As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

AI scouting.

The ai doesn't scout. They simply know everything. However, they do keep track of what cities they have encountered, so they can't do things like city curses on a city they haven't actually found.

This gives rise to several problems.

First, the AI can target any enemy stacks with their own units, even if they can't actually 'see' it the way the human can.

- This I believe is not a problem. Given Seravy's updates to overland AI movement and pathfinding, this can stay as is. Since all stacks get new orders every turn, the AI stacks will often act as if they were going for enemy cities (which don't need sight range) or for enemy stsvks within sight range. Even if we could improve this, I don't think it would actually change much.

- Sub point: AI navy follows this rule, which I find can be troublesome, as they can chase down things a human might lose track of; as well, its harder for the human to rationalize what that fleet was doing when it was out of sight range. However, as fleet movements (despite being important) are not the primary actions of the game, I think trying to fix this should have lower priority. (Its also probably the hardest of the problems to solve.)

Next, ai overland spell targeting against enemy units. The AI can currently cast unit spells on any enrmy units. To me this is the biggest lapse in realism that AI scouting has, and is the problem I would most like to see fixed (especially when casting things like dispelling wave onto the other plane when the AI has never even been to that plane.)

- To solve this, I would love if the targeting parameters for the spell could actual sight rules. Since it's an immediate effect, all that would happen is that any targets not in 'sight' of the AI would simply be invalid targets. Then the AI would follow its normal targeting rules, but if it picked an invalid target it would move onto the next target (and not lose the spell).

- However, its quite possible this is not possible - especially if human sight rules is not easily callable.

- At the very least, I would like to see the AI only casting spells at enemy units on the same plane as its own units.

- Between 'proper sight' targeting and 'only on the right plane' I have another solution, but it was conceived for AI settlers; it also doesn't make nearly as much sense for spell targeting as it does for settlers. So I will describe it below.

Targeting nodes/lairs/towers. The AI targets these based on their strategic strength (with lots of other modifiers as per ai overland unit orders). Unlike the human the AI simply knows this - doesn't have to scout for types, nor guess at the exact strength even if the types ate known.

- Honestly, the human can save/load here, and do things like sprite or naga abuse. I'm OK with the AI having this advantage and do not think it should change.

Targetting cities: as previously mentioned, the AI can only target cities it has found. I believe this is for city curse targeting only, and works exactly like the human player, where once a spot is explored, then if a city appears there, the AI knows. I believe targetting the city with units acts just like targetting units in the overland movement decision logic.

- I think this is all good.

- I have one question though: can the AI target a city with its troops for overland movement, if it has not found the city (and so can't use city curses on it?) If so, what if the enemy city has 0 units in it? I believe on either case it should be able to.

Finally, settling. The AI knows the whole map, so when it decides a place for a settler to go, it always gets good choices.

- This doesn't really break my immersion (unlike targeting enemy units with offensive overland spells) but it probably has the biggest affect on the early game difficulty.

- This is the second area I would like to focus on improving.
Ideally, we want the AI to have some advantage, because humans are better at choosing city locations based on the needs of that moment in that game.
Because of this we do not want the AI to actually follow the same rules as the human. But it would be nice if the AI was not quite so perfect about it, and if there was at least the pretense that it actually sends scouts out.

- Therefore I'd like to add in a condition on settling based on turn. If the target square is beyond 1.5 squares per turn from the capital, it should simply be an invalid target.
Settling on the other plans would be based on distance from any tower, and the distance would be (turn-100)*1.5 (minimum 0) +3.

- Then I'd increase number of magic spirits by 1 or 2 and when no nodes need meldong (either not cleared or blocked by enemy troops) have all magic spirits move about 'exploring'. Make them move generally away from their capital, preferring land squares (and not going into the poles), and not be part of the normal stack creations. If we do away with magic spirits as the normal exploration unit for the human then I'd suggest a sub routine for exploring, but I haven't come up with a good way to identify which units should go exploring. I'd want some ships, and non heroes with scouting 2, but it would interfere a lot with stack creation.

- If the scouting sub routine is interesting I can try to come up with specific numbers (whether for magic spirit or others).

- I'd also specifically keep the current rules about spirits per plane to ensure that as soon as possible the AI appears to 'scout' the other plane. Scouting with non magic spirits, on the second plane would be much more difficult.

