As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[PB76] Strange women lurking in ponds and distributing swords

So the donut map shape / terrain is really itself to be one of the most recognizable map scripts, even back in pb2 sullla picked up on it instantly after playing on it for one SP game. What's one of the least recognizable map scripts?

Something no one has thought of but it would be cool to try and see: go for Music and use the Great Artist to culture-flip a barb city. It happens pretty quick if you settle so the barb city is in your third ring, since the culture bomb immediately expands to fourth-ring so you're putting 20 tile culture per turn on the barb city center.

Yes, I definitely hope to see vastly different strategies, not just slightly different gameplays all following the same playbook.

I thought about trying to flip the barbs with a caste artist, to perhaps steal the horse tile early if not flip the city outright, but I think the Music detour might be too expensive. The crazier option would be to found the second city 3 tiles away and use the holy city culture to flip it, but of course that's off the table now.

(February 18th, 2024, 20:53)pindicator Wrote: If the barbarian cities are the halfway point between civs I would find that very disappointing. I'm not a fan of putting "prizes" at the halfway point between two civs on maps to create artificial races. The land grab is the race already; you don't need to make the reward more swingy. Also, it makes me think this map is quite small which would favor players that went for civs with immediate benefits. Mongolia & Scandinavia get a lot scarier, for instances. At least it's a tech combination to my north.
[...]
Or maybe the answer is to rush the opponents and not the barbarians... Settle city #3 on top of that horse and start pumping out horchers, for instance?

For the record, the midpoint cities were not intended to be prices, hence the fortifications. They are however entirely culture-flippable, and especially the horse is intended to be weak.

(February 19th, 2024, 01:05)El Grillo Wrote: I thought about trying to flip the barbs with a caste artist, to perhaps steal the horse tile early if not flip the city outright, but I think the Music detour might be too expensive. The crazier option would be to found the second city 3 tiles away and use the holy city culture to flip it, but of course that's off the table now.

Yeah, caste artist is probably the easiest way to get them.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(February 18th, 2024, 21:38)greenline Wrote: So the donut map shape / terrain is really itself to be one of the most recognizable map scripts, even back in pb2 sullla picked up on it instantly after playing on it for one SP game. What's one of the least recognizable map scripts?

Continents is perhaps the base-script that's hardest to tell at a glance, as it can look like both Pangea and Big-and-Small early on. Most of the other scripts have pretty distinctive tells.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Regarding the pasture on a Corn tile that was reported, I'd say it's just fair to all players if that gets changed to a farm - after all, the barb cities are to develop roughly equal, and have equal "powerbases", if I'm not mistaken, so having one being weaker than others could make a difference.

I dont think the reload should be granted..., LIve  with the mistake...

I was inclined to leave this up to the players, but then I'm slightly biased: I did get a reload for something similar in PB66 (forgetting to re-assign a citizen after playing around with demos)

Well , i  made many mistakes this way never asked for a reload, onli time was whe my litle girl got the mouse and moved units around....I even once lost 20 units becasue amisclick in a fortified city andi didnt request the reload, but thats just me...