As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Klackon early research

I do like to use Klackons when playing Impossible (or Hardest in RotP). But I recently started experimenting with a new approach. I used to just try to build out my factories ASAP, to the appropriate population level. I usually build for 70% population, so 140 factories on the home world. And I'll do that on my second world as well, although sometimes I forget and it ends up with max factories.

But, I realized that on turn 1 Klackons generate more Research than Psilons. Of course the Pslion advantage grows as they build out factories. So, I instead switched to starting research right away with Klackons basically splitting my production between research and factories after I build scouts, and this has worked pretty well. It gives a good jump on research, especially for Construction and Planetology as needed. You can adjust Propulsion as needed depending on when you'll actually need the range.

Been playing with this a bit more, and yeah, early research seems to be the way to go. Generally, I'll start with like 90% in Construction, and 5% and 5% in Planetology and Propulsion. Tech 9 if available to quickly start, usually only takes a couple of turns to get it, then go for 80% reduction, regardless of what the second tier tech is. Opt for Tech 8 if available once 80% is done. Once getting the second Construction tech, then redistribute to put a lot more in Planetology and Propulsion, depending on needs. Typically go for 10+, even though its not needed right away, just because its cheap an gives a slight boost to worker production and reduction of Colony Ship cost. Then opt for Improved Eco unless you find Barren worlds that you will want to colonize soon. Propulsion of course depends on the circumstances. But typically when starting research this early you don't need to put a lot of research into range tech yet. So typically once I get the first tier Construction tech(s) I'll go hard on Planetology. So adjust it to like 90% Planetology and 5%/5% on Construction and Propulsion. Then once depending on how much range is needed and when, then either start going harder on propulsion as needed or open up Computers and start getting computers. From here things depend on the situation, but generally try to Tech 9, 80% Waste and Tech 8 ASAP, along with +10 and Improved Eco, then get minimum Landing Techs required for planet types in range. Be prepared to shift major research to Propulsion to quickly get that when its needed, and open up Computers, going for the cheapest option, and then looking for IRCIII.