Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Holy Warriors - Civilization 5 (BNW) Succession Game

I had an idea for a Civ 5 variant and I'm interested in running it as a Sucession Game, if enough people would join me on it. The variant is the following: we can never build military units with hammers or buy military units with gold. We can only buy them with faith or get them from military City States. We have to win the game by Conquest.

Other settings, like difficulty, can be discussed further. I have no idea how such a variant will work in practice, but it sounded fun.

So, anyone interested? I think 3 people is enough for a SG, but everyone is welcome to enjoy a bit of Civ 5 fun! lol

(June 2nd, 2015, 09:44)Ichabod Wrote: I had an idea for a Civ 5 variant and I'm interested in running it as a Sucession Game, if enough people would join me on it. The variant is the following: we can never build military units with hammers or buy military units with gold. We can only buy them with faith or get them from military City States. We have to win the game by Conquest.

Other settings, like difficulty, can be discussed further. I have no idea how such a variant will work in practice, but it sounded fun.

So, anyone interested? I think 3 people is enough for a SG, but everyone is welcome to enjoy a bit of Civ 5 fun! lol

I'm willing to join smile

Will we be allowed to upgrade units?

Barbs on or off?

(June 2nd, 2015, 10:59)Rowain Wrote: I'm willing to join smile

Barbs on or off?

jive

I havent thought about unit upgrades, but I think it's more in line with the spirit of the variant that we can't upgrade them (otherwise it's almost like buying units with gold).

I think we can manage with barbs on. It'll probably require a very early focus in faith, to get a quick religion and the Belief we need to buy units. And such constraints are the reason why we want a variant in the first place.

It's all open to debate, though.

(June 2nd, 2015, 11:49)Ichabod Wrote:
(June 2nd, 2015, 10:59)Rowain Wrote: I'm willing to join smile

Barbs on or off?

jive

I havent thought about unit upgrades, but I think it's more in line with the spirit of the variant that we can't upgrade them (otherwise it's almost like buying units with gold).

I think we can manage with barbs on. It'll probably require a very early focus in faith, to get a quick religion and the Belief we need to buy units. And such constraints are the reason why we want a variant in the first place.

It's all open to debate, though.

I might be interested. Two more important variant defining questions from my own experience and T-hawk's writeups:
1. Are scouts considered military?

2. Desert Folklore abusestart or no?

(June 2nd, 2015, 22:08)timmy827 Wrote: I might be interested. Two more important variant defining questions from my own experience and T-hawk's writeups:
1. Are scouts considered military?

2. Desert Folklore abusestart or no?

Hey Timmy, hope you decide to join us!

1. Up to debate. I think we can allow scouts to be built, if only to make the early game more fun, since exploring is very fun in Civ 5. I don't think it would break the spirit of the variant.

2. Well, I think we should actually ban Desert Folklore. It's just too good, if the map helps, and it'd could make the game too easy. I really want to dive in the intricacies of the faith mechanics in Civ 5 (which I hardly ever use) and getting overflowing amounts of faith for free would just kill the variant.

I am also interested. I bought BNW a while back but still haven't played it, so this looks like a good impetus.

Desert Folklore is only a problem if you cook the map settings for lots of flood plains. So just don't do that.

Scouts are full-fledged military units in Civ 5; they don't have the restriction against attacking as in Civ 4. They can hold their own in combat and even kill archers. So we don't really want to allow a lot of them, but we do need something to get out there and actually meet the militaristic city-states. Maybe allow a maximum of 2 scouts at a time.

(June 3rd, 2015, 00:23)T-hawk Wrote: I am also interested. I bought BNW a while back but still haven't played it, so this looks like a good impetus.

Desert Folklore is only a problem if you cook the map settings for lots of flood plains. So just don't do that.

Scouts are full-fledged military units in Civ 5; they don't have the restriction against attacking as in Civ 4. They can hold their own in combat and even kill archers. So we don't really want to allow a lot of them, but we do need something to get out there and actually meet the militaristic city-states. Maybe allow a maximum of 2 scouts at a time.

We have a starting warrior.
Militaristic CS are not a given anyway.
Some Faith cost at Quickspeed:

Scout 30
Warrior, Archer 50
Spear 70
Comp Bow , cats, Swords 100

The main rise and fall lies in getting the religious trait and the reformation that allows buying units. And surviving the Barbs and the first wardec. Additional problems will arise when the AI start to send missionaries/great Prophets of their religion to convert your cities.

Happy to play

So, we seem to have enough players to get this rolling.

Current roster:

Ichabod
Rowain
timmy827
T-hawk
yuris125

I guess we need to figure out some settings (someone please point out if I forgot something important). If T-hawk says desert folklore is fine without cooking, I'd say we allow it, since we are rolling a random map.

Game speed? (my votes: normal speed)

Difficulty? (emperor? Not sure about it, though I don't think I'd go lower than Monarch)

Map type and size? (I'd go with Pangea map, because it seems we can't buy naval units with faith. Map size can be standard, which I think has 6 civs and 12 city states? I wouldn't mind a slightly larger map, like 7/14)

Scouts? Allow them, ban them, limit them? (I'd say we should be allowed to build one scout in the start of the game, just to make it more fun. No further units after that. But I don't mind banning them altogether, to be strict about our variant)

Anything else I'm forgetting? Do we start discussing our Civ/Leader pick?

I've only played one game of BNW, and it was a Venice with a folklore/petra start and the new cutural victory. So wouldn't say I'm expert on settings but Normal/Emp sounds reasonable.

Re scouts: I think allowing them is fine
Re folklore: yeah, mostly agree with T-hawk, just don't reroll maps for big desert starts and should be fine.

It's been too long since I've looked over all the civs and won't have time until after work today, but from what I remember most civ faith-generating bonus were pretty weak I think? Maybe we pick one with a direct military advantage, or one with a city state advantage since both militaristic and faith CS will be important?