As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Torpedo ships

what does fixbugs change for computers?

bt_precap_tohit = true makes ECM useful against late missiles so you need computers.

Wait, is ECM bugged in the unmodded game? What does bt_precap_tohit do?

ECM nearly does not work due to +7 to hit of top missiles. That's why Guardian destroys you with scatter pack X.
UPD: That's why missile bases hits like a truck in the late game. And that's why Alkari is underrated.
UPD2: In MOO1 +7 to hit means you cant evade missiles in most cases

wait, so its only some missiles that get the +7 bonus? which ones?

I thought missile bases really fall off in the late game, because there's so many ways to crack them. They're a lot stronger in the early game, when ships are slow and planetary shields are almost invincible.

Anyway back to the main topic- I do think there's a *niche* role for torpedoes as being a very strong hit that breaks through heavily shielded ships. And if you're going to use torpedoes, they pair very well with a cloaking device. But there's no point using torpedoes on a weakly shielded ship, unless maybe it's hellfire torpedoes. And strongly shielded ships will often be so advanced you cant fight them anyway.

(October 29th, 2023, 12:33)luddite Wrote: wait, so its only some missiles that get the +7 bonus? which ones?

I thought missile bases really fall off in the late game, because there's so many ways to crack them. They're a lot stronger in the early game, when ships are slow and planetary shields are almost invincible.

Anyway back to the main topic- I do think there's a *niche* role for torpedoes as being a very strong hit that breaks through heavily shielded ships. And if you're going to use torpedoes, they pair very well with a cloaking device. But there's no point using torpedoes on a weakly shielded ship, unless maybe it's hellfire torpedoes. And strongly shielded ships will often be so advanced you cant fight them anyway.

Plasma Torpedo +7 acc 150 dmg, but Zeon Missile have +6/30
If you have +3 acc it's still huge and ECM can do nothing about it
Torpedo is good against planetary shields or when you can survive incoming damage
Also cloak is useless against +acc weapons
If you want to enjoy evasion builds or Alkari race i recommend playing 1oom with bt_precap_tohit = on

I've found torpedoes to be a bit of a "win more" weapon in Master of Orion, great against weaker/trailing AIs while rarely being useful against the leading empires. As such, they tend to have low priority for me as a Weapons research option; there's nearly always some kind of missile or bomb or gun that I need more. Torpedoes are best placed on Medium size hulls and used like missile boats - but like luddite said, they're bulky enough to be hard to fit on a Medium hull when first discovered. The fact that they do half damage against planetary defenses rarely makes these useful weapons for invading too. Overall, torpedoes have their place in the game but I've found that they tend to be pretty awkward fits.

Plasma Torpedoes are a bit of a special case since they do more damage than anything other than the Death Ray but it's exceedingly rare for any of my games to last long enough for them to show up. Stupid runaway Psilons. lol
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

You're missing out on a lot by playing with a broken Oracle interface... There's a fix in the 1oom fixbugs ruleset that gives a lot more options against shields

MyName- I appreciate the info you're giving, but I have to say it's hard to understand. Are you saying that there's a bug with Oracle Interface in the vanilla game? or is that just a balance change for that mod? I've almost never used the Oracle Interface since it comes so late. Same question about missiles- are you talking about fixing a bug, or just a balance change?

Sulla- yeah, I can see torpedoes being a win more weapon. You basically need some way to become invincible, so that you can slowly wear them down with the unlimited ammo of torpedoes. One way, maybe, is with high speed "shoot and scoot" against 1-move AI ships, staying out of range. I wish they did full damage against planets, because that's a big limit.

1) Oracle does not work in MOO
2) Top missiles nearly ignore evasion in MOO
3) 1oom have fix for both
In the meantime I'm preparing a map to show some of the differences (Aggressive Silicoids  eek )
https://youtu.be/6o9oVWZIiDQ