I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

Turn 194
(February 7th, 2015, 13:30)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Those must be some hardy settlers to be settling a home in the Antarctic in ~ the 19th century real-world time.

Are we the global tech leaders?

There are some important crabs to catch down there!

The only techs people have over us are Drama (10 civs), Divine Right (Pindicator), Lib (dtay and BGN), Sci Meth (dtay and BGN), Communism (BGN) and Steel (BGN and Krovice). We have Mil Sci, Steam Power, Democracy and next turn Assembly line over BGN and more over everyone else. Which would you rather have? Given that we won't be researching Lib or Communism we're effectively only down Sci Meth and Steel. Perhaps BGN won't go for Democracy, so he's only down Mil Sci, Steam and AL.

With a little bit of tinkering we're fairly sure all but one Galleon will reach the staging post by turn 199. That one can attack Avon Grove for us instead of joining the main attack on Crow's Bridge. BGN got the "Scandal has thrown the NPS admin into chaos" event - what does that do? It looks like Pindicator missed his last turn - he didn't have a tech selected, what happens to the beakers?

The Statue of Liberty seems to have boosted our GNP by about 400 twirl. Zucchini (+4 health) will finish the Infantry before building a Factory (-3 health -2 more with oil which can be cancelled out with public transportation), then Coal Plant (-2 health), then Aquaduct (+2 health), then Ironworks (-2 health). Is it worth growing again? With all that we'll have -1 health, so I think we might as well stay at size 15.

We'll have a bunch of Infantry completing in the next few turns, some to join the attack, others to discourage anything from BGN/dtay. Dtay is completing Physics in two turns so he could scout us with an airship on t198 or 199 (depending where the ship gets built). Pleasingly that doesn't give him much warning that we're hitting Pindicator, so we don't expect him to try to pile on...

Demos and power

I think this was BGN's event. Unfortunately it's pretty good..

Event141
Crisis in the Senate
Prereq: Representation civic AND NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 55/100
Result:
1.gain +2 Espionage points for all barracks
2.gain 400 to 600 gold
3.+1 happy face in all cities

No idea what he took (yet), EP points would be pretty annoying, +1 happy will certainly be useful and limits the efficiency of our speculated plan to steal all those "hit XX" wonders. The gold prize is probably the weakest and definitely the most boring one, but certainly still helpful.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Who's driving the boats?

Our attack is going to be 3-pronged. The smallest prong is hitting Avon Grove (1), the biggest uses Crow's Bridge (2) to access Pindi's interior (3, 4, 5, stack), the remaining prong hits Strand (6) first then captures Avernus (7) before dropping units by Muirtheane (8). We'll need to bombard Avon Grove (1) and Avernus (7) to get the best odds and if we have spare Frigates we could bombard Strand (6), but it's not as important.

Let's start with the Shrine attack (partly for culture reasons):

If we win every fight we'll leave 8 Infantry 1S of the shrine. Is that enough to take the city and to defend it from interference from dtay?

Next: Avon Grove, one Galleon should do the trick here:

This isn't a slam dunk - we may not make the capture, but that doesn't matter so much in the bigger picture, it just makes good use of this Galleon.

Finally the Stack attack:

A Commando clears away the culture from the Capital, then Tallow, then Gate of Storms, in that order because third ring culture removal is bugged (I need to sim this because I'm not sure if my assumptions are totally correct.)
Fake Edit: I seem to be wrong - running a sim it seems like the order doesn't matter.

Once the culture is cleared our workers lay one railroad track that allows our 1-movers to hit his stack. I just ran a sim of that attack and won every battle at 90-96-99%, so I don't think bringing collateral is needed.

Following the attack we'll have a lot of Cuirs able to hit Otter Ferry on turn 202, hopefully the three Commando Cav able to strike deeper into Pindicator's culture again followed by Cavalry to cover them, then a bunch of Infantry can be railroaded to cover the cities we've captured. Perhaps more than two workers will be needed to allow us to reinforce more effectively.

If Pindi doesn't split or move his stack or switch to Slavery or Nationalism in the next seven turns then I'm confident we'll be able to take all but two of his cities within about five turns (famous last words bang).

Defensive note

At the start of every turn I've been checking for boats in dtay's cities - if we see anything even vaguely threatening we'll re-declare on him and try to destroy or blockade them.

From here on out I think we also need to check if BGN has Military Science or is currently researching it. He has some very highly-promoted Cossacks that could cause us a lot of trouble if they took Commando and hit Zucchini or Endive. Our coastal cities over there are nice but less important to lose to a first strike and we'll be putting Infantry in them soon to make it expensive to kill multiple coastal cities. Taking one coastal city and burning a bunch of inland ones will be painful though.

BGN has three or four Galleons near our coast that are a little worrying, but we've been sailing around his coast with impunity so I don't think we can complain about that.

(February 10th, 2015, 07:14)Old Harry Wrote: From here on out I think we also need to check if BGN has Military Science or is currently researching it.

Yeah, this should work. If we play 2nd we can see him researching Mil Sci. If we play 1st we can check whether he has the tech. Luckily BGN does not have an AGG trait so mass commando's should not be an issue rolleye

About the bow attack planning:
- Already commented in chat about using infantry instead of cuirs for Avon Grove (although using amphi promos for amphi attack kind of makes sense..)
- I would put one of our earlier galleons in a position where we can decide on T199 which staging tile we put it on. That way we stay more flexible and can later decide whether we need 5 or 6 galleons for Strand + Avernus
- Bombardment of Avon Grave works nicely from the fog, but with Avernus we need to be a bit more creative. tongue
- This already goes to details, but maybe we want to RR the tile NW of Crow instead of just N?
- Those 8 infantry don't have to take and defend the shrine alone. All the 2-movers that participate in killing pindi's stack can also move in for defense

Overall I'm liking our attacking composition and order quite a lot nod At this point it will be highly annoying if pindi does something that destroys this plan bang
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 195

Paranoia dept: Checked. dtay's boats are well out of range of our land.

