As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Game balance brainstorming.

(November 1st, 2020, 11:02)massone Wrote: It's been proposed a long time ago. Personally, I think rather than a hard rule, it would be better for it to exist as a trade interest, relations penalty hit with the wizard you got the spell from, as I mentioned a few posts ago. It would feel more natural that way. If it's a hard rule, people will complain "why can't I trade a spell I have full knowledge of! It's mine already!" But if they get a message from the first wizard telling them afterwards "How dare you trade away my spell! If you're just going to spread my magic secrets to the whole world, I'll not share any more with you!" then it feels more reasonable, and they're able to violate it sometimes if they want to.

The trouble with that is that you have to remember who traded what with you, so you can make sure you don't annoy your favoured trading partners.

(November 1st, 2020, 12:29)MrBiscuits Wrote: The trouble with that is that you have to remember who traded what with you, so you can make sure you don't annoy your favoured trading partners.

I'd consider that a feature rather than trouble, requiring some player effort to keep track of things and their trading partners happy.

Quote:For whatever reason, it seems to me that it is now very difficult to trade even when there are plenty of trading partners with single realm shared. I commented before on how AI consistently demands a rarity tier higher, and while these may be intentional changes, I personally feel that it's gone too far in that direction.

So you are saying to undo this one?
Quote:-When the human player requests a trade with an AI, if there are at least 6 AI wizards (at the beginning of the game), then the player has to offer at least +1 spell value for each 2 AI players in the game above 4.
In a max player game, that's roughly 1/3 of a tier difference, but it is the only mechanic that can make brokering harder.

Quote: Also, my proposition would involve subject them to the same or equitably equivalent trade-value rules as the player.
This has been discussed before and it's impossible by definition. If two AIs trade, even if the rules say "must get lower value spell" that results in the other AI getting the higher value spell. This rule only works for the human player because they are not trading with another human player, so there can be a clear distinction which side gets the "equal or lower value" half of the deal.
Exactly equal is obviously not happening because there isn't all that many spells with equal value. The current implementation allows the value to be +/- 7 apart from each other. That's enough to make reasonable trades, but of course it also means the AI might get something worth 7 more than their own spell and even broker it upwards for a next spell that's worth 14 more than 21, etc.

Quote:Are you talking about just between AI to AI?
Yes.

Quote:It's been proposed a long time ago. Personally, I think rather than a hard rule, it would be better for it to exist as a trade interest, relations penalty hit with the wizard you got the spell from, as I mentioned a few posts ago. It would feel more natural that way. If it's a hard rule, people will complain "why can't I trade a spell I have full knowledge of! It's mine already!" But if they get a message from the first wizard telling them afterwards "How dare you trade away my spell! If you're just going to spread my magic secrets to the whole world, I'll not share any more with you!" then it feels more reasonable, and they're able to violate it sometimes if they want to.

The problems with this one are :
-A relation penalty is too harsh. Players shouldn't be forced into wars for trading spells.
-A trade interest penalty is not relevant. Wait and it grows back to the maximal amount. I can safely ignore that even if it happens.
-There is no reasonable explanation why the wizard knows we traded away our spell. That other wizard might have simply researched it on their own or found it somewhere.
-There is now way I'll be able to remember who I got all 20 spells i traded for from. Especially not considering this is a long game played through several days, even weeks.

(November 2nd, 2020, 02:19)Seravy Wrote: >In a max player game, that's roughly 1/3 of a tier difference, but it is the only mechanic that can make brokering harder.
>A trade interest penalty is not relevant. Wait and it grows back to the maximal amount. I can safely ignore that even if it happens.
The time variable for trade interest should be influenced by the number of AI’s still in play. That would also make brokering harder.
Quote:If two AIs trade, even if the rules say "must get lower value spell" that results in the other AI getting the higher value spell. This rule only works for the human player because they are not trading with another human player, so there can be a clear distinction which side gets the "equal or lower value" half of the deal.
That’s logic. However, a better relation might increase tolerance for differences in spell value. For example: 2 AI´s have a “super good” relation. Now they can trade with a higher difference in spell value. Getting best relations shouldn’t be too easy and quick, and there should be mechanics who destroy good relations too. On the bad side of relations, smaller differences in spell value should be accepted until – close to war - trade interest disappears. Thats the same rule AI vs AI and AI vs human. This should also eliminate the possibility of looting an AI just before war.

