As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Submod "Caster of Magic for Windows: Warlord"

(November 22nd, 2021, 22:20)Suppanut Wrote:
(November 22nd, 2021, 08:58)MrBiscuits Wrote: I've played some more and killer wasps really are a pain. Three raider wasp units beat my walled city with wall of fire and 6 bowmen, 2 shaman and a hell hound.
Two fire bolts did almost zero damage to them and they just picked off the units one by one. The bowmen couldn't harm them because of missile immunity and the shaman magic attacks did almost no damage.

You could not use bowmen fight against wasp, it is intentional as you should try shooting guns or arrow to wasp or bee to understand the problem. And it is multifigure high armor unit, you should use other spell like flame blade (in case you are on defend and let's them go to melee you) or fireball (which now also common spell).

flame blade, fireball, web, anything with good melee buff, anything with breath, for other summon, number does, anything that have poison working well against wasp in defense such as naga on the wall, and ghouls would turn them into horde of undead quite easily. It even weak against some very basic spell such as weakness and also not doing well against resistance roll such as black sleep or confusion.

For some guidance, wasp has 9 figures so damage would go down a lot as they damage, buff/debuff mean a lot of them.

I think having some of flying, missile immunity, high armour, 9 figures, armour piercing would be fine on a common early unit. But all of them makes them too hard to deal with, you need to completely plan your whole game around them.

Think about units and methods that should be early counters to wasps:

Hell hounds - do very little damage to them. I think it takes about 3 hell hounds to kill one wasp unit.
Fire bolt - does almost nothing due to high armour
Fireball - good, but takes 18 mana so you can only cast one in the early game. 2-3 wasp units will still win the battle easily. Also nature has resist elements, so even this is likely to fail when they are buffed.
Shaman - magic attack too weak to penetrate the high armour.
Flame blade - is useless if you can't hit flying units. 
Confusions/black sleep - effective against 1 unit - but early game you can not cast them more than once and if it fails then you've essentially lost your city.
Psionic blast - good, but again you can only cast it at most once in the early game, so doesn't solve the problem against more than 1 wasp.
Nagas/war bears - good for defence, but wasps can just ignore them and pick off all the other units and completely trash your cities and there's nothing you can do about it as you can't harm them. Also 1 on 1 I think they still do ok against war bears. I've not tried them against nagas yet.
Ghouls/weakness - yes it seems that death has some way of dealing with them. Although that means having ghouls in every city, since wasps are everywhere in the game.

An early unit where even the best ways of countering them are not especially effective is unbalanced, not to mention the fact that the normal early defensive strategies like bowmen, walls and wall of fire are completely useless against them.

I think I'll remove missile immunity from them in my version. Yes I know it doesn't make sense with a swarm of insects, but it's the best way of balancing them I can think of.
Do I just modify the UNITS.INI file to remove the missile immunity line from wasps or do I have to do something to get the changes in the Units.dat file?

(November 23rd, 2021, 04:20)MrBiscuits Wrote:
(November 22nd, 2021, 08:58)MrBiscuits Wrote: I've played some more and killer wasps really are a pain. Three raider wasp units beat my walled city with wall of fire and 6 bowmen, 2 shaman and a hell hound.
Two fire bolts did almost zero damage to them and they just picked off the units one by one. The bowmen couldn't harm them because of missile immunity and the shaman magic attacks did almost no damage.

You could not use bowmen fight against wasp, it is intentional as you should try shooting guns or arrow to wasp or bee to understand the problem. And it is multifigure high armor unit, you should use other spell like flame blade (in case you are on defend and let's them go to melee you) or fireball (which now also common spell).

flame blade, fireball, web, anything with good melee buff, anything with breath, for other summon, number does, anything that have poison working well against wasp in defense such as naga on the wall, and ghouls would turn them into horde of undead quite easily. It even weak against some very basic spell such as weakness and also not doing well against resistance roll such as black sleep or confusion.

For some guidance, wasp has 9 figures so damage would go down a lot as they damage, buff/debuff mean a lot of them.

I think having some of flying, missile immunity, high armour, 9 figures, armour piercing would be fine on a common early unit. But all of them makes them too hard to deal with, you need to completely plan your whole game around them.

Hell hounds - do very little damage to them. I think it takes about 3 hell hounds to kill one wasp unit.
Fireball - good, but takes 18 mana so you can only cast one in the early game. 2-3 wasp units will still win the battle easily. Also nature has resist elements, so even this is likely to fail when they are buffed.
Confusions/black sleep - effective against 1 unit - but early game you can not cast them more than once and if it fails then you've essentially lost your city.
Psionic blast - good, but again you can only cast it at most once in the early game, so doesn't solve the problem against more than 1 wasp.
Nagas/war bears - good for defence, but wasps can just ignore them and pick off all the other units and completely trash your cities and there's nothing you can do about it as you can't harm them. Also 1 on 1 I think they still do ok against war bears. I've not tried them against nagas yet.
Ghouls/weakness - yes it seems that death has some way of dealing with them. Although that means having ghouls in every city, since wasps are everywhere in the game.

