As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Gold bonus cap change

We didn't do any real analysis on what the gold cap change means so I thought we should...a bit too late but better than never.

Assuming a tax of 2 (amount is not relevant) and no additional gold buildings (would overcomplicate things for no real new information), for each "max pop" amount shown by the surveyor on the map :

The green line is the base gold you'll get from any non-Nomad city if you don't have roads.

Assuming you have roads connecting enough population to reach the cap, the red line is the old system (cap of 3%/pop), the yellow line is the current one (5%/pop but max of 75).

For nomad cities, the purple line is the old, the blue is the new system. Note that Nomad cities don't get a Granary so they don't have +5 population added to the map amount. Everyone else does.

What this means is...
-The new system is closer to being linear than the old one - each extra people generate roughly the same profit instead of more.
-The old system was slightly non-linear - the closer the pop grew to the max, the more profitable each people became. This rewarded the use of population raising effects (Change Terrain, Gaea's Blessing, Omniscient). It also rewarded using population shrinking effects on larger cities (Corruption, Call the Void, Pestilence). Instead the new system rewards shrinking effects on smaller cities where doing so is naturally less effective due to how the spells work.
-The old system had a single cutoff : After pop 20, any additional pop from the terrain was useless as granary and farmer's market maxed it anyway. However pop between 15-20 were quite significant.
-The new system has two : First, pop after 20 still doesn't matter (except for nomads), but pop in the 10-20 range matters LESS while pop 0-10 matters more. In other words the new system rewards the "3 cities on pop 12 is better than two on pop 18" mentality even further and that is already overly relevant as cities have a lot of capacity to produce resources independent of the population size.
-Nomads are buffed quite a bit - They don't actually need the roads to receive the bonus, so the change makes their economy more front-loaded.
-Players get move gold overall as a generic rule, and roads are more powerful.

Whether these changes are good or bad are subjective and we should discuss it but I am worried they are overall harmful for the game instead of improving it. In fact almost every effect seems to be going towards the wrong direction...

So...assuming the intention of the whole thing was to make the gold bonus come into play earlier, I decided to see how 25%+2*pop looks like. Basically, the first 25% is always applied no matter the population and the rest is linear.

This is the result : (light blue and dark green lines)

For such a drastic change of 25% instead of none at all, the result is almost identical to the original, there is like, 2 gold extra across the board until it reaches high pop and even that vanishes. (and even this 2 gold is for max pop 1,  so translating that to current pop with farmer's market, 6 people. If you only have 2 people, your +25% gold is still 1 gold or none depending on the tax rate.) 
Well obviously, no population produces no taxes, so a higher bonus on nothing is still nothing. Well, damn, I should have realized that. I'm stupid. We changed the system for no reason at all - getting an extra 25% gold or not on the 5 gold taxes is totally irrelevant. Maybe not in the early game but...that early you don't have roads. So at best it raises the luck factor of having or not having a capital on a river mouth tile...

Do note that as far as I know, the Marketplace does not benefit from any percentage gold bonus, so there is no extra 8 gold that can make the bonus relevant. On production where the discussion actually started, the Sawmill and the Stables both benefit from the terrain bonus, making it much more relevant.

...at this point I have to ask, does anyone have any objections to rolling back to the original system? I don't see the change achieving the intended goal (much better effect on small pop cities) and the side effects are pretty bad.

Sorry, don't have the slightest clue about how gold income works. I build roads and such 'cause it says they increases income, but I don't even know how that works or by how much. Didn't even know there was a cap. So no objections here, I suppose.