As mentioned above, targetting enemy units could be based on the turn based distance limit; however if we did something like that it would probably need to be refined quite a bit more. Since turns would fairly early cover the whole plane anyway. (Which is intentional for settlers, but doesn't do much for overland unit curse realism.)

Ugh this is huge. Sorry. Probably disjointed too. I'll try to answer or clarify anything which seems interesting but isn't clear.

It's okay that it's big, but the many paragraphs makes it a little hard to figure out what goes together.

Personally, I would much rather let the AI cheat by having extra information than by having extra resources. This way the AI is effectively "smarter", and gives us a stronger challenge. I think it's a good thing to make it as easy as possible for the AI to settle in good locations, my recent games suggest that it's still not great at deciding where to settle.

I wouldn't mind seeing a fix where the AI can only cast spells on stacks it has visibility on.

Problem is extra information innately makes the early game harder, and then when you learn as much as the AI, it no longer has that advantage. Given that I personally already dislike the frenzied early game, I'd rather tilt it in the other direction.

Quote:Sub point: AI navy follows this rule, which I find can be troublesome, as they can chase down things a human might lose track of; as well, its harder for the human to rationalize what that fleet was doing when it was out of sight range. However, as fleet movements (despite being important) are not the primary actions of the game, I think trying to fix this should have lower priority. (Its also probably the hardest of the problems to solve.)

Intercontinental attacks have a range of 12 - any enemy unit or city further away from the flying/etc stack is not a valid target - if no such targets exist, they go for the selected "main action continent".
However naval attacks have unlimited range - if the only enemy unit on the sea is a magic spirit on the other side of the globe, all ships will move towards it. This is largely responsible for what you experience, although even if the range was limited, nothing can get that far away from the ship anyway, and they'll lose sight of the ship way earlier so they won't know they're still being chased.
Adding a limit here would be trivial (actually, not sure, I think the naval procedure is pretty much out of space) but it's intentionally not limited to ensure the fleets will actually occupy the sea near enemy territory where they are relevant. Ships can't "go to the main action continent" as they are not land units.
Furthermore, multiple 1 ship stacks chasing the same unit inevitable causes the ships to step on the same tile eventually as they head towards the same target, which is one of the main reasons why AI ships form stacks.

Quote:To solve this, I would love if the targeting parameters for the spell could actual sight rules. Since it's an immediate effect, all that would happen is that any targets not in 'sight' of the AI would simply be invalid targets. Then the AI would follow its normal targeting rules, but if it picked an invalid target it would move onto the next target (and not lose the spell).
I could do this (well, not sure, but I think there is space...), the only problem I see with it is, in this case the AI is better off not casting the spell in the first place as they might be limited to crappy targets. It's not like a human player to have a unit next to the city they plan to target with Fire Storm...wait, does the player even need to see the units in the city to target it? They do for units outside but not sure how it works inside.

The other thing here, the AI will always target the best target - but "best" also includes weight based on how much army the AI has nearby - ideally you want to hit something you can attack next turn.
So hitting something the AI cannot see (or can't "almost" see) is pretty unlikely unless they don't see any acceptable targets.

The greatest problem is, these spells target on resolution. If the AI doesn't see your units at that time, the spell is wasted. It's easy to abuse as well - if detect magic shows the AI is casting Fire Storm, move your doomstack away from their sight range - they don't get a chance to move and find the units again before the spell resolves, nor could they do it even if they wanted.

Honestly, if the AI couldn't target these freely, I would make them not cast it at all because all of them suck if you aren't hitting the perfect target.

Quote:I have one question though: can the AI target a city with its troops for overland movement, if it has not found the city (and so can't use city curses on it?) If so, what if the enemy city has 0 units in it?

I believe on either case it should be able to.
It can in both cases.

Quote:If the target square is beyond 1.5 squares per turn from the capital, it should simply be an invalid target.
Settlers move 1/turn, except lizardmen, so they pretty much already observe this restriction by being literally unable to get there that fast.  Ultimately, the entire map is only ~30 tiles wide in each direction.
The core problem I see here is a logical contradiction :
The scouting radius should be the area average units can reach in that many turns. In reality they see further (scouting range), but they won't always move on a straight line, so we can go with equal here, so SC=N (scouting limit=normal unit range)
Settlers are slower than normal units (SE<N)
The scouting range has to be less than settler movement speed, otherwise it never restricts the settler (SC<SE)

SC<SE & SE<N  -> SC<N but SC=N which is a contradiction.