An early unit where even the best ways of countering them are not especially effective is unbalanced, not to mention the fact that the normal early defensive strategies like bowmen, walls and wall of fire are completely useless against them.

I think I'll remove missile immunity from them in my version. Yes I know it doesn't make sense with a swarm of insects, but it's the best way of balancing them I can think of.
Do I just modify the UNITS.INI file to remove the missile immunity line from wasps or do I have to do something to get the changes in the Units.dat file?

You need to edit units.ini then delete units.dat to make file regenerate from your changed units.ini.

Firebolt and other spell direct attack spell (maybe except psionic blast) does not perform well against multifigure high armor unit due to that every left over need to be reroll on next figure.

You need to have garrison based on threat you encounter in game, not based on meta though. But yes, you could expect a lot of lose if you use that much bowmen, although bowmen with heroism is enough to defend against wasp in melee. if you have wall.

BTW, how you end up kick the hornet nest to begin with? Do you build city inside nature node's aura area? Normally hellhound has no problem take down wasp if they are attacker unless wasp get buff by something (wasp is very sensitive to buff and debuff which is by design). what difficulty you play with?

Killer wasp is tentatively being adjusted down and with higher lair cost (which should reduce frequency of rampaging wasps). Reasons for adjustment different from what is discussed here, but makes unit a bit less effective

(November 23rd, 2021, 05:28)Suppanut Wrote:
(November 23rd, 2021, 04:20)MrBiscuits Wrote:

You need to edit units.ini then delete units.dat to make file regenerate from your changed units.ini.

Firebolt and other spell direct attack spell (maybe except psionic blast) does not perform well against multifigure high armor unit due to that every left over need to be reroll on next figure.

You need to have garrison based on threat you encounter in game, not based on meta though. But yes, you could expect a lot of lose if you use that much bowmen, although bowmen with heroism is enough to defend against wasp in melee. if you have wall.

BTW, how you end up kick the hornet nest to begin with? Do you build city inside nature node's aura area? Normally hellhound has no problem take down wasp if they are attacker unless wasp get buff by something (wasp is very sensitive to buff and debuff which is by design). what difficulty you play with?

Thanks, I've made the change. Bowmen still barely damage them, but it's better than nothing now.

My current game has 2 local maniacal wizards with nature books (and the other one has too, but is lawful), so they are sending stacks of them constantly.

I don't think there's another common summon that is so hard to counter. Giant spiders are the only ones that come close, but they are uncommon of course.

No it was an ordinary city with no aura. It makes sense that a 4 figure unit with 4 attack and 2 defence is going to struggle against a 9 figure unit with 3 armour piercing attack and 8 defence.

Look like you need to learn on how to do proper diplomacy and make them stop their poking. Technically you could make them stop by make their relation above neutral or sign proper wizard pact. Up to race or realm you play, this does not stop you from explored their territory completely. Halfling scouts, high elf ranger, Nature's Great Lizard, and Death's Night Stalker have stealth perk so you could use them explore enemy territory without harm. Alternatively you could explore their land with unit with construction skill such as engineer (now has 2 movement) and dwarf hammerhands (which now have construction perk like engineer, think about it as combat engineer if you prefer) can go into enemy territory and hunt as well as occupied nodes as you please.

Warlord mod version 1.3.2 for Caster of Magic for Windows 1.3.0 is released.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1pbl8wfgn....2.7z/file

The changes are included....
- Warlock gain large shield in addition to its missile immunity, cost increase to 180
- Wasp movement reduce to 2, casting cost increase to 65, rampage cost 70, lair cost 105
- Demon summon cost increase to 50/150 and gain +1 defense and create undead, lair cost increase to 300
- Wraith gain create undead and rampage cost change to 300, lair cost change to 600
- Doom Drake lose fear but gain +3 HP
- Steam Tank's food consumption increase to 2
- Manticore's lair cost reduce to 150
- Djinn summon cost reduce back to 375
- Dwarf loses access to Merchant's Guild
- Reduce odd of low budget item as treasure
- Weapon Immunity defense bonus increase to 10
- Weakness casting cost increase to 8
- Life drain -save penalty fix to properly -5 (as stated in description)
- Reaper Slash spell disable
- Fate Mastery rename to Dance of Death and move to Death realm as replacement of Reaper Slash
- Chaos realm gain Corrosive Blast as replacement for for Fate Mastery
- Destiny renames to Apotheosis
- Mislead renames to Liability
- Mystic Surge nolonger roll Destiny/Apotheosis
- Drought gains additional ability to reduce food production in city by 25%
- Pestilence gains additional ability to reduce population by 1000+POP*100
- Eternal Night gains addtional unrest to city of enemy wizard
- Evil Omens gains addtional unrest to city of enemy wizard
- Darkest Hour gains addtional unrest to city of enemy wizard
- Abundance gains ability to negate overfarming penalty
- Enlightment research bonus reduce to 1 per pop but gain ability to make newly created unit buffed with permanent discipline perk to compensate
- Clairvoyance casting cost increase to 800, upkeep increase to 20 but gain -2 unrest in all city as compensate
- Blazing Eyes change to Chaos Embrace research cost 20000, casting cost 1300, gain additional effect make chaos channel gain by doom mastery coming with all three bonus instead of one and city generate power from violence of colosseum, and unrest from magic (city curses, global enchantment)
- Giant Spiders research cost increase to 640
- Land Linking research cost decrease to 420
- Chaos Surge research cost increase to 15000
- Warp Reality research cost decrease to 6000
- Animate Dead research cost decrease to 8000
- Pestilence research cost increase to 15000
- Chain Lightning research cost decrease to 8000