(November 2nd, 2020, 02:19)Seravy Wrote: So you are saying to undo this one?
Quote:-When the human player requests a trade with an AI, if there are at least 6 AI wizards (at the beginning of the game), then the player has to offer at least +1 spell value for each 2 AI players in the game above 4.
In a max player game, that's roughly 1/3 of a tier difference, but it is the only mechanic that can make brokering harder.

Yes, I think it should be undone. It makes non-brokered trading way too hard in max player games. Having more players doesn't add enough options to compensate at all. I wouldn't have supported this change in the first place had I been around for that discussion. I wouldn't support any change that hits non-brokered trade if the intent is to limit benefits from brokering. 

But anyways, I seem to be the only one who's tested this so far. Does nobody else like/do trading?

Quote:The problems with this one are :
-A relation penalty is too harsh. Players shouldn't be forced into wars for trading spells.
-A trade interest penalty is not relevant. Wait and it grows back to the maximal amount. I can safely ignore that even if it happens.
-There is no reasonable explanation why the wizard knows we traded away our spell. That other wizard might have simply researched it on their own or found it somewhere.
-There is now way I'll be able to remember who I got all 20 spells i traded for from. Especially not considering this is a long game played through several days, even weeks.

I agree that these are serious weaknesses in that solution. My personal preference is simply for the AI to do brokering too (but again, emphasis on too, they cannot do it in such a way that is blatantly cheating and stops the player from trading their own spells first), but brokering is only possible in a small fraction of games right now anyway, so I don't think it's urgent for Alpha. I consider the other problem with regular non-brokered trading being too hard more of a priority. Opportunities to broker are much harder to come by when you only have single-shared realm trading partners and far fewer spells with the bonus to trade value for being missing in their spellbook.

I only met a significant dual shared realm wizard before turn 100 in 1/4 games, so having or not having access to regular trading feels much more impactful.

Quote:This has been discussed before and it's impossible by definition. If two AIs trade, even if the rules say "must get lower value spell" that results in the other AI getting the higher value spell. This rule only works for the human player because they are not trading with another human player, so there can be a clear distinction which side gets the "equal or lower value" half of the deal.

Why is it impossible? The AI has modifiers on trade value based on whether it's in their spellbook or not, don't they? Sometimes they'll be willing to offer more or less, and meet both AI's criteria, and other times they won't reach a deal. It's same for human players, except we have more strategic "modifiers" in which we're willing to take a lower trade value deal. Moreover, I did say equitably equivalent works too. A restriction on quantity traded such as the one you described before can work if it's AI to AI, preventing them from trading too much more than the player because of the different trade value formula.

Quote:I wouldn't support any change that hits non-brokered trade if the intent is to limit benefits from brokering.

The intent is to compensate for having more trading partners. Limiting brokering is just a convenient side effect.

Quote:Why is it impossible?
"The human player gets the equal or lower value spell".
This rule works because there is only one human player in any particular trade.
As a consequence the human player can never trade for a spell worth more than their highest value spell, not even through brokering.

"The AI player gets the equal or lower value spell".
This rule doesn't work because there are two AIs in the trade. If one gets the lower value spell, the other gets the higher value one.
As a consequence the AI can get spells worth more than their best spell and through brokering, can "trade up" to pretty much any spell in the game, bad common for good common, that for bad uncommon, that for good uncommon, then bad rare, good rare, bad very rare, good very rare.
The only way to make that not happen is using "equal" value but that doesn't work because there is like 0-2 spells in the game for each specific value.

