Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

(April 4th, 2015, 19:40)flugauto Wrote:
(April 4th, 2015, 16:14)Old Harry Wrote: Again on laptop so no pics, but I've got a question about trade routes - on the north continent our cities have internal routes, but instead of linking to Gertie (size 22) and Alfie (size 21) they link to Carrot (size 18) and a bunch of other smaller cities which give us less cash.

Are you sure they give less cash?

Here's Jelly, the new name for the Shrine city. IIUC linking to Alfie would give a base profit of 2.20 commerce. I actually can't find a single internal trade route that links to Alfie. Iiam

Also shown - we'll get a bank for +70 gpt in two turns and the "can be removed now?" sign is the road that allows dtay to hit Lettuce (which only has 5 Infantry in) however dtay moved his cav stack a tile too far away and doesn't have railroad, so he can't hit Lettuce and after next turn the way will be blocked with our culture anyway so there is no need.

Offered Hit Musicals to BGN for 15 gpt and to dtay, Krill, William for free as they're all spending cash right now and we just want to be friends.

We're dancing around TBS's Frigates this turn, if he doesn't move the highlighted boats back and upgrade them this turn then our Destroyers can kill three of them. Our selected boats will probably fall back next turn, but you never know if there will be an opportunity to break through TBS' defences.

Demos and power

(April 5th, 2015, 17:38)Old Harry Wrote: I actually can't find a single internal trade route that links to Alfie. Iiam

Alfie. 3 commerce trade route. scared

Turn 221

Flight will be in next turn (with at least 100 beakers to spare - screw you inflation!) so seven Airships are going to queue-upgrade to Fighters eot. We'll start some airports next turn in the bigger commerce cities and in landlocked production cities. BGN gets Artillery next turn so he's only down Biology and, next turn, Flight while we're down Liberalism and Communism. To celebrate the fact that they have Artillery and we have two sources of oil we've generously donated one to Krovice mischief. They have enough cash to upgrade 15 Frigates to Destroyers next turn. I hope that BGN doesn't get too pissed at us...

Next turn is the last of our GA. It looks like Nationhood will make us more cash than Bureaucracy and give us flexibility if attacked. We're not going to have Liberalism for Free Religion so our religious civic is going to have to be Theocracy. We'll stick with Representation (SoL makes it too good), Caste (ditto) and Free Market (even with the trade route system dicking around this is still our best bet). Speaking of dicking around this is the rollover for that trade route flugauto (who is clearly paying more attention to the game than me eek) spotted.

And this is a couple of routes from Carrot to two neighboring cities on the north continent. Anyone able to tell me what's going on here? Does being coastal have an effect? Does Sid just hate me?

As expected TBS blew some cash on upgrading five Destroyers. We have seven in production (about six cities are 2-turning Destroyers for the foreseeable future, although we might interrupt with a few Carrier builds) and three more Dry-docks are almost done, so I'm confident we'll out-produce him over the next ten to fifteen turns smoke. Meanwhile these Airships are attempting to entice a Galleon out of Lashing for our Destroyers to pounce.

All the graphs except score? Yes please!
GNP (Flight lacks the 20% pre-req bonus)

Crop yield

MFG - note BGN isn't in a GA and we are... eek

Power - not as bad as feared

Espionage eek

Demos

The base profit is based on either the population number of the trade route city or the distance to the trade route city, whichever is less. Nectarine is closer to Carrot than Mustard, so its base profit is less than Mustard's.

Ah, thanks flug. That makes a lot more sense now. Unfortunately our mega-cities are right in the middle of the empire, so they're distance-hobbled. I guess we just need to capture some cities from further away twirl. Or perhaps grow some of our iceball cities in the south much bigger nod.

Some thoughts on current threats:

dtay
- Is heading for Artillery on t225
- BGN may give him Oil - if we have Industrialism for Battleships that may discourage him from building any Destroyers near us
- Keeping ~50 units in the Shrine is a massive pain, but I'm not sure how else to keep the status quo up there
- He doesn't have Railroad, so we don't need to worry about a stack of 1-movers suddenly appearing from boats
- Once the bank is done in Jelly I'll switch back to culture - I'd guess 10 turns of serious pressure might get us the first ring of tiles...