The only exception are Lizardmen where SE=SC=N, as settlers have a speed of 2.

Quote:Then I'd increase number of magic spirits by 1 or 2 and when no nodes need meldong (either not cleared or blocked by enemy troops) have all magic spirits move about 'exploring'. Make them move generally away from their capital, preferring land squares (and not going into the poles), and not be part of the normal stack creations
I like this one but it wouldn't work. If spirits are pushed away from the AI's continent, by the time a node is cleared, they'll be quite far, the AI would lose like 10 turns worth of power income from that node in the early game because it takes that long for the spirit to get back - the AI can't summon a new one because it already has the maximal amount. The other problem is the difficulty in defining "far". For example if they reach 30 tiles east from the capital and take another step, they'll be 31 tiles east...but only 29 tiles west because the map is connected. So then they'd turn around and get stuck in the "border" between east and west.

In going to just post again that the thing about unit curse casts is when it's completely impossible - like the other plane. As a life player, this happens virtually every game I have a sircety opponent, because it takes a long time to get multiple death stacks, and until then, the first death stack is WAY stronger than any of my other armies. Like, I have halberdiers that in a strategic sense are as strong as 5 (OK maybe only 2 or 3) archangels. Then I have 9 of those in one stack. If there is a distance restriction, it isn't nearly good enough to overcome that kind of buffing.

(February 13th, 2017, 18:07)Nelphine Wrote: In going to just post again that the thing about unit curse casts is when it's completely impossible - like the other plane. As a life player, this happens virtually every game I have a sircety opponent, because it takes a long time to get multiple death stacks, and until then, the first death stack is WAY stronger than any of my other armies. Like, I have halberdiers that in a strategic sense are as strong as 5 (OK maybe only 2 or 3) archangels. Then I have 9 of those in one stack. If there is a distance restriction, it isn't nearly good enough to overcome that kind of buffing.

Oh, Dispelling Wave. Forgot about that one. That's one more argument for not limiting it - I remember the old days when a super buffed stack was literally unstoppable and a guaranteed easy win - And it remained that way until the AI learned to target such stacks with Dispelling Wave (and later Stasis). It's pretty each to keep the doomstack out of sight and then take advantage of Wind Walking (or any replacement) to drop it near the enemy capital and win, completely bypassing the Dispelling Wave chance that's keeping the doomstack strategy in check.

That is if you did mean Dispelling Wave is what's targeting the units, but based on the stack description, it probably is. The AI doesn't look at stack strength - it looks at targeting desirability for each individual unit based on the spell being cast : Dispelling Wave prefers more enchantments, Fire Storm more figures and less armor, Blizzard is anything goes, Stasis goes after higher unit cost, lower resistance, and heroes.

Fun fact : Dispelling Wave can target tiles without seeing the units even for the human player, as long as it's in a city - because it also targets cities. Still haven't tested if this is true for the other spells.

Yes, the human can. I'd be OK with the AI firing blind too. And its not to make them invincible - my problem is when its completely unrealistic, and breaks immersion. Sorcery AI at war with me and someone else in his plane, neither of those ai has ever had a unit on my plane, and he hits my doom stack (who's fighting a third AI on my plane) with 5 dispelling waves in two turns.

I accept that there needs to be ways for AI to beat windwalking death stacks. I'd be OK if they could use unit curses on enemies within 12-15 squares of their own cities (which is still far outside of sight range) for just that reason. Its's also why I advocated so hard to limit overland movement to 10 squares per turn with perfect artifacts (its also why I don't use jaer except on impossible). I'm simply looking for some semblance of realism.

And on another note - a stack of very rates would actually be cheaper than my death stack - yet not only can a (fairly) cheap spell defeat it (which itself isn't so bad since the spells being dispelled are also individually cheap), it can do it without any restriction.

Perhaps mega buffing is an unfair strategy and it shouldn't be in the game, but allowing the AI to counter it with the extreme prejudice it does now, isn't the way to solve that.

(February 13th, 2017, 18:59)Nelphine Wrote: Yes, the human can. I'd be OK with the AI firing blind too. And its not to make them invincible - my problem is when its completely unrealistic, and breaks immersion. Sorcery AI at war with me and someone else in his plane, neither of those ai has ever had a unit on my plane, and he hits my doom stack (who's fighting a third AI on my plane) with 5 dispelling waves in two turns.

