frigates in range (with an eighth in Bell Preston), but we have one Frigate two tiles behind and another five tiles behind. This should draw a chunk of his Cavalry stack from Bell Preston to defend his north coast.

If his Frigates head for our mainland instead we have three C2 and three green Frigates poised by Astro Island, while we can bring up the selected Frigates from Ravnica to help out.

Willow Lake is the city that Krovice popped two (TWO!) Artist bombs in last turn - the moral of the story is that if you want to be top of the city list Artist bombs are the way to go. It currently has 13 Muskets on a hill behind a river along with a lot of Cannons, Wellies and Knights, so while dtay's Cavalry could kill some muskets they'd be cleaned up pretty quickly afterwards.

We settled Wilfred this turn and next turn will need another X-vegetable for Azza's capital and a Y-Guinea Pig name for the final city on our continent. Fintourist is getting itchy about continuing to expand and keeps saying odd things like "I wonder what Dreylin tastes like" and "Pindicator will be delicious, lightly fried with a nice Chianti". It's getting a bit scary. Speaking of scary, this is where Mackoti is being eaten by TBS, I wonder if we'll see any more progress?

We finally found the lurker civ. We won't be able to hit them before Paratroopers. Actually, unless the city is empty not even then. frown

Given that we're probably staying in Caste System and Free Market (we'll have to run the numbers with State Property, but the food will have to be huge to outweigh the trade route advantage of this map - at the moment our Distance Maintenance is 221, while 50 trade routes at say 5 commerce each is 250 without including multipliers or the 25% bonus to all the other trade routes) for the rest of the game are watermills a mistake? I've built two so far, and I'm wondering whether to build more or focus on workshops and farms in former Spain?

Oxford finally completes this turn and we're almost certainly going Constitution-Democracy next. Using some very dodgy maths I've figured out Zucchini can whip-cascade from a Cuir into a Grocer for 100 overflow the turn it can start building the Statue of Liberty and then can whip a Grenadier into the building for an extra 26 hammers. Good luck figuring out what any of this gibberish means:

Cuir has 87/100 hammers *1.25 forge
Grocer 139/150 *1.5 forge + OR
Gren 96/100 *1.25 forge

Basic output is 40 hammers.

Whip Cuir for 37 + 50 = 87 + 87 - 100 = 74/1.25 = 59 overflow
Whip Gren for 37 + 50 = 87 + 96 - 100 = 83/1.25 = 66 overflow
Whip Grocer for 45 + 60 = 105 + 139 - 150 = 94/1.5 = 62 overflow

so going Cuir - Gren gives us
(59+40) * 1.25 + 37 + 96 - 100 = 156 (modded down to 100)/1.25 = 80 overflow hammers
going Cuir - Grocer gives us
(59+40) * 1.5 + 45 + 139 - 150 = 182 (modded down to 150)/1.5 = 100 overflow hammers.
(avoid the modding by working more farms that turn)

By whipping individually we put an extra 59+26+22=107 hammers, by cascading Cuir-Grocer then whipping the gren later we put in 100 + 26 = 126 hammers
Demos and power - we'll get research visibility on William this turn, then either do similar for TBS or Joey or try for city visibility on BGN (needs around 300 right now, but he can probably push that cost up. We're making 40 and are at 159/159 with him at present.)

Happy new year everyone! OH has been forced to endure my spam in gchat, but I thought that I might as well write something for the entertainment of possible lurkers. I spent a while today logged in and collected some basic data, I thought that possible topics for a post could be our domestic plans (Golden Ages, tech path), current war situation or macro overview. Personally I always enjoy rankings, regardless how stupid or childish they might be, so in the end I decided to go with that...

And obviously what kind of ranking list would it be if it would not be divided into tiers.. crazyeye Note that the below list is not my forecast on how the game will actually play out. It's more like a snapshot of the situation or how this game would end if it would be played as Always Peace Space Race to the end - with a twist of geopolitical position impacting the ranks..

Below is the current top 10 based on in-game score. Score, as always, does not really represent players position correctly, so I counted the number of cities for the most relevant competitors (pretty quickly so numbers might be a bit wrong). City count does not give the right idea either, but at least you have two data points in addition to my BS.

[Image: ScoreT177.PNG?dl=0]

Tier 1: 50 cities club

1. BGN (51 cities)
BGN has been fighting succesfully + dtay's position has weakened dramatically + we have invested in weakening dtay --> BGN leads the game.
We have pretty much equal amount of land with BGN + Our current tech position is even enough + Our economy is GNP-wise a bit stronger, but MFG-wise a bit weaker + We have FIN for late game, BGN's PHI and CRE aren't too overwhelming --> If this would turn into an always peace game, we would have a fair chance to reach space before BGN.
However, BGN's geopolitical position is clearly superior to ours and he must be considered a favourite to win this. We have dtay to our east, pindi and Dreylin are behind, but have still standing armies to our north and of course BGN himself to our west. BGN has access to a handful of weaker civs (Q, wetbandit, Nakor, others) and thus a realistic chance to keep growing and put him into a winning position.

2. OH + FT (50 cities)
In a turn or two we should finally have our continent just for ourselves and currently our economy is strongest in the game (+1330 gpt is ~200 more than BGN creates). However, our position is fragile and as already said, there are no easy ways to get to 70 cities in the near future. I'm somewhat worried that BGN wants to cripple us with Cossacks or Dreylin razes a coastal city for fun, etc., but of course the big question is still how the current dtay-war will play out now that pindi signed peace (dtay has currently less than 10 units on pindi continent so it's pretty disappointing that pindi just did not push him into the sea). Regardless of what happens, our eastern border will always be at least somewhat uncomfortable, but it remains to be seen how big burden this dtay operation in the end is for us. (Not that I would regret it)

Tier 2
Next 3 civs are in not particular order and already the next couple of turns will show, what will be the direction for krovice and dtay.

