As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Races, Units, Buildings

(August 30th, 2016, 20:44)namad Wrote: (I thought you said it might be hard)
fortunately it turned out to be easy. smile
Doesn't change the fact that cannons are going down to 5 armor, unless there is any valid reason why they should have higher armor than the second highest armored ranged normal unit, instead of merely equal to it? (while their other stats are still better relative to the cost).

I think 5 is fine. Although I do worry dwarves will end up being a race you love to have access to, but don't want to start as (personally I already feel that way, I feel like I can get my mega dwarven city placement just by building a settler at a neutral city but I'm at best an extreme player).

I also liked the idea of making catapults more common, you could move catapults to the miner's guild at the same time as giving cannon's 5 defense. That might be too many changes at once though in 2.69? Personally I thought something like 2 ammo would be more interesting, but if you want to stick to something simple they sound like they definitely need to go down to 5 defense.

I feel like giving gnoll's catapults would be really cool, and help make them closer to barbarian's in usefulness.
Additionally everyone who already can build catapults, but can't build them until it's too late to matter, would be able to build them earlier, when it might matter?

It's odd that cannon's require less infrastructure to build than catapults just from a realism standpoint.

(August 30th, 2016, 21:04)namad Wrote: I also liked the idea of making catapults more common, you could move catapults to the miner's guild at the same time

I spent some time thinking about it but I do believe having some races with no ranged units adds diversity to the game, also I don't want rock type attacks to be too common since that makes guardian wind, missile immunity and warp wood obsolete so it should stay relatively uncommon.
Catapults are fine I guess, they aren't all that useful for a dwarf city but at a cost of 70 it's not that bad either, for the price of 2 cannons you can have 3 catapults - if there is no threat of the enemy cursing or nuking them, that actually is slightly more effective.

Quote:Additionally everyone who already can build catapults, but can't build them until it's too late to matter, would be able to build them earlier, when it might matter?
I actually almost always do miner's guild, university, mechanicians guild first after sawmill and sometimes library. So this depends on playstyle. I'm not using much catapults though, they are fine as an emergency measure if I need defenses in a city quickly but that's all I'm using them for at least usually.
Don't think I want Klackons to have ranged units, and I don't want rock type ranged units on nomads either (who specialize on bows), gnolls I don't know but since it's all or nothing, I rather prefer the nothing. Barbarian catapults would be interesting though. Although the lack of them makes Disrupt a valuable spell pick for barbarians which is nice, it isn't all that frequently used.

Barbarian's can't build the miner's guild though.
The other race's mentioned can build miner's guild's but either no university or no mechanican guild.

That's a good point though I didn't think about, too many boulders makes missile immunity less awesome.

I do like to build universities and mechanican's guilds but not until I have either at least 1 settler or ranger/horsebowman/wolfrider tier unit, if not 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. On the flip side I get the miner's guild out immediately. The miner's guild pays for itself a lot faster, especially if you have any ore's of any type around, the mechanician's guild investment (assuming you don't really need the research) takes longer to pay off and so I delay it slightly.

I am a new player (on MoM in general, although I watch a reasonable deal of LPs) and was planning to do a normal unit foccused strategy (4 light, 2 sorcery, 3/1 nature, Warlord, Tactician, and maybe Inquisitor), and was wondering which race benefits the most out of Inquisitor. It gotta be a race that is totally (or mostly) self sufficient economically (which rules out Lizardmen) and militarily (so Hallflings aren't the strongest pick normally, but light/sorcery does help with Heroism and Focus Magic). So, any ideas?

(September 1st, 2016, 17:04)RodriguesCIA Wrote: I am a new player (on MoM in general, although I watch a reasonable deal of LPs) and was planning to do a normal unit foccused strategy (4 light, 2 sorcery, 3/1 nature, Warlord, Tactician, and maybe Inquisitor), and was wondering which race benefits the most out of Inquisitor. It gotta be a race that is totally (or mostly) self sufficient economically (which rules out Lizardmen) and militarily (so Hallflings aren't the strongest pick normally, but light/sorcery does help with Heroism and Focus Magic). So, any ideas?

Nomads : High resistance. Inherent gold bonus is cumulative. Strong, versatile units and good economy. Extremely vulnerable to famine, but other than that, probably the best.
Barbarians : Worst possible choice, no economy whatsoever
Gnoll : Bad
Lizardmen : Probably good, they have decent power output and very easy to grow cities which is what Inquisitor benefits most from.
High Men : Increased unrest rate and horrible resistance makes them a risky and medicore option for this.
High Elf : Good in everything but growth might be too slow for it to work.
Klackon : Extra unrest on other races mean having to raze them is not as bad, and stag beetle is a great unit...but that's all you'll get, making your army very one-sided.
Orc: Fast growth, average units, overall not bad but poor resistance means it can lose to death wizards too easily.
Halflings : All their good units are ranged, so very vulnerable to sorcery wizards. Aside from that, not bad.

So all of them has at least some weak point, but nomads are probably the safest choice. Just make sure you eliminate any maniacal death wizard before they get famine.

I did it with lizardmen on extreme. The population growth is unbelievable. I'd like to try barbarians, klackons, and high men. I should try high elves but I detest them on a personal level, and can't ever bring myself to play them - and I almost always raze their cities anyway.

Also, why don't high and dark elves hate each other? They should generate +3 unrest in each others cities.

IMO inquisitor life warlord is awful for lizardmen because they don't particularly need the gold and also don't have any top tier military units at all.
Dragon turtles don't benefit much from buffs with 1 figure and javelineers are and earlier game stopgap.

That said lizardman+inquisitor+alchemy, books with more fantastic creatures to focus on, could in theory be quite good I think?

I think with the sawmill though lizardmen are a fine race to play, they can cover the world in cities quite fast, especially with smaller landmasses and then they're assured to get at least 1 or 2 useful late game military neutral cities to help make a strong doomstack. You just cannot do that with inquisitor.

*shrugs* like I said, did it on extreme. Its not for everyone, but it worked for me. I mostly converted to man's with all the gold, and had man's and research at minimum, so I had massive casting skill.

Being able to pump out full stacks of fully buffed halberdiers every turn ir two is extremely strong.