As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

RB-Civ5 SG4 - Learning the game the Ryder Cup way

NobleHelium Wrote:I propose a little friendly American/European competition. :neenernee

We have exactly four Americans and four Europeans. We could play on the same map and see how each game goes.

I dig, it actually goes pretty well with the Adventure 1 theme.

In that set-up it would be:

Gaspar
NobleHelium
Sareln
T-hawk

pling
Rowain
yuris125
TheArchduke

Bah what about people who are neither Euro nor American? Though I'll probably sit this one out as well.

It's a bit late, but I find Civ5 much much easier than Civ4. Maybe I've been rolling easy maps, and I've been using resource sale/research agreement cheese, but King difficulty is probably too easy for even that.

Gaspar Wrote:Assuming pling only withdrew on the basis of overcrowding, is everyone still interested in that?

More a crisis of confidence with over-crowding being a nice way to gracefully retire alright Which leave me feeling a bit caught now - my instinct is if it's to be at all competitve I'm definitely out. Any euro/not-quite-euro wanna jump in? smile
...wounding her only makes her more dangerous! nono -- haphazard1
It's More Fun to be Jack of All Trades than Master of One.

Well, we can go up to 5 in two groups. I'll leave it around through the weekend to see if anyone is more or less interested.

In the interim, anyone have any thoughts on Civ? I just threw China and Japan out there because they struck me as neither great nor terrible.

I would just go with random, and reroll if France (too strong unique ability), Germany (too good UU), Ottomans (too bad UA), and maybe India (unfun UA)

NobleHelium Wrote:I propose a little friendly American/European competition. :neenernee

We have exactly four Americans and four Europeans. We could play on the same map and see how each game goes.

Civ-Ryder Cup! I like.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Ok, given there haven't been super strong opinions by anyone, I'd like to get this rolling. I gave it some thought and its actually okay even if pling doesn't want to play (though I'll keep leaving her in the signup in the hopes of goading her into playing.) wink Since the breakdown of Euro/US works out that all the experienced folks are on one side and us greener folk are on the other it should work out to be a pretty good learning experience for the rest of us after the game. If nobody objects loudly, let's get started.

I'm okay to go with Yuri's suggestion of Fractal.

Sareln, can you roll a map with the aforementioned settings and Japan? [Just going to make the decision here and go with it.]

I would prefer Normal speed. Adventure One on Quick feels a bit too quick, at least when just learning the game.

Also, I'll be away from my Civ computer from this upcoming Thursday morning to Sunday night. So if we start within a day or two, put me first in the roster, or else last.

T-hawk Wrote:I would prefer Normal speed. Adventure One on Quick feels a bit too quick, at least when just learning the game.

Also, I'll be away from my Civ computer from this upcoming Thursday morning to Sunday night. So if we start within a day or two, put me first in the roster, or else last.

Both of these are fine by me.

I think there is too little action on Normal, mostly because production is so limited in Civ5. Should still be fun though