3.-5. TBS (37 cities)
I don't know if it's geopolitics, land quality or player skill, but somehow all the strongest civs ended up in the southern part of the world. Before this current conflict top 5 civs in score were all from the south (dtay, BGN, us, Krovice, pindicator). However, now it seems that TBS is the winner of the north and probably the only one from there who can still dream about winning this game if starts align correctly. TBS is behind in tech, no Astro, no Chemisty, no RP, but if for example we end up crippling ourselves and BGN and TBS can still conquer couple of weak neighbors: With high tech costs and RBMod known tech bonus there is still enough time to compete for the win.

3.-5. Dtay (30 cities)
Before the current war dtay had a decent tech lead, but I still claimed that we would have a fair chance of beating him into space thanks to FIN trait + more unused potential of our land if neither of us acquires more land. Possibly seeing the situation similary, dtay attacked and was close to getting the valuable hindu shrine and more land from pindicator, but as you know, now it looks like the invasion wasn't succesful. Currently dtay has the same amount of cities on pindi continent as 20 turns ago, his tech lead compared to BGN and us has evaporated due to upgrades + anarchy turn, we have burned 4 of his cities, krovice has captured one and razed two, Colossus is obsolete, etc. At the moment dtay makes a bit less than 1000 gpt per turn when he saves money --> his economy is clearly not the strongest one anymore. Krovice should be able to cut dtay in half next turn, which makes his geopolitical position even more uncomfortable than it was before this war. Dtay is still a force to reckon and if he gets peace from Krovice and goes to full revenge mode against us it will make our life difficult. However, a lot of good things need to happen before he can really compete for the win again. Probably dtay would need to get peace from us and Krovice and absorb that pindicator continent as he tried before, but from his current position that is even more difficult than at the first time. Apart from dtay's super-annoying Krovice border we now have a dominant navy and if dtay clashes with pindi we either punish his western holdings or compete for pindi's land ourselves (assuming BGN does not screw us simultaneously).

3.-5. Krovice (28 cities)
I still don't get how Krovice managed to get so many cities peacefully in the land grabbing phase, but anyways their economy/teching has been compensating for that since the early days. Krovice has an army, which they need to convert into more land as they are behind in tech and their current city production/GNP power isn't enough for the late game. However even if they are succesful in that (let's say dtay screws up badly) I'm not sure if that is still enough if nothing bad happens to BGN or us.

Tier 3 - 25 city lot
Following 3 civs have actually a lot in common. All of them started in north/middle, have a semi-competing amount of land/cities, but are a decent bit behind in tech. These guys can maybe still dream of a win, but they require both great successes in their own play and the top 5 civs to cripple themselves. (we are doing our best to accommodate that..) lol

6. GermanJoey (26 cities)
GJ started in north and I only have limited info on him. I remember bitching about scooter's hut luck in the early game and forecasted success, but I might be mixing things up.. Anyways, techwise Joey lacks Chemistry and Music+Mil.Trad, but has Astronomy. As said above, he is not thaaat much behind, if he can eat someone with little effort and grow to the next level.

7. Plako (23 cities)
Plako is finally awake and he has topped the 20 city limit and xenu is down to 1 city. However, plako does not have Printing Press, Chemisty and Astro yet so there is probably too much climbing to do.

8. WilliamLP (23 cities)
I don't know WilliamLP's story in this game, but my bet is that it goes something like that: An OK start economically and now he has finally managed to convert it into city captures. Probably all solid, but in a 33-player game solid just isn't quite enough for top spots. William lacks the same techs as plako and also Education+Economics (Free Market).

Tier 4: Rest
From Top 10 players based on in-game score I'm still missing Gavagai and pindicator. I can't remember Gavagai's tech position anymore, but his 17 cities are just too little for keeping up in the late game when techs get more and more expensive. Pindi has gotten his shrine city back, but he is down to just 14 cities. I assume his story will involve teching to Rifling and then turtling and fighting until the bitter end. I doubt there is much more in this game for him, but that's ok as pindicator's succesful defense and counterattack against dtay is already heroic enough for one game. Behind these two there are still couple of civs with >=15 cities (AT, Molach, Ruff), but from position 11-13 it is just a so long way to win that even my wild imagination can't really see that happening. Overall there are still 24 civs alive and only 9 are dead, which is much less than I was imaging. There are couple civs that should only have a small amount of turns left in this game though.

Random comments for OH:
- I love the no. 1 rank in food and land area mischief BGN has more pop points than us though cry
- thumbsup for the whip cascade. Lurkers, I often play "captain obvious" and remind OH about minor micro stuff that he most certainly has handled. However, whip overflow trickery is something that I never need to double-check as OH lives for that stuff crazyeye
- I noticed that we were about to finish a musketman next turn in one of our cities. Even if we still postpone rifling, maybe we just leave it in queue so that it auto-upgrades later to a Rifleman? (+ organize our builds later in other cities so too that we are efficient with cuir->cavalry and musket->rifle upgrades)
- After this turn we have enough money for 6 turns of full research. With oxford coming in we will be making roughly 2700 base beakers per turn with max reseach. If we go the economic route first, we should get Constitution EOT179, Democracy EOT181/182 and Corporation EOT183. Assuming we start our Golden Age RP + Rifling won't take too long either, partly thanks to known-tech bonus, so in ~11 turns we should have the aforementioned 5 techs. Is this somewhat aligned with your timings?
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3