Warlord mod version 1.3.3 is released. I need to release this quick due to I found quite serious bug.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/sa4ykvpyc....3.7z/file

Change log.
- Bug fix: Enlightenment not properly give unit with discipline
- Discipline on new units from Enlightenment now could be dispelled
- Discipline cost increase to 12/60 but upkeep reduce to 0
- Water Elemental melee increase to 15 range attack increase to 10
- Fire Elemental HP increase to 12

First impression by Hadriex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teA0wz4QvLk

Killer Wasps are awesome and in some situations borderline overpowered.

However, do not depend on killer wasps. This may happen (note, damaged giant spider due to phantom warriors)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Warlord mod version 1.3.4 is released on link below

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vjtr8cxat....4.7z/file

Change included:
- Shipyard rename to Dock & Shipyard with new building sprite and generate 4 foods, cost increase to 120
- New building sprites for Maritime Guild
- Fix Dock & Shipyard and Maritime Guild not touch the coast on city view
- Farmer market growth bonus reduces to 40, cost reduce to 150
- Sawmill change to Mill and production bonus change to 0.5 base production for each farmer in city, cost increase to 80
- Builder Hall gain bonus generate 0.25 base production per population in city, cost increase to 80
- Smithy production bonus change to 3
- Stable production bonus change to 4 and cost change to 120
- Wizard's Guild research bonus change from 3 to 2, power increase to 12, cost increase to 800
- Barracks, war college, fighter's guild, maritime guild, oracle, armourer's guild, fantastic stable cost increase by 20-30%
- Monument cost increase to 90
- Linking Tower cost increase to 550
- Amplifying tower cost increase by 50%
- Magic Market cost increase to 100
- Sage's guild cost increase to 400
- University cost increase to 160
- Alchemist's guild cost increase to 150
- City wall cost increase to 90
- Miner's guild, Mechanician's guild cost double what previously were
- Monastery now requires both Shrine and Builder Hall
- Cathedral now requires both Monastery and Builder Hall
- Barbarian gain access to to Builder Hall, University, Monastery, and Oracle
- New unit "Chironean Guards" for Beastmen
- New sprites for Centaurs
- spearmen lose 1 resistance, base cost reduce to 15
- Swordsmen base cost reduce to 30
- Bowmen gain +5% to-hit, base cost reduce to 30
- Hunters gain +5% to-hit, base cost reduce to 40
- Halberdiers and Pikemen lose 1 defense and 1 resistance, cost -20, upkeep reduced by 1
- Kardakes -1 resistance, cost increase to 80, but upkeep reduced to 1
- Maiden Queen lose poison, cost reduce to 180
- Crossbowmen gain +5% to-hit, but lose long range ability
- Catapult gain +5 ammo, attack increase by 1, cost increase to 90
- Legionary gain wall crusher
- Doom Drakes get fear back
- Dwarf Engineers change to Combat Engineer, lost disrupt charge and -2 figures but gain rock range attack, +2 defense, and a charge of flame blade, unit cost increase to 100 and upkeep change to 2 as well as require alchemist guild in addition to builder's hall
- Arquebusiers cost reduce to 50, upkeep reduce to 1
- Musketeers cost reduce to 160, upkeep reduce to 2
- Rock Throwers gain +1 defense
- Jackal Riders loss 1 attack but cost reduce to 190
- Wolf Riders cost reduce to 70
- All armorer's guild and fantastic stable units cost increase by 20-30%
- Druids gain a charge of resist element, Druid hero gains 2 charges
- Orc Archer heroes change to Centurion, leader type hero and gain a charge of disrupt
- Philosopher's Stone lose increase casting skill through Linking Tower gain from monument now increase by 200% and allow alchemist's guild generate 12 gold (it is philosopher's stone after all)
- Uranus' Blessing change to generate power for each research point generate in enchanted city and overland casting skill bonus gain through research buildings instead of Amplify Tower but casting cost increase to 225, research cost and priority swap with Spell Blast
- Global Unrest from Evil Omens change to 1 on first cast, and 2 for each stacking up
- Blazing March no longer give breath attack bonus
- Tree of Knowledge becomes uncommon spell with research cost increase to 1800, casting cost increase to 500
- Mountain production bonus reduce to 5%, Volcano bonus remain 7% to encourage player to convert mountain with no resource to volcano
- Update ai production script, now there would nolonger has Wizard guild appear before Tree of Knowledge