I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Following the North Star: Jalepeno leads the people to freedom

GreyWolf T64
and we're back after a break of ~10 days.

I've got some units harassing him at his youngest city. Dang, was hoping to find only one warrior on D there.

The lack of road connection and worker support highlights one of the reasons why demos are so overwhelmingly in my favor. A good part of that though is simply being an agri civ who went calendar first, and using agg to get away with fewer unit builds.

Meanwhile, I'm doing everything I can at home to boost my tech rate to speed toward HBR.

I see that you followed my example in this matchup of crashing your economy... wink

(September 5th, 2015, 06:21)jalepeno Wrote: After losing my east stack of cultists to your ships, I was quite gunshy about opening cultists up to ship attack. again, I let early failures color later efforts frown

I think that the key in the East was that I was able to catch the first Cultist unawares (I think), and then the others really had nowhere to run and couldn't get the first hit in due to Slow. In the West, a tactical retreat out of range of Slow might have allowed you to strike in quickly enough to have crippled the few ships I had in that sea, using Tsunami whether they were in or out of port.

Greywolf spoilers
(September 5th, 2015, 21:05)Dreylin Wrote: I see that you followed my example in this matchup of crashing your economy... wink
Is there any other way to play it? mischief Anyways, it's been a long time since I've reported here, let's take a look at what's happened.

I decided to take a shot at Kingsport. I believe a barb warrior got lucky against his zone defense warrior, so it was just the 2 warriors in the city against my scout and griffon. Odds aren't the greatest, but every lost unit helps my economy!

and wins. Next turn I soften up the remaining warrior with my scout, to give another decent odds battle to the griffon.

I did get a little lucky here, but the odds were in my favor. a road connection and some more zone defense warriors would have really helped him here. on the other hand, my attackers were both 2-movers, making it more difficult for him. regardless, this makes my demos lead even more commanding.

and a few turns later...hammer

I'm now building up for a full on horsey "rush" (i know, it's not that early). since my capital was short on hammers, i used it to keep pushing workers/settlers and the other cities to provide hammers. I've got 3 cities which are (or will be shortly) pushing out 18-20 hpt, so that's ~1.5 horsemen per turn. He founded RoK, and must be heading BW now, so there's no time to lose. I have my doubts whether I'll be able to finish him here, but if not, I'll keep expanding (capital building another settler), tech catapults/chariots, and come back soon. Just finished carto, and will switch to city states push my economy along. haven't tech mysticism yet, and probably never will. crazyeye

GreyWolf T82 the end of time
While wandering his water tiles with my beastly griffon, I noticed his border city only had 2 warriors in it. My griffon had 80% odds....and lost. But I figured if he's only got 2 defenders, there's no point in building a up a massive stack, so I sent my first 5 horsies there.

He conceded. Here's a look at my empire: was just about to settle the pig-sheep-horse-[lots of]mines city.

This game was all about the small advantages snow-balling. Aggressive made short work of barbs and animals, giving me a pair of griffons to scout with and some free culture. It also let me farmers gambit quite a bit. Starting with agriculture meant I got into agrarianism earlier, and was able to work the cotton earlier. Going for the plains hill + cotton also helped speed things up (as did not having any capital hammers...no choice but to build settlers/workers!). Lastly, the tight city spacing on my first couple cities meant they started off fast with pre-made improvements.

Old Lion T24
heh heh. I knew he couldn't resist coming back for more, so I laid in wait.

notice the 2 workers. his scout kept me from improving the corn until I built a 2nd warrior, so there was no way one worker could keep up with growth. So I built a 2nd one, and am now growing to 6 very quickly before building a warrior. although his PH start got him to size 2 and 3 first, the corn got me to size 4 first, and should power me ahead going forward. corn+incense>>PH+bananas. my 2nd and 3rd cities will take the hammer duties.