As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(October 15th, 2020, 22:09)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote:

October update.

I wonder if 3 other players would be interested in giving Pirates mode a go, like we did with the Vikings?

I think it'd depend on how it's implemented in-game.  The Vikings scenario could be played in hotseat mode but Red Death was real time only.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Looks like it's real-time only.

Why the designers at Firaxis insist on building so many new multiplayer modes, but then refuse to actually make multiplayer playable, is beyond me. 

Does someone more knowledgeable in computers than I know why Civ IV supports Pitboss functionality but V and VI do not?
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

I can only say that coding anything network related in games is a nightmare and a huge investment
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Civ 4 had Pitboss because it was a personal priority for Soren Johnson.  Civ 5 and 6's designers weren't on that bandwagon.  Simple as that.

As I often point out, Civ 4 was a one-time outlier, not a new repeatable industry standard.

(By the way, it's now been more time from Civ 4 to today than from Civ 1 to Civ 4. Civ 4 is older relative to us than Civ 1 is to Civ 4.)

Does the New Frontier pass appear to be worth the cost for SP play?

Hard to say. The game modes are interesting but can also throw things out of whack. Secret societies are implemented as governor promotions so you can wind up with a handful of those very early on. Disasters and apocalypse mode can be fun as well, but haven't tried dramatic ages yet. The civs themselves seem to be the usual "here's a DLC, have a ridiculous civ" mixture.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

I think it's good value for the money. You get as many new civs as a regular expansion pack, and lots of weird variant gamemodes to try. So far, I really enjoy Secret Societies, not so much apocalypse mode, and haven't given Dramatic Ages a shot yet.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

I’m infinitely more likely to end up creating a map and trying to find people to play it, then I am to actually play an MP game.

The AI does not expand well enough to pose a threat in a SP game for a seasoned player. Thus Epics are a tad underwhelming.

(November 13th, 2020, 05:24)TheArchduke Wrote: The AI does not expand well enough to pose a threat in a SP game for a seasoned player. Thus Epics are a tad underwhelming.

Could that be mitigated by a well-made Worldbuildered map setup perhaps?