For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Tech availability

kyrub et al.,
How does the MOO code generate researchable techs for each race? What is the exact algorithm? And probability?
How does it choose techs found on artifacts planets? On Orion?
Is there any additional constraint on tech availability in a game?
Also, what does the OSG say about these?
Thanks,

(March 2nd, 2015, 08:52)WhiteMage Wrote: kyrub et al.,
How does the MOO code generate researchable techs for each race? What is the exact algorithm? And probability?
Tech generation:
The algorithm for every 5-techs tier:
a) the techs are taken always from the top of the tier (starting with the highest level and going down)
b) Psilons are adjudged the ratio of 75%, every other race 50%
c) special exceptions for Silicoids are run (part of planetology techtree and the reduced waste tree is always skipped)
d) for every tech, the ratio from b) is compared to d1..100. If lower or equal to the result, the tech is admitted
e) except for the case if the total number of already admitted techs in this tier reached 3 (this may happen in weapon tree a bit more, especially with Psilons)
f) the results are arranged from lowest to highest and written
g) the program checks if the 5-tier has at least 1 tech researchable, if not we go back to a)
----------------------
After all techs are written, the whole file is re-checked for
a) the availability of at least 1 planetary shield technology
b) the availability of at least 1 IRC technology
c) the availability of at least 1 missile technology (scatter-packs included, torpedoes not included)
d) the availability of Range 4 or Range 5 technology (this is nonsense, obviously, because there has to be one of them in that tier already)
e) if one of these checks fails, the whole file of results is dumped and we restart.

Artifact - this seems so ridiculous, I am not even sure I read it right.
There are max 200 rounds of this:
a) a random tech field is chosen
b) d1..30 (yes you read right) is compared to current tech level of the field, if lower next round
c) else a check is run if the tech on that level exists
d) then a check if the tech was not already researched
e) then the is admitted

Derelict
the same, except that d1..31 is used.

Takeover
a) For every factory, d1..50 is compared to 1
b) For every hit from step a, the max number of tech chosens is increased
c) in last step, the available techs are taken one by one, until we reach the max number
If I understand well, the techs from Comp section are always first and the techs from weapons the last to take. This is very poor desing, something I have seen in AI tech stealing as well. I hope you change that.

Orion
no idea. See OSG.

(March 2nd, 2015, 17:44)kyrub Wrote: Artifact - this seems so ridiculous, I am not even sure I read it right.
There are max 200 rounds of this:
a) a random tech field is chosen
b) d1..30 (yes you read right) is compared to current tech level of the field, if lower next round
c) else a check is run if the tech on that level exists
d) then a check if the tech was not already researched
e) then the is admitted

Derelict
the same, except that d1..31 is used.

Wait, so if all tech fields are higher than 30, you'll never discover a tech from artifacts planet? If it randomly picks Weapon field, and rolls 24, my weapon level is 22, it'd give me "Fusion Rifle" (level 24)? A bit odd, I'd have expected the range to be d1..50, or at least simply remove the check if it's lower, and just give the tech if it exists and isn't already researched. I.e. if I don't have fusion rifle, it'd give me as a result of d24.

As for Derelict, I see this in GNN event occasionally, but I was never on the recieving end. Is it for AI players only?
Dominus Galaxia, a Master of Orion inspired game I'm working on.

So entire files of available techs are rolled at the beginning of the game for each race, which is permanent for the game?

(March 2nd, 2015, 17:44)kyrub Wrote: the available techs are taken one by one, until we reach the max number
If I understand well, the techs from Comp section are always first and the techs from weapons the last to take.

Do you mean go from low to high in Computer first to exhaust it? Then go from low to high in Construction to exhaust it, etc.?
I am pretty sure there is a limit of 6 techs per takeover. I have seen that so many times, but never >6.

(March 2nd, 2015, 21:09)WhiteMage Wrote: Do you mean go from low to high in Computer first to exhaust it? Then go from low to high in Construction to exhaust it, etc.?
I am pretty sure there is a limit of 6 techs per takeover. I have seen that so many times, but never >6.

Yes, you are right and I was wrong.
The called subroutine does not search all acceptable techs, but it searches max 6 available techs, from 6 randomly chosen tech fields.
a) it randomizes field,
b) it chooses random tech from all_techs_the_acquirer_does_not_have
c) it stores it
When it stores max 6 available techs (1000 rounds), we go back to the main stealing routine.
Same subroutine is used for Diplomatic exchange, sweatener, offers, stealing tech.

Quote:Wait, so if all tech fields are higher than 30, you'll never discover a tech from artifacts planet?
The code suggests this. Basically, after you have discovered tech 25, you have already tech level > 30 and you won't get an artifact technology. Note that you may easily *not* get anything even before, since 200 cycles is not too much and there are many possibilities to miss with the choice.

Is the tech tree rolled at the game start, or do you have to invest some RP first?

If the latter, do you have to roll the tech tree before you can pop artifacts?

Thanks.

Wait, does the Artifact Discovery mechanism select from "techs available to player" or from "all techs programmed into the game"? I imagine it must be the latter, but I wonder.
Interestingly, I have conquered Orion after completing all available research (level 99 in all fields) and still pulled techs (Death Ray and 3 others). Sadly my tech levels didn't climb above 99.

(July 4th, 2015, 17:33)Ianus Wrote: Wait, does the Artifact Discovery mechanism select from "techs available to player" or from "all techs programmed into the game"? I imagine it must be the latter, but I wonder.
Interestingly, I have conquered Orion after completing all available research (level 99 in all fields) and still pulled techs (Death Ray and 3 others). Sadly my tech levels didn't climb above 99.

You are correct: Techs pulled from artifacts planets need not be techs in your tree. There is a limit to the tech levels possible, but I don't know how the limit is calculated; the code kyrub describes above does not appear to agree with in-game experience, as I've never seen an ART world yield a tech above level 10 at game start -- higher level techs did appear when finding an ART world after research projects were complete.

(July 2nd, 2015, 23:34)okorz001 Wrote: Is the tech tree rolled at the game start, or do you have to invest some RP first?

All players' tech trees are rolled at game start, before any RP are invested.

(July 5th, 2015, 17:04)RefSteel Wrote: Techs pulled from artifacts planets need not be techs in your tree. There is a limit to the tech levels possible, but I don't know how the limit is calculated; the code kyrub describes above does not appear to agree with in-game experience, as I've never seen an ART world yield a tech above level 10 at game start -- higher level techs did appear when finding an ART world after research projects were complete.

I may have told this story already but in one game I landed two artifact planets a turn apart and pulled Controlled Dead followed by Controlled Radiated. I don't know enough about numerical tech levels but obviously the techs are chosen at random from some set range ABOVE your current level. I have never pulled an Artifact tech LOWER than my current tech level.
I would like to know more about how Orion's techs are chosen. As I said above at tech level 99 one can still get new techs, but as far as I can remember I have never pulled for example IT+10. Is there a minimum level of techs considered?