Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Seven Russias Into the Periclous Fray

(December 14th, 2014, 01:09)NobleHelium Wrote: I do think Global Warming should be modded out of the game, yes. Or at least make it an option to disable.

Yes x 1000. I don't think it adds any interesting choices, you just get an annoying random event that can't really be prevented. Not fun, should be eliminated.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Going for Radio to build Cristo since SoL isn't happening. Then flight and then we can bomb people. Hopefully someone blows up the defensive pact web before then so I don't have to. If it do it, it's just war between me and others which doesn't nuke anyone's trade routes. But if for example Mackoti declares on Grimace he will lose trade routes with wetbandit, IIRC. My own defensive pacts are only relevant if someone declares on me. If mackoti declares on me he will lose routes with Gawdzak, Wetbandit and Grimace. But no one cares if I am defensive-pacted into a war with them because I am in mercantilism. I do not have a defensive pact with haram because then mackoti could declare war on him to cancel all my other pacts and become at war with me.

I am getting out some more GPs, coming every few turns here despite the insanely high prices (currently 2400). Unfortunately the first one I pushed out was a scientist instead of a merchant or (best) an engineer. It's especially unfortunate because the scientist odds were actually low on this one, while the next GP (from my capital) is more likely than not a scientist. However the third and fourth are very likely to be merchants and two out of the next three have a chance of engineer, still.

For golden age civics, I switched to organized religion but stayed in rep/nat/caste/merc because they are just the best. Bureaucracy is a bit worse than nat now commerce-wise, and the extra capital hammers (not even good since my capital doesn't have important builds) are worse than the happiness, espionage, and security of drafting. In a turn or two I will switch back to theocracy and finish all the unit builds that have been stacking up (mostly transports and destroyers and cossacks).

How many cities do you have dedicated to GPP production?

Well there's the national epic city and then there are a bunch of cities that have wonders and/or run specs due to running out of land tiles or happiness. I'll see if I can get some shots of all of those that ran enough specs to produce a GP.

Gawdzak declared war on wetbandit, triggering the defensive pacts of me and Grimace. He then made peace with both of us. However, several of my airships were teleported out of gawdzak's borders. Before I could move them, mackoti declared war on me and killed some of them. Now I am once again stuck in the second half of the turn, sigh.

I am planning to attack wetbandit in a couple turns. Currently doing a lot of unit shuffling and loading up transports and building bombers.

My golden age just ended. Cristo Redentor is due in a turn or two (I didn't check if the golden age ending would delay it). Broadway is under construction, and I may or may not get it. I just teched refrigeration and will found cereal mills next turn. With wall street already built, I figure it's gotta be worth it, plus I want to test it. If Gawdzak hadn't nuked our routes there was an argument to be made for state property with good trade routes plus a merchant mission, but as it is, ignoring those techs and using merc seems better. Even without the war though, my mind was made up. I hope to get an engineer for mining inc to complement it. The hammers are better than the food for me.

Mackoti has factoried up and is now going for industrialization. Gawdzak is going for electricity. He is still top power but Mackoti and I both have very steep power lines.

Best to steer clear of alliances and foreign entanglements. wink

That seems weird--mackoti gets a chance to kill your airships because they get teleported somewhere before you get the chance to move them (or even find out they were moved)? It feels like some part of the "no double moves/don't be a jerk" got violated somewhere--or is it just another reason never to sign a defensive pact in multiplayer? tongue

I think the mechanics of what happens when you close borders (which is what Gawdzak effectively did), namely unit teleportation, are just very wonky. You shouldn't be able to cause units to teleport, but what's the alternative? And I don't think it's a reason never to sign a defensive pact. Causing a war declaration to nuke your open borders is the whole point. It's just too bad Gawdzak didn't warn me he was attacking already.

I've now played three war turns. I don't think I will lose count, because they are ridiculous. They are insane combinatoric logistics puzzles that are taking 2-3 hours each.

So, in the turns leading up to this, I was monitoring wetbandit's units in my borders. Every newly-created unit, and every musterable unit that wetbandit couldn't see, would get shuffled down to replace one stationed in a city, and that would get shuffled to another city, and that would get shuffled onto a transport and stowed far enough out in the water that it was hidden. Some units would move 9 tiles southeast along railroads and then move one tile NW at the end, to make it appear they were traveling the other way. And, I didn't try to do everything perfectly - I expect that it would be hard for someone else to keep track of all my troop locations. The goal was just to provide some reasonable doubt. I don't know how much I succeeded but from his garrisons, it didn't look like the attack was anticipated. The turn before I planned to declare war, I closed borders, because I was having to position two big fleets in vision of land units. I can only assume this was a big red flag, and in fact wetbandit did take the next turn to revolt to slavery, but I'm happy with the level of preparedness I faced.

Here is the first turn of war summarized:

My transports effectively followed the blue lines. I had enough destroyers to bomb down 2 cities fully and one a little bit, so I left the southern city (Aroostook, now Vivid) mostly unbombarded, since it had the fewest defenders. Similarly, I had a limited number of bombers since I only got flight a few turns ago, so Aroostook got airstruck a little bit less. Thus, I lost two riflemen attacking it. Every other combat was a cinch.

Here's the full list. You can also see I captured a few workers of wetbandit. They had been scouting around my territory and looking for forests in his culture to chop for his defense against Gawdzak.

Due to the fairly light defenses I faced on the first turn, I had a ton of units that weren't even used yet. Here is the main group of those units, setting up to take the next couple of cities.

And here's the north, where I'm threatening an island city (but didn't have the destroyers+bombers available to make a move on it yet), and next turn will threaten 1-2 more along the coast.

Brief domestic digression. I finished Cristo Redentor the turn before, and with the capture of Shwedagon Paya I can now swap back and forth between theocracy and free religion every two turns. This gives every draftee the extra XP from theo while still giving me the science bonus every other turn. Past that, the civic switching is currently of limited value, though the flexibility is nice. There's not much point to ever leaving representation, nationhood, or mercantilism, and dipping into slavery will have to be very rare because I rely on both parts of caste system. Also, since I completed refrigeration just before the war, I founded Cereal Mills and will be working on spreading it as soon as Broadway is done.

Back to the war, I forgot to take as many screenshots for the second turn, which may have been the longest I've spent on a civ turn so far. But here you can see my conquests.

After capturing the three cities, my problem is the large stack of cavalry sitting in the middle of his core (and the smaller stack in his capital). Luckily for me, I am Russia and my cossacks are really strong against cavalry, so I just piles a bunch of them into Texlahoma aka Acid Bath (had to start a new alphabet of names). I ferried a couple cavalry over to Xbox and cut the roads, put up a strong-enough defense in Yoyo to make it a poor move to attack there, and also cut the road that would allow them to reach Zigzag and Vivid. So now his only way of accomplishing anything with the cavalry is to make a desperate attack on my cossacks, and spoiler alert, +50% is a huge advantage. Still, this is what I was most afraid of, because I didn't calculate his actual odds and because any fight where the opposing units aren't at half health from bombers is to my relative disadvantage. Funny story there: I did have a spare bomber in range of the 19 cavs and attempted to perform an air strike, but I accidentally bombed instead, destroying a windmill. That's why they're on an unimproved tile on that last picture.

Turn three is played as well, but I haven't yet gathered the images for it.