Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] PB20 Lurker Thread of Perfect Hindsight

Finally reading through these threads. I was so busy when the game stopped, and then it's been kind of intimidating since then, but now seemed like a fine time.

I really appreciated the various MJW non sequiturs in this thread as well as a lot of the other humor. Nice to have those sprinkled in between all the typical lurker... stuff. wink

Krill, I am pretty sure you used an outdated version of the Torusland map script. When you were like "haha, this map script gave someone double pasture resources, I will leave them as double AH resources to show the folly of requiring AH for pastures", there was another option which was to use a map script (the current version of Torusland, which also has some other nice tweaks) that makes sure everyone has a first-row-tech food resource. I know you think that AH resources being unlocked with a first-row tech is the way to go, and I certainly agree it's a good method. If I were designing a game from scratch, there is a good chance I would put an AH-like tech in a first-row-like position. In this case, the mod doesn't change it because I think it works fine as originally designed and there is also some interestingness in having SOME food resources unlocked by a slightly less convenient tech. I can also see the argument though that with tech cost scaling, a double AH start is OK. Although I think it's still a handicap, fair enough I guess. I liked the map overall, although I think it would have been better with one more copper source. The water was sweet, as you said.

(December 2nd, 2014, 16:57)Ceiliazul Wrote: Not sure about that, 1500g doesnt strike me as the "accepted value" of a gp, but 1500 is more research power than an artist would provide. Often artists are even unwanted, and selling one for 1500 would be sweet! But in this case I dont think the guy is for sale: theres a plan for him.

At this stage of the game, if I remember right, I calculated that Haram's best case scenario for a merchant trade mission was 1300 gold, while mine was some value above 1500 (I don't remember what - it fluctuated up and down significantly for me). I was offering him a better trade for him than merchant for artist, which is a trade you generally want to take unless you specifically need the artist; I think an artist is worth significantly less than a merchant.

However, the main reason for offering 1500g is that it is very similar to the amount of gold/beakers you tend to get from a great person. Scientists give 1500b + a pop-based bonus, but of course those beakers don't come with known tech and prereq multipliers. Other GPs give significantly less than 1500g worth of beakers, but they do give pretty close to 1500b into a tech (they do so exactly if you have 250 pop). And I would say that merchant trade missions tend to range from 1100g to 1900g in that stage of the game. So when I am thinking about the marginal value of a GP, the number 1500 shows up a lot and is a good estimate for how much it's worth. My goal proposing that trade in particular was to establish the parameters of the exchange first and then negotiate if necessary.