For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Poll: Tick every rule that you'd be happy with (even if they are contradictory):
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
<24h Pause requested - Let it roll!
1.97%
6 1.97%
<24h Pause requested - Get a lurker to play following instructions
7.87%
24 7.87%
<24h Pause requested - Pause it
10.49%
32 10.49%
>24h Pause requested - No chance, let it roll!
2.95%
9 2.95%
>24h Pause requested - Get a lurker to play following instructions
7.87%
24 7.87%
>24h Pause requested - Pause it
3.61%
11 3.61%
>24h Pause requested - A case-by-case analysis needed.
7.54%
23 7.54%
Pause not requested - Let it roll!
7.87%
24 7.87%
Pause not requested - Pause with 1h left on clock for 6 hours and then resume
4.92%
15 4.92%
Pause not requested - Pause with 1h left on clock for 12 hours and then resume
2.62%
8 2.62%
Pause not requested - Pause with 1h left on clock for 24 hours and then resume
1.64%
5 1.64%
Pause not requested - Pause with 1h left on clock indefinitely
1.31%
4 1.31%
Pause not requested - Pause with 1h left and get a lurker to play turn ASAP
6.23%
19 6.23%
Pause not requested and next turn player still doesn't show up - Pause and look for replacement
8.20%
25 8.20%
Pause not requested and next turn player still doesn't show up - Retire to AI
1.31%
4 1.31%
Pause not requested and next turn player still doesn't show up - Lurkers play until player returns
6.89%
21 6.89%
Reload for missed turn - no chance
2.62%
8 2.62%
Reload for missed turn - only if you requested a pause that didn't happen
7.21%
22 7.21%
Reload for missed turn - case-by-case basis
6.23%
19 6.23%
Reload for missed turn - every time
0.66%
2 0.66%
Total 305 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll for pause behaviour

(April 26th, 2014, 10:35)dtay Wrote:
(April 26th, 2014, 10:05)novice Wrote: Unvote: Pause not requested - Let it roll!

After reading/hearing other people's opinions, I'd like to "Unvote: Pause not requested - Let it roll!" as well.

dito
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(April 26th, 2014, 16:32)Qgqqqqq Wrote:
(April 26th, 2014, 10:35)dtay Wrote:
(April 26th, 2014, 10:05)novice Wrote: Unvote: Pause not requested - Let it roll!

After reading/hearing other people's opinions, I'd like to "Unvote: Pause not requested - Let it roll!" as well.

dito

I'm convinced novice, I'll rescind my vote. I've included AT's change from the tech thread too. It read like Dazed might have meant to change his vote, but he didn't say it, so that leaves us tied on the "what to do when a pause is not requested poll" (unless Q's vote change also includes voting for the "pause and get a lurker to play" option):

Let It Roll: 17 votes
Barry Lyndon, Boldly Going Nowhere, BRickAstley, Cheater Hater, Cyneheard, darrelljs, dazedroyalty, Dhalphir, HitAnyKey, Jowy, Molach, MYKI, Nakor, plako, The Black Sword, wetbandit, yuris125

Pause with 1h left on clock for 6 hours and then resume: 13 votes
AutomatedTeller, Bacchus, dtay, HitAnyKey, MYKI, novice, Old Harry, plako, Qgqqqqq, scooter, spacetyrantxenu, The Black Sword, wetbandit

Pause with 1h left on clock for 12 hours and then resume: 7 votes
MYKI, novice, plako, Qgqqqqq, Ruff_Hi, spacetyrantxenu, The Black Sword

Pause with 1h left on clock for 24 hours and then resume: 4 votes
Hashoosh, Mardoc, Ruff_Hi, The Black Sword

Pause with 1h left on clock indefinitely: 3 votes
Azza, Mardoc, WilliamLP

Pause with 1h left and get a lurker to play turn ASAP: 17 votes
AutomatedTeller, Azza, Bacchus, Boldly Going Nowhere, Cheater Hater, dtay, Hashoosh, HitAnyKey, MYKI, novice, Old Harry, pindicator, plako, Ruff_Hi, spacetyrantxenu, The Black Sword, Whosit

-------------------

So that doesn't help at all rolleye.

Anyone else want to change a vote?

There isn't much overlap between option 1 and 2 here. 17+13 - 4 (who voted for both) means 26 either let it roll or wait 6 hours.

Since "Let the good turns roll" resolution isn't getting passed now, I certainly pick "6 hours pause then let it roll" as a lesser weevil of the remaining options.

This rule will means that second-to-last to play _has_ to pause & post in the tech thread that he did so, so someone can unpause when 6 hours passes.

The "get a lurker to play ASAP" one would be better in theory, if we have a team of lurkers ready and willing to step in, following the tech thread & PB 18 stat site closely enough that they would play before 6-12 hours pass. That would be better, but not sure if this is realistic.

Edit: How about a poll between "6 hour pause" and "lurker to play ASAP"...last option was very popular too, I belatedly see.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

Unvote Let it Roll, vote Pause with 1h left and get a lurker to play turn ASAP: 17 votes.

FWIW, I share dazedroyalty's sentiments in the tech thread.

I am willing to go with Pause for 6 hours then let it roll. That's a decent compromise between draconian and relaxed.

But honestly, voting to get a lurker to play ASAP is a moot point unless we have at least half a dozen lurkers on standby for the entire game ready to play within an hour or two, and also that all players are happy with a lurker playing, which they might not be later in the game!
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

(April 30th, 2014, 08:10)Dhalphir Wrote: I am willing to go with Pause for 6 hours then let it roll. That's a decent compromise between draconian and relaxed.
I know I'm going to regret bringing this up... but isn't that functionally indistinguishable from just lengthening the timer by 6 hours?

(April 30th, 2014, 09:06)T-hawk Wrote:
(April 30th, 2014, 08:10)Dhalphir Wrote: I am willing to go with Pause for 6 hours then let it roll. That's a decent compromise between draconian and relaxed.
I know I'm going to regret bringing this up... but isn't that functionally indistinguishable from just lengthening the timer by 6 hours?

It's functionally identical but (hopefully) psychologically different with the stigma of making yourself a public pain the ass when you delay the turn. The current way means that sometimes turns will roll in 24 hours instead of every turn rolling in close to 30 every single time. (Since out of 33, someone will inevitably wait until the end of the timer to play. It's a law of nature.)

My ideal vision for this game would be one where people value expediting the game for everyone over gaining small advantages, and I'm certainly going to do my best to set this example every turn.

what this dude said.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?