I did add a check for the target being an enemy. Wait, you say there is a war, then what's the problem?
If you went out of your way to declare war on, let's say, the United States, would you hack their missile launch systems to disable all their nukes while your actual military is busy fighting in Brazil for some reason? Hell, yes, you can never know when they want to take the war seriously and use those nukes - even if they are pointed at another country right now.

More direct answer : The AI doesn't make a distinction between "enemy I'm attacking" and "enemy I'm not attacking". There is only "enemy" and attacks are made whenever there is an opportunity. Aside from the scouting issue, I see nothing wrong with this, but unlike city curses, where the AI won't automatically forfeit the match by not casting them due to scouting limits, here it's not like that. If it's not the Sorcery AI dispelling your doomstack, the others cannot, and you win the game.

Quote:I'd be OK if they could use unit curses on enemies within 12-15 squares of their own cities (which is still far outside of sight range) for just that reason.

Dispelling happens over a longer period of time, say 10 turns for an average wizard. Even if your stack is slow, the chance of the AI not picking "Dispelling Wave" between the time the stack starts moving towards their capital and reaching it, they are dead.
And it has to be cast at least 3-4 times. Once or twice for Spell Locks, and more to actually dispel things off multiple units.
Furthermore, the AI is affected by personalities. Maniacal and Ruthless will dispel a lot, but Peaceful and Lawful doesn't do it much and unless it happens at a randomly inconvenient time, it doesn't help at all. Yes, by randomly inconvenient time I mean stuff like losing wind walking and having the entire stack drown.

Ultimately it's there not to directly protect the AI, but to steer the player away from always using this tactic, or at least force them to deal with additional layers of strategy to use it - eliminate the wizard having sorcery, check if they have dispel at all, get rid of AEther Binding if they cast it, don't step on water if dispelling is possible, make a wizard's pact so they can't dispel you, take Runemaster to protect your enchantments, adapt a different strategy if the enemy is a Runemaster and you can't make peace, etc - all of these details are gone from the game if the player can jut say "heh, I'm not entering Sorcery territory so I can just beat everyone else without having to deal with the only thing that could stop it". It's not like there are absolutely no ways to deal with it - and sorcery wizards are not even guaranteed in the game so the strategy still works, it's just not a 100% win anymore.

btw, just one thing. Let's say I somehow do this. But the AI has invisible units - it happens, a stray ninja hero, a night stalker, nightblades or just an invisibility artifact. So the AI targets the doomstack because it has an invisible unit somewhere near. And then what will the player think? "Hey the AI is targeting my stuff without seeing it". So in the end, even if I do it, the player will still think it isn't done. (No, invisible AI stacks are not THAT common, but not too rare either - heroes often end up moving alone and might hold an invisibility artifact - and the AI is taught to target Invisibility on the overland map at stacks already containing as many invisible units as possible to hide the entire stack - sadly they don't spam the spell often enough for this to happen to large stacks, but those 2 sky drakes hunting for targets just might be invisible anyway - and ironically enough they're too weak to attack the doomstack so they are going to be unnoticed.)

Right, but this is equivalent to saying 'oh you have 9 great drakes. Well, now they're hell hounds.'

You wouldn't allow that, for good reason. Consider great unsummoning and the limits you put on that. Consider the care you've put into other things. Life is about buffing. That's what they do. They don't have powerful summons, they don't have strong combat spells (that actually kill things). They take units, and make them better. (They can also make perfect heroes. Which are actually stronger. But that's precisely why I don't use hero strategies.)

I'd be totally OK with the invisible dispel. I'd be OK with any form of limited range unit curses - especially if it meant teaching the AI how to get around those ranges. Playing a game where I need to flank my doomstack with scouts of my own, to find invisible units, would make sense. My story of 5 dispelling waves isn't made up. When a sorcery opponent gets 500+ casting skill (and wasn't the strongest casting skill AI in the game) they can cast an absolutely huge amount of spells. Should I kill them before end game? Perhaps. I can't always do that. Make dispelling wave a very rare and I'd be fine with it being useable anywhere on either plane - that's what great unsummoning is, and.. The death one for normal units. But as it is, I really think that a range of some kind is better, to give the illusion that there's something the buff tactic can do against an uncommon spell. (I've had games with a nature wizard who spammed dispelling wave. Life, without buffs, really doesn't do a lot against a strong nature wizard.)