"The AI players must trade spells with a value difference of 7 or less"
This is what the system uses, as the value difference is necessary for trades to actually happen. However this allows brokering spells up to higher value, so an AI who only knows Warp Wood can trade it for Immolation, then Lightning Bolt, then Fire Storm, then Flame Strike, then Doomsday and Armageddon, assuming trading partners for these trades exist.

In other words, if AIs did trade brokering, then even the weaker AIs would have access to the higher tier spells and of course that will then "leak" those endgame spells to the human player through tributes or banishing the weak wizard.

I'm still not convinced trade brokering is specifically the issue, I think it's not. There are two ways to get an unfair amount of spells in trading :
-Get a high trade value spell by research or lair treasure and trade it to 5-10 different players, getting one spell from each.
-Do trade brokering, trading each spell once but trading the spell received afterwards, forming a chain of 5-10 spell trades.

The former can only happen when there are a lot of AI players, while the latter can always happen, however, it was possible in CoM I and no one ever considered it unbalanced, so it's safe to say it is NOT the issue in low player count games.
Which means the issue is the player count itself, for both kind of trades.

(November 3rd, 2020, 01:31)Seravy Wrote: "The human player gets the equal or lower value spell".

"The AI player gets the equal or lower value spell".

"The AI players must trade spells with a value difference of 7 or less"

In other words, if AIs did trade brokering, then even the weaker AIs would have access to the higher tier spells and of course that will then "leak" those endgame spells to the human player through tributes or banishing the weak wizard.

These rules are programmed. This is circular logic. I don't think it makes sense to say it's impossible to treat AI and human equally just because they were programmed to be treated differently.

Instead, we could have rules like these:

"Reject Trade if TradeValue(OwnSpell) >= StrategicValueThreshold(HighestSpellTierAvailable, TurnCount) AND (NotAlly OR Relations < X)

"Accept trade if the TradeValue(OwnSpell) >= TradeValue(OfferedSpell)"

Then we would just need to come up with an algorithm to calculate the TradeValue, taking into account things like spells being missing or researchable or whatever else makes sense.

Yes, in this way, both the AI and player could "trade up", but only if brokering was allowed. If it wasn't, they still can't.

Quote:I'm still not convinced trade brokering is specifically the issue, I think it's not. There are two ways to get an unfair amount of spells in trading :
-Get a high trade value spell by research or lair treasure and trade it to 5-10 different players, getting one spell from each.
-Do trade brokering, trading each spell once but trading the spell received afterwards, forming a chain of 5-10 spell trades.
I don't feel that the former is a problem. You can't trade 5-10 different players, realistically, even in a 13-Wizard game, and even if that many trading partners were available, half might already have that spell. And aside from dual-shared realm wizards, you can't get that many spells in return in a single realm either.

With brokering, you can get as many spells with only 3-4 trading partners. It wasn't a problem in COM I because then you were lucky to have 1 trading partner at all in a 5-player game where only 4 wizards were on Arcanus. It opens many new possibilities, and the chain could be endless until you have all spells except the highest value Very Rares.

As I noted in my games, I barely had any trading options in all of my games until I met Ariel. I had in theory at least 3-4 trading partners of one shared realm each time, with at least 4+ books shared.

Quote:"Accept trade if the TradeValue(OwnSpell) >= TradeValue(OfferedSpell)"
Yes, in this way, both the AI and player could "trade up", but only if brokering was allowed. If it wasn't, they still can't.

That's literally the same thing I just said, that rule allows the AI to broker spells upwards.

That + "trade brokering is allowed" -> it's impossible to do this because AI would trade up.
That + "trade brokering is not allowed" -> It's perfectly fine.

