I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Steam Civ4 Update

Ah, good news everyone, I was able to confirm spacetyranxenu's solution. By replacing my steam-installed Civ4BeyondSword.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe) and CvGameCoreDLL.dll (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets) with versions from a cd-installed, 3.19-patched version of Civ4, I was able to connect to my games. I also get the "version does not match the host's" popup but I'm able to continue logging in and play just fine.

Instructions:
1.) Turn off auto-updates for Civ4 on steam.
2.) Close steam.
3.a.) For 64-bit windows 7 users: you can download this file from my mediafire account: http://tinyurl.com/n2bjc96 then rename it to puddinpop.zip, password is puddinpop. This contains Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll.
3.b) For users of other OS/platforms, you should either find someone with a disk-installed version with the same platform as you and get them to send you these files, or else rename your steam-installed civ4 directories (don't forget about the one in My Games!) and then install civ4 + bts from disk + 3.19 patch.
4.) Replace Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll (updated instructions: don't replace the .dll!)
5.) Load the game/mod like you normally would.

You should replace these files by renaming them, so you can simply rename them again if you want to play a game on the new steamworks server.

Alright, good to hear, will try that tomorrow!

(June 6th, 2014, 01:08)WilliamLP Wrote:
(June 5th, 2014, 20:35)Lord Parkin Wrote: For what it's worth, I wrote an email. Doubt it'll achieve anything, but who knows.

Thanks for doing that. It was a well written message and I really hope someone with some sanity reads it.

The odds of a reaction will increase with every email. At the very least, we may get a response. Parkin, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed a substantial part of your email as a template to submit my own complaint.

(June 6th, 2014, 02:04)wetbandit Wrote:
(June 6th, 2014, 01:08)WilliamLP Wrote:
(June 5th, 2014, 20:35)Lord Parkin Wrote: For what it's worth, I wrote an email. Doubt it'll achieve anything, but who knows.

Thanks for doing that. It was a well written message and I really hope someone with some sanity reads it.

The odds of a reaction will increase with every email. At the very least, we may get a response. Parkin, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed a substantial part of your email as a template to submit my own complaint.

Not at all! I agree that the more they hear from the Pitboss community, the better.

Please feel free to borrow in part or entirely from my message if you're writing your own. smile
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(June 6th, 2014, 01:33)GermanJojo Wrote: Ah, good news everyone, I was able to confirm spacetyranxenu's solution. By replacing my steam-installed Civ4BeyondSword.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe) and CvGameCoreDLL.dll (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets) with versions from a cd-installed, 3.19-patched version of Civ4, I was able to connect to my games. I also get the "version does not match the host's" popup but I'm able to continue logging in and play just fine.

Instructions:
1.) Turn off auto-updates for Civ4 on steam.
2.) Close steam.
3.a.) For 64-bit windows 7 users: you can download this file from my mediafire account: http://tinyurl.com/n2bjc96 then rename it to puddinpop.zip, password is puddinpop. This contains Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll.
3.b) For users of other OS/platforms, you should either find someone with a disk-installed version with the same platform as you and get them to send you these files, or else rename your steam-installed civ4 directories (don't forget about the one in My Games!) and then install civ4 + bts from disk + 3.19 patch.
4.) Replace Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll
5.) Load the game/mod like you normally would.

You should replace these files by renaming them, so you can simply rename them again if you want to play a game on the new steamworks server.

Thanks for posting the instructions.

In case anyone has trouble with the zip file, which program did you use to zip it? Whatever you used, 7zip usually works fine for extracting almost any kind of zip file but you never know.

I think I still have a small project ahead to smooth out this update. After so many years with one set of game font I can't handle the change to another type. lol I'm not sure if any other minor cosmetic changes will need to be undone yet, I'll have to go to my online backup service to check for more differences beyond what I saw quickly last night. Thanks to everyone who has helped work around the patch issues. thumbsup

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Perhaps we will all just make an unofficial patch with each other.
The player who loses motivation to play after the opening! crazyeye

I suggest that the instructions are put in the first post of the thread.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Fuck me, this is more hassle than I want to deal with for one stupid game...

(June 6th, 2014, 06:24)Azza Wrote: Fuck me, this is more hassle than I want to deal with for one stupid game...

Instructions: Download two files, copy them to a directory.

Then disable Steam update? smoke