As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Haven't paid close attention, but it seems like you get the opportunity to reallocate your trader unit every 20 turns or so after you build it. This isn't fast enough to keep up with moderately paced expansion in the early game when you only have 1 trader slot. I didn't start to get a decent road network between the dozen cities I have in my current game until well past T100. Not that it makes too much of a difference since early roads are so weak anyway (just removing terrain cost, not increasing movement).
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(October 24th, 2016, 23:27)Lord Parkin Wrote: Haven't paid close attention, but it seems like you get the opportunity to reallocate your trader unit every 20 turns or so after you build it. This isn't fast enough to keep up with moderately paced expansion in the early game when you only have 1 trader slot.  I didn't start to get a decent road network between the dozen cities I have in my current game until well past T100.  Not that it makes too much of a difference since early roads are so weak anyway (just removing terrain cost, not increasing movement).

Lategame you run into the same cap but differently, when you have 20 something trade routes you can't make trading posts fast enough to be able to trade around the world.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

(October 24th, 2016, 23:25)Singaboy Wrote: Trade routes turn quickly into some micromanagement as they get reassigned every now and then.

By the way, I am pretty clueless as to how exactly war weariness works in my AW game as Kongo. I posted a screenshot with some weird information. I have started a discussion over at civfanatics. Here is something I am trying to figure out and confirm:

I could see some rough pattern for eliminated Nations:

Capitals no war weariness
population 1-5 war weariness 0
population 6- 10 war weariness -5
population 11 - ? war weariness -6

For Nations still at war like iwnw (Egypt), higher war weariness.

anyone has experience with this?

I got the 6 WW in a size 12 cap taken from a dead civ, so I don't think being a capital has anything to do with it.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

I've forgotten Great people  duh

Uness I am mistaken, they do one thing, and one thing only in civ 6. After you found a religion (great prophet) the game completely removes the GP-counter from your game. Ive seen two Great scientists so far (who were pretty darn crappy btw)...and there was just one button to push, to get some benefit.

I understand no golden age, because those glory days are gone - but why cant we settle them in a district instead? Get 

'choice' concerning them is whether or not to get the one you just saved up gpp for now. Hm.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

(October 24th, 2016, 23:20)SevenSpirits Wrote: Can anyone explain to me how traders and trade routes work?

I ask because I like having roads between my cities. frown

I don't have the math but after playing a Russia game heavily utilizing trade routes I'll give a quick rundown:

The yields are largely determined by the buildings and districts in the target city, plus whether it's internal or international. Generally, infrastructure that add food/housing add extra food, but food seems rare in international trade routes (except for Egypt, obviously). I believe it may be tied to neighborhoods only. Infrastructure that adds production to the city adds production to the route, but the city center buildings don't seem to count for international trade routes (only internal). You start with a base of +1f+1p for internal routes. International routes yield gold by default, at a much higher rate with commercial hubs/etc.. International routes may also yield faith, culture, and science, if the appropriate districts are present in the target city. Internal trade routes don't have gold, culture, faith, or science by default, but may be added by some sources (like Great People, policies, etc.).

I mostly use internal trade routes because I felt it kept me able to produce things at a comfortable rate with my own policy of having an industrial zone + commercial hub in every city. But there are a some policies that affect trade routes as well, Triangular Trade and E-commerce are the big ones. Once you get +5 production on international trade routes and the policy that improves trade routes to your ally, having an ally with lots of industrial zone cities becomes very beneficial. That's for the very late game though.

You get an extra trade route from each commercial hub and harbor you build, which makes them very valuable as trade routes are powerful. There are also wonders that increase your max trade route capacity, as well as great people and the Merchant Republic government.
Civ 6 Adventure 1 Report
Now complete!

One thing that changed from the Civ5 trade interface is that now trade routes give their benefits to the origin city, not the destination city. Normally I'd have my core cities build new traders as soon as the slots became available, then used the unit panel action to rebase them to a new city to help it get off the ground. That, combined with city planning for overlapping industrial district benefits, made a big difference going into the endgame slog.

Slightly unrelated and very silly: you can chop forests and rainforests with no penalties for distance or being out of borders. The yields scale up throughout the game and are applied to your closest city. I ended up sending a dozen 5-shot Builders around the world and to the other continent to help build the spaceship parts (192h per forest chop out of 3000h total). I imagine this would be very helpful throughout the game, once the barbarians are taken care of, especially for powerful wonders like Ruhr or Oxford or the policy slot wonders. There's usually lots of open space between the AIs, and any city-states you establish suzerainty over will give you open borders. I don't know if there's a diplo penalty for using AI open borders to chop their forests, but even without going that far, there's no shortage of lumberjacking potential. Seriously though, I hope this gets patched.

Yeah I've been trying to avoid the exploits like chopping across the world and deleting 1-charge builders, those are things that are certainly going to need to be fixed.
Civ 6 Adventure 1 Report
Now complete!

Selling/deleting corps seems to give you four times as much money as deleting a unit for some reason. Why did they even make deleting units give you gold?

(October 25th, 2016, 02:51)Magil Wrote: Yeah I've been trying to avoid the exploits like chopping across the world and deleting 1-charge builders, those are things that are certainly going to need to be fixed.

Likewise... I'm aware these things exist in the present version, but it's no fun taking advantage of them so I'm playing as if they didn't.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(October 24th, 2016, 22:46)sunrise089 Wrote:
(October 24th, 2016, 20:09)Yazilliclick Wrote: I would think increasing costs for things over time makes perfect sense logically since building a modern automated dairy farm certainly takes more effort than putting up an old wood barn and a farm house.

Do later game districts give you additional output? If not I don't think the analogy holds - the modern dairy farm is actually much less costly per unit of output, which is why it has largely crowded out the old fashioned kind.

EDIT: sorry, didn't realize there was another page of posts since.

Completely off topic but:

Modern mechanised farming (most especially the mega dairies) is only more efficient to run because a lot of the costs are exteralised. For example the only reason a battery dairy cow farm with 2,000 or more cows put in a shed and never let out is because they are allowed to bury the tons of shit generated in the ground and not treating it at all. The cost of fixing this highly toxic waste later devolves on the wider community after the damage is done. The farmer who has his 50-100 head on 60 acres has a much better solution in that the waste goes into the ground in much less concentrated form and acts as a feriliser.

Grain farming has a different problem in that it is much too intensive and much too monocultural (crop rotation no longer happens), leading to very nutrient depleted soil which is over dependant on artificial fertiliser and in some cases already uweless.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.