As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Volcanoes and Demons and Shiii (Saruman's Sheaim)

TURN 31

One of Elimist's scouts apears on our borders. We send them cordial greetings:

Greetings, oh wise and estimable Elimist,
On behalf of the honorable Sheaim empire, I bid your scout welcome. May he stumble upon many a hut and avoid hungry lions.
It firm belief that as fellow students of the arcane, we should get along splendidly. Have you met any other rising civilizations in your travels? we look forward to a potential exchange of knowledge of the world.

Unfortunately our Southern bound warrior is about to be devoured by a hungry lion himself as could of been predicted from last turns screen.

TURN 33
Some correspondence from Elimist from last turn:
"Ellimist sends tidings to Saruman the Necromancer!

Yours is the first civilization we've been able to communicate with, but our scout has indeed encountered several tribal villages. One of them provided a map to your territory and also indicated that there is a circus to the north of you, the edge of which is visible three leagues north of the Pool of Tears. Two leagues east of the Pool of Tears, there also appears to be a source of copper.

Have the Sheaim met anyone else yet? What have you seen of the world so far?

Ellimist"

Also, as of now we are at war with Ellimist.
Surprised? no really:

Yeah, we recieved this note before getting turn 33.

"To Saruman the Necromancer,

Our scout has taken refuge within your borders to avoid a hungry griffon just north of your territory. He has no intention of causing any mischief, and we will appreciate if you are willing to grant him safe passage."

I think I will allow it for the reason of not making waves, but boy was i tempted to give my nearest warrior a bit of exercise. Also, I did see the griffin the turn before, so his reason is legit. Still, I count this as a breach of trust given he didn't ask permission, just declared war, moved in and then asked me to let it slide. Obviously we do not want potential enemy scouts taking a looksie at our lands and armies. I will make sure to remind him of this in the future, and press for diplomatic favors.

(May 9th, 2015, 17:35)Saruman the Foolish Wrote: TURN 33
Some correspondence from Elimist from last turn:
Ellimist sends tidings to Saruman the Necromancer!

Yours is the first civilization we've been able to communicate with, but our scout has indeed encountered several tribal villages. One of them provided a map to your territory and also indicated that there is a circus to the north of you, the edge of which is visible three leagues north of the Pool of Tears. Two leagues east of the Pool of Tears, there also appears to be a source of copper.

Have the Sheaim met anyone else yet? What have you seen of the world so far?

Ellimist

Also, as of now we are at war with Ellimist.
Surprised? no really:

Yeah, we recieved this note before getting turn 33.

To Saruman the Necromancer,

Our scout has taken refuge within your borders to avoid a hungry griffon just north of your territory. He has no intention of causing any mischief, and we will appreciate if you are willing to grant him safe passage.

I think I will allow it for the reason of not making waves, but boy was i tempted to give my nearest warrior a bit of exercise. Also, I did see the griffin the turn before, so his reason is legit. Still, I count this as a breach of trust given he didn't ask permission, just declared war, moved in and then asked me to let it slide. Obviously we do not want potential enemy scouts taking a looksie at our lands and armies. I will make sure to remind him of this in the future, and press for diplomatic favors.

Correspondence sent to Ellimist:
To Ellimist of the Amurites:

My scouts did report seeing the griffon you speak of, and for this reason, we have decided to allow your scout to stay on our borders. Count yourself lucky however, that I did not listen to the more bloodthirsty citizens and very eager warriors who made their animosity clear. For security purposes I must let you know that should the scout move to any other part of our lands it will be seen as a true declaration of war. Given that permission was not sought beforehand, we expect future reciprocal diplomatic favors. Hopefully, this incident will bring our empires closer to an open borders agreement than war.

Saruman the Necromancer

What odds did you even have? River and forest are pretty brutal.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 9th, 2015, 18:22)Qgqqqqq Wrote: What odds did you even have? River and forest are pretty brutal.

Very true, I think it was like 25%, and with 2 stars on the scout even if I went around the river it probably would only bump up to like 35%. I was thinking more that I have 2 more warriors nearby and losing a warrior for a scout far from home actually isn't that bad a trade. But I don't want to start a feud this early in the game anyway so point is moot.

And as of 6 minutes ago, we have a reply:

Indeed, we were unsure if our brave scout would survive your hospitality, and have no intention of abusing it. He has already moved northeast out of your territory, and a peace treaty has been offered. If you would prefer a cease-fire as well, feel free to reject the treaty and send a counter-offer. I'm not sure what the current position of the griffon is, but hopefully our scout will survive to meet the Balseraphs(north of you, around the lake) and maybe other civilizations as well.