We have to keep that in mind as a consequence after we make a decision on trade brokering, but it's neither a proof or argument for either side. It just shows your suggestion to make AIs maximize trading requires to ban trade brokering first.
As we don't yet have conclusive evidence on trade brokering, nor a decision, and this depends on it, we can't do it in the current state.

...maybe there is a different solution though.
We could have this rule instead :

"The AI players must trade spells with a value difference of 7 or less and neither AI player can receive a spell with higher trade value than the highest trade value spell they already researched"

Which does prevent trading up, with or without brokering, unless they get lucky and find a higher tier spell in a lair but that requires beating that lair which sounds unlikely for an AI that's a whole tier or two behind others.

That said, I'm still not sure more AI trading really is what we want in the game. I mean, "The human player gets too much spells from trading" and "The AI players don't get enough spells from trading" are the two sides of the same coin but ultimately there is the edge of the coin - the intended pacing of the game. So it's very well possible neither side, or both sides need adjustments and it's possible they need changes in the same, or the opposite direction.

So before we can do anything at all, we need to pretty much see from testing which if any are true :
-Players can have higher tier spells than the intended pacing -> We need to do something with human trade
-Players can fill in the gaps in common/uncommon spells in their spellbook by trading (you did report this) -> intended feature, not a bug
-Players can fill in the gaps in rare/very rare spells in their spellbook by trading -> probably the result of AIs not dying fast enough, if not then we need to do something with human trade
-AIs can have higher tier spells than the intended pacing -> We need to reduce AI trading
-Players or AIs are a tier behind the intended pacing -> This can't happen without a major bug because trading wasn't part of economy calculations so there should be enough resources to make it impossible.
-AIs cannot fill in the gaps in common/uncommon spells in their spellbook by trading -> We need to make AIs trade more
-AIs can fill in the gaps in rare/very rare spells in their spellbook by trading -> AIs should have killed each other before this happens, but even if they don't, this is probably fine as it makes the game more challenging. Dual realm AIs tend to be easier as is.
-AIs cannot fill in the gaps in rare/very rare spells in their spellbook by trading at all -> This is the risk of playing multiple realms and the AI is protected from it by having a "guaranteed reroll" feature to get at least one good spell or spell combo. Not a problem although it's not desirable either.

So before we can really make any progress in any direction, we need test data for all the above except the second row and preferably from multiple people. 

Quote:You can't trade 5-10 different players, realistically, even in a 13-Wizard game, and even if that many trading partners were available,

You did say you traded Invisibility to 5 different people for 5 different uncommons. You could have found that Invisibility in a lair or could have researched it yourself. Yes, you didn't, you traded for it but that still means two instances of brokering and four instances of duplicate trade. Unless you automatically count all duplicate trades as brokering as well which you shouldn't because then you won't be able to measure how much the brokering affects the system without duplicate trading, which is what we need to compare the two.

As for how many players you can trade a spell to, that's actually possible to calculate. Assuming you are trading away leading tier spells which no one has yet and have high enough trade value to trade for most other spells in the same realm, which is the worst case scenario, we get :

1 realm wizard : There is one mono and 4 dual AI templates including your realm out of 15, so the chance is 1/3 per AI player, or 13/3 = 4.33 players in a maximal player count game.
2 realm wizard : There are two dual templates, one that has both your realms, 3 that has one of your realms and 3 that has the other one of your realms, for a total of 9 out of 15 templates, which equals 60%. In a 13 player game that is a 13*6/10 = 7.8 players who has at least one realm with you. This doesn't matter though because we assumed we trade one specific spell and one spell can't be both realms at once. So the average number of trading you can do per spell you own is 4.33 if you don't adapt to circumstances. If you do and pursue the research of a spell in the realm with more trading partners, you will most likely see 5-7 players you can trade the spell to on average.
In either case, your rare spell with value 30 will trade for at least 4-5 other rare spells that have value 30 or lower.

