As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(April 8th, 2019, 07:09)Krill Wrote:
(April 5th, 2019, 15:46)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: LOL I just realized in the only game Gathering Storm played they kicked Trip's ass after he launched a dumb attack. I'm sure the tile came from them looking for a fan-name that involved weather, rather than endorsement of Gathering Storm crushing Trip--saying that crushing Trip is a good thing because of his performance in Civ5--but it still cracks me up.

You didn't know?

That game is the true ancestor of all the pitboss games we play now. It's not a bad read, but the game was played 18 years ago, pictures are missing and everything.

I read that game but I didn't remember GS kicking Trip's butt and didn't brother re-reading because of the missing pictures and stuff.

So I just started playing this on my iPad. Any good guides out there to jump start my game?

Darrell

There's Quill18's tutorial but it's almost 3 years old so many things have changed...

Basically, compared to previous civ games, improving resources isn't as critical as it used to be, so don't spam builders too much. Also production is really scarce, so either focus really hard on getting more production or find ways to go around the production shortage (buying stuff with gold or faith for example).

Edit : Also, cities control much larger territory than in civ 4 (they can use tiles 3 tiles away from the city center), so be prepared to have less cities for the same amount of land. As long as those cities are on fresh water you'll be fine

Thanks, from what little I've read (basically Sulla's review) it sounds like abusing the AI (especially militarily) is the easiest way to win. I played one game and noticed my cities were not growing as fast as my neighbor's, it feels like maybe you need to focus more on supplementing tiles with buildings to drive vertical growth?

Darrell

Some details about the impending update came out today.

A summary (mostly borrowed from Reddit):
  • UI
  • Diplomacy ribbon/leaderheads in the top-right now have a brief resource summary of the sort you can already collect if you want to dig through other screens (military power, culture-per-turn, gold reserves, etc.)
  • Gossip notices and combat logs no longer cover the entire screen, and there's a gossip log with filters.
  • Power lens, displays sources of power and colors cities based on powered/deficit/no electrified buildings status.

Pantheon changes
  • Camp pantheon +1 food -> +1food +1production
  • Plantation pantheons: one deleted, the other now just gives +1 culture to plantations regardless of resource.
  • "Pop growth bonus" pantheon also gives a free builder on selection
  • "Border growth" pantheon also gives a free settler (?!? sounds busted)
  • "Faith for Chopping" is deleted
  • Faith-from appeal +1f on Charming tiles -> +2f on Breathtaking only
  • Mines-on-strategics pantheon now +1p+1faith from all strategics
  • New pantheon: 'Goddess of Fire', bonuses to volcanic soil and geothermal vents.

Production changes
  • Lumbermill and Quarry updated to be on par with mines
  • Lumbermill available earlier, at Construction.
  • Jungle Lumbermills available midgame at Mercantilism.
  • Industrial Zone district adjacency bonuses overhauled
  • Workshop +2 -> +3 production. Still has a bad payback horizon.

Diplo Victory changes
  • Required points increased from 10 to 20
  • Now gain a DV point when you vote for the winning result in a World Congress vote

New lategame policies
  • Feel free to check the Reddit post for details.

Miscellaneous changes
  • Unusable GPP (eg. prophet points after you found, Kupe writer points) convert one-to-one to faith.
  • Unit abilities (eg. Giant's Causeway's +5CS bonus, the anticavalry bonus vs. cavalry) can be displayed by mousing over the portrait, and remain through upgrades and corps-merging.
  • Medieval Walls turn off Battering Rams, Renaissance Walls turn off Siege Towers. Use the damn bombard units.
  • Great Works of Writing +4 culture and tourism -> +2 culture and tourism.
  • Canada buff! +1 food from Camps, +1 production from Lumbermills... but only in tundra.

Patch notes are out:

https://civilization.com/news/entries/ci...lable-now/
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

ALL RULESETS ON PC

Civ 6 Gathering Storm is -25% off for two weeks from 40,- to 30,-. I am considering buying it or maybe I wait till -50% which mean I can buy it for 20,- which is likely happen in upcoming winter sales I think.

(June 27th, 2019, 09:49)Alhambram Wrote: Civ 6 Gathering Storm is -25% off for two weeks from 40,- to 30,-. I am considering buying it or maybe I wait till -50% which mean I can buy it for 20,- which is likely happen in upcoming winter sales I think.

What the what...it's not available on iPad?!

Darrell

Has anyone at RB experimented at all with the fairly new "Play By Cloud" option for MP? It seems like a weird middle ground between PBEM/Pitboss. As far as I can tell, it doesn't support simultaneous turns for some reason, but it does seem fairly equivalent to being (Sequential) Pitboss for Civ6. It's got some very minor webhook support too. Anyone try it and have any luck?