And BGN hasn't got Mil Sci yet. Although it looks like he one-turned Democracy last turn eek.

Having visibility on a lot of his cities now we can see that his boats are only threatening Herbs, Iceberg, Xylophone and Asparagus. There are three boats in range of Xylophone, so I moved a Cuir and two catapults in there to make it six warm bodies. Then I blocked the route to Zucchini, which also has two units in. Paranoia FTW!

Down south our visibility makes me feel pretty secure so we could shuffle a rifle or two north, just in case. I also want to put our Frigate stack on the highlighted tile to act as a first line of defence for Leaves.

Krovice took Ruff's capital, Boston this turn...

Zucchini could build a factory and coal plant, then take a shot at the Pentagon, building the infrastructure first will actually cut two turns off the build time... Its six turns before TBS and GermanJoey get Assembly line, but the Pentagon is an 18 turn build, so I wonder if they'll rush it.

We drafted Izzy, Nina, Snowdrop, Twinkle and Poppet. I have a feeling that Twinkle won't be able to draft a third time on t197 - Nina or Quentin could step in.

Finally Pindicator is 3 turns from Democracy, and since he's going for that ahead of Corporation I assume he plans to revolt to US during a very imminent golden age. We discovered seven Cuirs in Madrigal which will make us somewhat more cautious with our commandos.

Demos and power

(February 10th, 2015, 20:04)Old Harry Wrote: Zucchini could build a factory and coal plant, then take a shot at the Pentagon, building the infrastructure first will actually cut two turns off the build time... Its six turns before TBS and GermanJoey get Assembly line, but the Pentagon is an 18 turn build, so I wonder if they'll rush it.

Hmm.. Is there another candidate city for Pentagon build? I think Zucchini wants to go factory+PP+IW in any case. Xigua, Alfie, Leaves?
Pentagon is certainly strong, but it's damn expensive too. And as barracks+theocracy gives us 2-promo units in most cities anyways, we could consider skipping the wonder altogether. Of course building it might have a significant denial value too. Hmmm... mischief
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I'd be happy for TBS or GermanJoey to burn an Engineer to rush the Pentagon. We'll get plenty of advance warning about anyone else trying. Adding the Aqueduct and Ironworks only adds four turns to the build, so lets decide if we want it once we finish the Ironworks. We might have a juicier target by then.

With Ironworks
52 hpt *1.25 = 65 hpt into the Factory (250 hammers) = 3.84 turns
52 hpt *1.5 = 78 hpt into Coal Plant (150 hammers) = 1.92 turns
52 hpt *2 = 104 hpt into Aqueduct (100 hammers) = 0.96 turns
52 hpt *2 = 104 hpt into Ironworks (700 hammers) = 6.73 turns
52 hpt *3 = 156 hpt into Pentagon (1250 hammers) = 8.01 turns
Total = 21.46 = 22 turns

Without Ironworks
52 hpt *1.25 = 65 hpt into the Factory (250 hammers) = 3.84 turns
52 hpt *1.5 = 78 hpt into Coal Plant (150 hammers) = 1.92 turns
52 hpt *2 = 104 hpt into Pentagon (1250 hammers) = 12.02 turns
Total = 17.77 = 18 turns

The other cities that could build it are Xigua, Watercress, Carrot, Endive or Leaves, all of which I'd like to get Factories and Power Plants in first. X and L are fully grown, C and E are about ten turns from being fully productive and W is a hybrid so probably wants commerce multipliers rather than wonders.

BTW - I was wondering about putting Jails in our bigger cities before attacking Pindicator, but actually we've got a pretty good happy cap in most of them, so it's only the places we're drafting heavily that are likely to suffer. And most of them don't have the hammers to build a quick Jail duh. City list from t192:

Xigua probably wants to go factory+pp+grocer first, but I wonder if Endive could try levee+factory+PP and then Pentagon? smoke I don't know, somehow due to it's high cost Pentagon still feels more like a nice-to-have-might-as-well-try wonder than something that we want to sacrifice a lot for. I'm more interested e.g. in remaining happiness wonders, Internet and 3 Gorges so if you feel pentagonish I probably could use some convincing. crazyeye

Reg Twinkle: Butterscotch is an option, but if Nina can still complete the normally built infra in time that's better. I like Quentin's production actually quite a lot and would like it to head towards Factory+PP with more tiles to use (2 drafts would be a burden, there isn't that much food before biology)

Btw, let's solve our food problems and draft Jelly Bean already on T199 too
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 196

Hey, dtay seems to be having some fun here smile, he should have research visibilty on TBS, so perhaps this is some kind of suicide attempt? The event log doesn't have room for everything that happened this turn - Great Artists born to TBS and BGN, Xenu took a city off HAK, so now he's up to two crazyeye, we got a forest growth that Vegies or Red Cabbage can put a lumbermill on and William lost a city to Gavagai. BGN is heading to Assembly Line now, without a Military Science detour, but with 3 lots of known-tech-bonus, I've seen at least four C4 cossacks in his land, so commandos are a real risk. Also Yuris died alright.

Pindicator is near to Astronomy - he'll be able to build Galleons for three turns before we attack, so will he?

We've nearly got visibility on all of BGN's cities, which means I can delete a load of signs and get a nice picture for once. These are the former Dhalphir and Nakor islands.

And this is the mainland, where Caledorn and Q used to live cry.

The unit shuffling proceeds as planned, but the drafting doesn't show up on the graphs yet. I think we'll overtake BGN's power in about four turns.