Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Laptop help

Hi guys,

My faithful netbook (Samsung NC-10) started complaining about old age and memory problems, showing BSOD with alarming frequency. So looking for a replacement. With netbooks being phased out in favour of smartphones and tablets, I don't actually have that many options. Advice would be very welcome smile

What I want:
1. The laptop must be able to run Civ 4. I primarily use the laptop when travelling, and need to play my turns when my desktop pc is not available
1a. As a corollary, it needs to run Windows - I know there are ways to run Civ 4 on MacOS and it's probably possible on Linux or Android, but I don't want to spend time and effort trying to figure out how
2. I don't want to spend more than £250. I will consider slightly more than that for the right machine, but £250 is what I want to limit myself to. I think it approxmately matches to $300 in American prices
3. Battery life is the next priority, I'd be happy with advertised battery life of 8 hours, but the longer the better

Everything else is optional, with portability being the next priority

I did some research, and it looks like laptop/tablet transformers with detachable keyboard (such as Acer Aspire Switch) are all the rage these days. My main problem is that all of the ones I saw have a 32GB eMMC as the storage device, and no hard drive. I wouldn't expect Windows to take less than 20GB, so there isn't much space for other software. Does anyone have experience with these devices? What are your impressions?

Beyond that, the laptop I found which seems to meet my requirements best is Toshiba Satellite C55-C-1M9. I am however worried by lack of reviews for this specific model, and not sure if I can trust the advertised battery life of "up to 7 hours", as other laptops with similar specs promise 5 hours or less. Any thoughts on this? How certain can I be that battery life of this one would be sufficient?

Any other recommendations? Any advice would be welcome

So, SCAN returns this as well: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/offer-asu...sb-optical

Marginally better CPU, but more importantly I put far more trust in ASUS than Toshiba, my experience with Toshiba has been systematically disappointing (but it was 10 years ago, after which I avoided their products).
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Thanks for the reply smile I like this option at the first glance, but concerned they're saying nothing about battery life though... any idea how long that would last?

PC World profile for this same machine says up to 4 hours, so not great. I also looked on Argos, and it looks like they have a decent deal on this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...144584.htm

This was a machine reviewed as "lacklustre" at its original price of £380, so for £110 less seems a good deal. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1...4sa-review
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Oh the HP one does look quite good. 4 hours is unfortunately not enough for me. Thanks for the advice!! smile