To be perfectly frank, there were two reasons I chose the course of action that I did last turn. The first was the obvious, it was the only safe option for the scout to remain safe from the griffon without moving back westward. The second reason was because you hadn't responded to my first message, or reciprocated any of the information that I offered to you. (Specifically, the location of the Balseraph borders, the source of copper(that you may be presently unable to to see), and the fact that I hadn't met any other civs yet.) I was sincere when I said I wanted to work together, and am interested in cooperation and exchanging additional information. I understand that it was only a delay of a single turn, but the griffon's location provided enough incentive on its own.

Either way, I apologize if the Amurite nation has offended you and will continue to update you when we meet anyone new.

Ellimist

It is curious as though Ellimists actions have been by far more belligerent than Kragroths, he has been much more forthright and open with his knowledge. As I have still not heard back from Kragroth, I have taken the plunge at the opportunity for friendship. With Krags so close, I need an ally, though I suppose Northstar being closer might be better. Or maybe not, as my territorial interests are less likely to clash with the presumably further away Ellimist. Here was my response:

To Ellimist of the Amurites

Your reasoning is acceptable, and we will sign for peace at the next opportunity. We do indeed appreciate the token map information though it was nothing new to us. We have been aware of the starting location of the Carnies for some time, though we have avoided contact. As both our civilizations have like interests, and tend to take some time to reach our full potential, I believe it is in our interests to become allies against our more militant neighbors. Though it has not been long since our meeting, I would like to know you're thoughts on developing a more codified agreement to further the friendship between our fledgling empires.

We are curious as to how far to the West from our borders your capitol lies. With the goal of shared knowledge in mind you should know that besides the griffin there is also a hill giant to the southwest of your scout. To your North, above Odios prison are the Baselraphs as you have found. From there to the East is a small body of water that may feed into Ocean above or may be a lake. On the other (Eastern) side of said lake 2 leagues South of Odios Prison lies the Standing Stones on the banks of a river. This river runs up into the lands of Warlord Kragroth of the Clan. We have had friendly contact with Kragroth, and he is likely to be reasonable. Be warned, though that his military is nearly twice the strength of my own (which is the 2nd largest in the world).

We look forward to further developing our relationship. Perhaps a sharing of maps in the near future would be beneficial?

Regards, Saruman

TURN 35

Our capital city of FrankerZ is located 20W1N of Jörmungandr. FrankerZ is on a narrow isthmus between the ocean(SW) and a large saltwater lake(NE) and appears to be on the western coast of this continent. To the west of the city, there's a narrow land bridge that leads north into an arid area north of the lake. 3E2S of FrankerZ is our newly founded city of PJSalt, and 7E of FrankerZ is the Dragon Bones unique feature on the edge of a large jungle. Other than Odio's Prison and Pool of Tears, Dragon Bones is the only Unique Feature I've located. The map in general seems to be loaded with resources, though they do seem to be clustered rather than spread evenly. Also, this turn I located two more sources of copper, one is 2E2N of Jörmungandr and another is 1W6N of Jörmungandr(I'm not sure if you have mining yet to see it.)

I'm definitely interested in working with you. What do you have in mind as far as agreements? Mana trades seem especially beneficial for nations such as ours. If you're interested, here's my opinion(FFH39 spoilers: http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthrea...#pid528483 ) on various different types of diplomatic arrangements.

Some good info from Ellimist. Not entirely sure what I should ask for as far as trades go. The copper info is terrific actually but I won't tell him that.[/color]

TURN 38
Our settler will be done in 2 turns. Currently we are last in score cry .

Looking at the longer plateaus on the graph it would appear that Ellimist settled his second city the same turn I started on a second settler, so we are seriously behind him. Of course, we have Kragroth for a neighbor so we were building warriors. I wouldn't do things too differently but it stinks that we lost one scouting. Kragroth has smaller plateaus so I am not too sure if he could have built a settler in those intervals with warrens. I believe not as he needs masonry for that as I recall, but we cannot be too sure. Certainly his military might is scary, he just had another minor jump this turn. I need to be very wary of aggression on his part. I may have delayed mining/bronze working too long. Fortunately, we do have copper nearby courtesy of info via Ellimist.

Which brings me to point #2.
Where should I plop our second city?

My original intention was on the hilltop for the defensive bonus. It is also closer to Krags. However, knowing that there is bronze on the starred hilltop (thanks Eli) is huge. If I settle 1 left of the hill as pictured I could snag that production bonus in my city radius. hmmm. Any suggestions taotao or others?

Can't really give suggestions. Curious what techs you have, though.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 19th, 2015, 18:31)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Can't really give suggestions. Curious what techs you have, though.

Currently 5 turns to Mysticism. Have agriculture, exploration, calendar, crafting, and started with ancient chants.