As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Golem

Continued from here : http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showt...#pid652624

Please post your opinion on how to change the Golem unit, assuming everything else (building costs and Dwarf mineral bonus) remains unchanged.

Make it require an armorers guild, reduce armor by 0, 1, or 2.

Requirements: Armorer's Guild + Alchemist's Guild
Armour: Reduced by 2
Hearts: Increased by 5
Cost: Increased to 200

Big defense is a problem, big health not so much. Health will be whittled down, but it's good short-term.

Armorer's guild is meaningless if we don't do the AG nerf. What about magic immunity? You can take out a city full of magicians even if the golem has no armor, and magicians are the most frequent AI garrisons in the mid and late game. (Not that other things can't do it well but golems are on a different scale than casting elemental armor or bless...)

Golem #1

Cost 125 .. Same Building Requirements
Melee: 12
Armor: 5
Resistance: 10+
HP: 20
Move: 3
Magic Immunity

Golem #2

Cost 125 (same building requirements)
Melee: 14
Armor: 6
Resistance: 10+
HP: 25
Move: 3
Cold/Fire/Illusion/Poison/nearly all immunities but missile/weapon.

What do they have in common?
*A cost that more closely resembles building requirements and a cost that is LOWER than hammerhands
*Durability that is comparable to an early hero with cheap equipment / Notice that HP is untouched or even higher
*The non-magic immunity version is physically more durable (25hp is excellent) and retains most possible immunities.

I guess the Magician garrison argument is valid. If it has to lose Magic Immunity, I see some merit to zitro's 2nd suggestion. It should have Death Immunity as and Stoning Immunity as well. A big problem with MoM and CoM (in my opinion) is that immunities are used much too rarely. I think it should have Wall Crusher as well, that ability doesn't see enough use.

Golems already have Wall Crusher and I think they even had it in the vanilla game.

Edit : No they did not have it in vanilla MoM, but they do have it in the mod.

And yes, the armorers guild requirenwbt is specifically based on current stats, or my proposed small armor reduction. I don't care that it doesn't change gameplay much (I think it will), the current stats warrant armorers guild + other big building (such as mechanicians, although I agree that alchemists guild feels more appropriate.)

Thematic unit stats based on building requirements is important. (In other words, saying that its too easy to get an armorers guild, and therefore night blades should require fighters guild, is a silly argument in my opinion. A golem is the same - its not about how easy or hard it is to get the buildings, its the fact the stats of the golem reflect that building.)

It's easy to take a city guarded only by magicians, though. Resist Elements on any decent unit means they go down. Do we want all-magician garrisons?

Quote:It's easy to take a city guarded only by magicians, though. Resist Elements on any decent unit means they go down. Do we want all-magician garrisons?

Well, Resist Elements does help but you still need an entire army and will usually have some losses (It's only +4 DEF so you take some damage and there are 9 of them. Also they have Caster 20 and might dispel it or hurt the units with spells.)
Elemental Armor comes closer but it's a rare and it is still vulnerable to dispelling so you need multiple units.

Meanwhile a single Golem can go through most of an enemy empire and raze every city alone (I did that before).
The other problem is Golems also beat other magical ranged units like Storm Giants, Efreet, Djinn etc. tho you probably need 2 for each one of these defending, it's still far more effective than it should be. (Assuming you have web or flight ofc)

To answer the question, we definitely want (mostly) magical ranged garrisons when available - missile is vulnerable to common missile immunity, and melee is vulnerable to ranged. Not specifically Magicians - but that's usually the best such unit among normal units for most races.

So...let's summarize...

Golem
Cost : depends on the other stats
Melee : Shouldn't be too low because it's a single figure. 14-20?
Armor : ?
Health : 20. Any higher and it won't die to Crack's Call.
Resistance : High (15)
Abilities : Wall Crusher, Illusion, Fire, Cold, Stoning, Poison, Death Immunity.
Movement : ? (I still think movement is a good place to make the unit stand out, if necessary.)