Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

PC, Network, Options & Questions [Help Wanted]

Hi All. I am hoping that (collectively) you can help me. I am stuck regarding where to go with my current PC / Network set up.

Here is the current situation

Desktop PC
  • Case: corsair Obsidian 550D
  • Chip: Intel i5-2500 3.3Mhz
  • Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  • 1GB
  • Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
  • Ram: 16Gb Corsair Vengence
  • Win 7 home Premium
  • Onboard Network (how do I tell if this is Gb ready?) ... pc order says 'Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)'
  • Ceton InfiniTV 6 (TV card)
  • Single Monitor
I have a DIY build computer stand that is just right to hold the 550D. The top of the computer case is flush with the top of my desk.

Other items in the home computer set-up ...
  • Ethernet & wireless Network(s)
  • Cable modem, router, switch, patch panel soon to be up and running
  • 2 x TVs supported by Ceton extenders over Ethernet (working well so far)

My typical PC uses are:
  • Civ4 (yes, a 10yr old game)
  • Editing pictures (gimp)
  • recording TV
  • starting to look at processing the recorded TV to remove ads (depends if I can get WMC to 'see' the new files)
  • coding (VB6, python, html, css, etc)
In short, nothing too strenuous with the possible exception of the recorded TV processing.

Desktop PC requirements
  • quiet(!)
  • cool looking and cool temp
  • not an eye sore (ie no flashing lights, colorful fans, etc)

NAS requirements (assuming I go this route)
  • fast access storage
  • move backup routine to NAS support
  • could move recorded TV processing to NAS system responsibility (so it may need some CPU grunt behind it)
  • this PC will be in the basement so there are no noise or light restrictions (within reason)

The NAS will be used to store and provide access to ...
  • music (played to other PCs / Macs and Sonos sound system)
  • pictures
  • 3.5" WD HDD that holds backups of my desktop PC O/S and user data
  • backup of Mac (if I can convince the wife to do that)
  • Recorded TV
  • DVD Movie collection (currently on DVDs but I am thinking of ripping them to something easier to organize)
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

I have a number of options as I see it (hopefully, you can provide more smile) ...

Option 1
Small profile NAS providing network storage similar to this (blog by Brian Moses regarding possible NAS build - I am expecting an update to 2015 during Jan 2015).

Option 2
Bigger PC in basement providing NAS storage as well as taking some storage tasks off my desktop PC
I currently like the modular options of the Thermaltake Core v41.
The downside here is that this is very similar to the Corsair Obsidian Series 550D that I already have ... so why don't I repurpose that to be the NAS and build a new desktop PC?

Question: Is there any benefit of having two (2) lan slots in your mobo? I have (or will have by the end of this year) the ethernet network to support a PC having duel network access.

Other 1
If I move all of my storage requirements to the NAS, then I can get away with only a SSD in my desktop PC in my study. Maybe a single HDD to accept the recorded TV from the TV card as you can't record to a network device.

Other 2
If I do repurpose my 550D, what do I get as a replacement? Another desktop - any suggestions? What about a laptop?
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

placeholder

It's rather unclear exactly what you're asking? I see a big list of parts and only one actual question.

Two LAN slots is good if you want a machine to have public internet access and a segmented-off internal network too. But that's probably overkill for a home setup and needlessly complicated as compared to a plain old single network behind whatever router.

Also, your "computer" pages are serving lightboxed and pop-under ads. I remember you having trouble with malware before on your host, looks like that's around again.

(December 19th, 2014, 10:34)T-hawk Wrote: It's rather unclear exactly what you're asking? I see a big list of parts and only one actual question.

I guess I am asking for comments regarding pros / cons of retasking my 550D as the NAS. Or are there other options that I am missing?

Quote:Two LAN slots is good if you want a machine to have public internet access and a segmented-off internal network too. But that's probably overkill for a home setup and needlessly complicated as compared to a plain old single network behind whatever router.

Thanks

Quote:Also, your "computer" pages are serving lightboxed and pop-under ads. I remember you having trouble with malware before on your host, looks like that's around again.

I run comparisons that compare the raw html files on my PC to the server version regularly. The raw html files also get rebuilt from underlying text files frequently. I think the pop up adds is because I have a cheapo hosting deal and that is the downside. I will be looking at moving to a more robust hoster in the new year.

That said - I will review the current files on my host tonight for malware.

IMO the right choice would be to set up a slightly modified NAS (giving it a boost on the CPU front, so it can handle the recording). Then you have seperate systems with different responsibilities, and less chance of one thing fighting the other for say CPU.

other than prehaps the video editing (don't know enough about this to comment), it sounds like your desktop could work even while fairly low-end as nothing other than that really need a beast of a computer, (GIMP is the only thing that could bong out, but its quite tolerant), hell your current rig should probably be able to serve at it with very minor modifications.

As of the question whether to get a laptop or not, unless you have the need to move it around, i think it would be better to run with a proper desktop, mainly as its much more custumizable for your needs.

If you're asking whether to repurpose an existing gaming PC as NAS and build a new one, or just build a NAS, I think that you'd hardly notice any difference in the performance of the machines going either way. I'd just do whatever is easier and less effort overall, which is probably building the NAS machine separately so you're not rebuilding the software side of the gaming PC.

Sian, T-Hawk - thanks for your comments

I am thinking about a scorched earth option for my pc (reformat, reinstall). I won't be doing this unless I can find a couple of free days to get it done.