Compared to this, trade brokering only ever allows trading spells down. While it's theoretically possible to always trade for only exactly 1 value lower, it's not realistic. In general, you'll be trading for about 4-5 value lower each time at least, both because the exact trade values are not shown to players but also because the spell with the perfect value won't always be available on your first try and you can't afford not trading a "still pretty good" offer. Assuming a drop of 4-5 value each trade, a rare spell with value 30 will only trade for 2-3 uncommons (of values approximately 15, 20, 25) and some commons (trade value 0-15)

So looking at just the raw numbers, duplicate trading gets you better spells than brokering : same quantity but higher tier spells.

This assumes the "at least +4 value" code gets removed, otherwise it's safe to say the average trades the player can make will trade down by at least 7-8 each time, for the same reason, it's extremely unlikely to nail the perfect trade where the received spell is the highest possible, without literally looking up spell values in tables.

Note that all of the above assume the trade has no modifiers on either side, so either both you and the AI get a spell you can research on your own, or neither of you do.
If you consistently trade away spells the AI can't research in exchange for spells you CAN research then you can keep up brokering as long as you want or get 4-5 rares slightly better than your offered spell but the value of that is questionable as it doesn't give you new spells at all.

Now if I assume you are trying to trade away something that's not "leading tech", like a 25 value rare when most people have 30 value rares, it actually doesn't change anything. You can still trade for 5 spells of equal value and it's actually much more likely you can trade successfully because the AI prefers to research the good spells first, so if you did go after the "leading spell" but wasn't the first to get it, your chances to trade it away are drastically worse. If you picked a mediocre spell the AI doesn't prioritize much then you are almost guaranteed to be able to trade it to everyone, even if you lose the research race because no one will pick that thing until they got all the better stuff first.
In case of brokering however, this definitely makes the results worse as the starting value is lower so the chain contains one fewer spells before value shrinks to "untradeable garbage common".

All of this assumed we don't mix brokering and duplicate trades and only use one or the other, because we want to measure their effects separately.

The theory seems to show duplicate trades are more beneficial, but the effect of luck is higher on brokering. (Do you trade for 1 or 7 value lower consistently? You can't know and even if you do the trading partner might only have the 7 lower value spell, but it is the main determining factor for how much value you get out of brokering.)

Either way we need more test data, if there is not problem to fix, it doesn't matter which contributes more to gaining spells, duplicates or brokering.

(November 3rd, 2020, 13:21)Seravy Wrote: So before we can really make any progress in any direction, we need test data for all the above except the second row and preferably from multiple people.

I agree with that and the rule proposed.

I do think that just removing brokering, aka the trading away of any spell you traded for is the simplest solution. That way you don't have to penalize the player's trade value at all.
I think it feels unfun to try trading and find no one values what you have. Whereas inability to trade away techs that you obtained via trade would just "make sense". ESPECIALLY if you find a way to indicate it in the UI. Maybe some sort of tiny icon in the spellbook. Perhaps when you obtain a spell via trade the other wizard writes it into your spellbook himself. As such you don't discover how to write the spell, you only learn how to read it. Which prevents the trading it. It makes sense in a variety of fantasy fictional worlds.
Testing brokering in alpha though makes sense. I think it should be tested. Although rather than endlessly coming up with nerfs to trading in general, it might make sense to keep the nuclear option of cutting brokering off entirely in mind, so that trading in general isn't nerfed beyond funness.

That said, a lot of sci-fi 4x games have a setting that turns tech trading on/off. I guess caster of magic 2 could have a setting that turned brokering on/off (or heck even trading itself on/off to match industry standards).

It's sort of weird, the main reason players turn tech trading off in 4x games IS brokering, yet the games startup option menu simply gives the choice to turn all tech trading on/off. Players then decide, is brokering so degenerate in my mind I want tech trading itself entirely removed from this game? yes/no

Most players that I know turn it off for multiplayer at least (just consult realmsbeyond's other sections).