As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Food shortage

In the mod, each unit eats 0.5 food, so each food maintains two units.

However, if you are low on food, you only lose one unit for each missing food - which is inconsistent with the actual cost.

Should I fix this to lose two units for each missing food? (losing units this way is quite annoying so I didn't bother so far.)

I would leave it as is, primarily because one of the most common ways for it to happen is to lose a city you don't expect to lose, so you can easily drop 5-7 food in one shot. Which would be a massive amount of soldiers.

Personally, I think it's fine as it is. It gives you a turn to save the others. Technically, save half of the others each turn.

I just realized the same is true for the AI. Even if you hit all their cities except the capital at once and raze them, they only disband half their troops each turn, allowing plenty of time to counterattack using them.
This makes such surprise attack tactics a lot less effective, for better or worse.

...actually it's even worse, it also ignores the AI maintenance discounts. So, like, if the AI was feeding 50 units from the 10 food produced in a city and you raze it, they'll disband 10 units a turn so it'll take them 5 turns to lose them all. Which is plenty of time to use them all up in battles anyway.

Do we STILL want it unfixed? (it is more AI friendly this way so I don't mind.)

I believe we should keep it unfixed. Its actually almost like starvation rules. They don't die instantly, they die over time as they starve, giving you time to fix the food problem. Higher difficulties give AI more time, which is fine