TBS
- Seems to be teching at a similar rate to us (using known tech bonus) but is several techs behind
- He isn't too far from Flight (I'll guess he'll get there t227)
- When is he going to turn tech off and run the culture slider?
- As things stand we're just going to have to try and out-produce him on Destroyers and Fighters until we can control the water, bombard city defences, knock 20% off the top defenders and farm/fork his coastal cities
- It may be that we don't get to the point where we can kill a culture city until we have Battleships, Tanks and Bombers, but time is on our side, unless BGN wants to throw everything at us while we're busy (I'm a bit ashamed of a stale-mated, attritional, standoff-ish war, but we've done alright for lightning-strike wars this game so lurkers will let us have one, right?)

BGN
- Still seems preoccupied with Krovice
- What will he make of our Oil gift?
- We've got 5-6 decent units in most coastal cities near him, so the small amount of Galleons we can see don't pose a threat right now
- Later on having air-defences in place will make me feel safer (I believe a Fighter can cover cities within a certain radius - anyone know how big? Is it the same as the normal movement radius?)
- We'll get a couple of turns of warning if he's bringing his fleet towards us thanks to Airship visibility
- He's got at least 2 potentially-Commando Cossacks and 5 potentially-Commando Infantry now and is adding another Inf every turn (I think) but still doesn't have Military Science. Its a 1-turn tech for him and I'm really surprised he hasn't found a use for it in his fight with Krovice, but it makes sense to keep them back to use against us in the end-game
- Once we can start sandbagging techs (ie when we have the power to hit TBS and have the first-to bonuses of Radio built) we could establish a decent research lead, but for now he's neck-and-neck with us
- His workshop-heavy economy can be bent towards research if needed, but right now he's keeping up just fine and so can concentrate on building Infantry and - after next turn - Destroyers yikes.

Tech path
After Flight it seems like Radio is an obvious move for Bombers and for Eiffel Tower, then we could sandbag Industrialism and Rocketry while saving some cash. The next splurge should be Plastics (3 Gorges isn't so useful any more, but we've got a few cities that haven't built a Coal Plant yet, or it may help on the northern continent) --> Computers for the Internet. After that we need to figure out the best order for spaceship parts shhh. I'm going to stick to my t260 prediction for the launch of our spaceship, even if Fintourist has numbers and thought to back his t267 theory crazyeye.

Thanks for the nice recap.

(April 7th, 2015, 06:48)Old Harry Wrote: After that we need to figure out the best order for spaceship parts shhh.

Superconductors first! Probably even before Rocketry.. :P

Quote: I'm going to stick to my t260 prediction for the launch of our spaceship, even if Fintourist has numbers and thought to back his t267 theory crazyeye.

Yeah, T267 is on the conservative side. Especially if we cheat and build wealth..
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 222

Should we be worried? There are two more Galleons by Voyageurs... These are 3-4 turns from hitting our mainland.

Revolting to Nationhood and Theocracy saves us about 70 gpt and increases Espionage by about 45 EPs. I'm going to be sad to be out of the Golden age again next turn frown.

Before

After

An overview of aerial control of the TBS theater. We'll probably put Fighters on Carriers, so Airships and Bombers are likely to be based in dtay's cities. We've already put four Infantry into the black city to cover the Airships and Fighter that are there. TBS has Galleons in range to hit all the coloured cities so we'll need to shuffle more units into place to keep protecting our aircraft if we want to use other cities.

We'll put our fleet 1S of Lashing and then probably hit Kharbaroth from Blue and Yellow.

Right now on our boats we have 12 Amphi Inf, 1 Amphi Cavalry, 9 Commando Cav, 3 Near-Commando Cav, 2 Workers, 2 Amphi Grens (I think they need to upgrade) and 3 Amphi Cuirs (ditto). We'd need to upgrade some more Galleons if we want to load more hitters as we need 5-movers to fork all three cities. But then we don't have any other Amphi units, so we just need to do the job with this lot... Adding our supermedic would be useful.

Some current builds - we have three Artillery near the BGN coast and I think most of these will head over there to reinforce.

Demos and power - BGN and Krovice have really been going for it. This makes me think we may need to worry less about those Galleons. Unless he's done them enough damage that he can look towards us instead...

I love that airship picture.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

How did you do those purty range outlines? Paint copy/paste? bow

You're a wizard, OH.