As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Ianus -- Farmer's Gambit?

I'm curious in learning about some of the more unconventional tactics, particularly for starting Impossible games in Kyrub's patch. I'm pretty well versed in the Meklar Gambit -- scrap the Colony Ship and reinvest that reserve capital immediately. I saw in an older game a reference to "Farmer's Gambit":

http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showt...p?tid=8865

what is that in MOO1? I understand the concept in Civ, but am not sure how that translates to MOO1.

Also, speaking of Kyrub's patch -- I noticed that when you win it refers to "Emperor [player number]" and the image is always the human. Is that an issue? Or is that a feature of playing from GoG?

Thanks!

(February 20th, 2019, 09:02)Bionic Commando Wrote: Also, speaking of Kyrub's patch -- I noticed that when you win it refers to "Emperor [player number]" and the image is always the human. Is that an issue? Or is that a feature of playing from GoG?

Did you make any changes to the game's audio configuration and/or the DosBox audio settings? I have the same issue when I pipe the MIDI to a software synthesizer. If I use the standard SoundBlaster emulation, I get the correct victory cinematic. (But the software synth is sooo much better!)

That goes for both kyrub's patch and the vanilla version 1.3, but I got mine from GOG, so no idea if it comes from there.

(February 20th, 2019, 09:17)RFS-81 Wrote: Did you make any changes to the game's audio configuration and/or the DosBox audio settings? I have the same issue when I pipe the MIDI to a software synthesizer. If I use the standard SoundBlaster emulation, I get the correct victory cinematic. (But the software synth is sooo much better!)

That goes for both kyrub's patch and the vanilla version 1.3, but I got mine from GOG, so no idea if it comes from there.

Not that I'm aware of! I just play the game through GOG and overwrote a couple of the files through my Mac's command line to install the Kyrub patch. The MIDI music is substantially improved from the original game from what I recall, so my guess is that it may be using a modified audio piping.

I don't know for sure, but since no one else has answered yet: I guess farmer's gambit just means not spending on fleet and offensive/defensive techs. Humans* can usually easily get away with that until the borders solidify and AIs start being boxed in.

* As in, the Human race in-game. The human in front of the computer may have trouble staying out of war if they choose a different race wink

Looks like you’re right! Found this old thread describing it:

http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showt...hp?tid=282

So my next question would be, assuming 5/Imp/Medium when and what ships do you start producing?

Usually 2300-2325 is building up the homeworld, having Col-1 contribute research for IT10, ER3 and range tech. I'll build scouts to hold down any promising planets.

Around 2325, I start building a col ship and doing Fly Bros to generate population and land grabbing. At this point, should I be generating a couple dozen fighters? NPG is still at best 25 turns away (probably longer since one might try to grab RW80 first if available), but I get that it's important to stand up a couple ships.

I guess typically around 2350, you'd hope to have your initial colonies stood up and convert homeworld to navy construction.

Understanding each game is a little different, but those seem like an appropriate timeline?