As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Remnants of the Precursors Succession Game?

So the rocks are rumbling and grumbling, I see. I am assuming it is mainly our huge number of planets that has them upset? Or did we get something else, like a spying issue or framed by an enemy? I suppose it does not really matter, as conflict with them was just about inevitable.

Nice work on capturing planets and tech from the Earthers. nod Does anyone in this galaxy have Atmospheric Terraforming in their tree? We have enough hostile worlds to make it very valuable.

Nice set so far. Given that I won't see the game until tomorrow, I'd like to ask for a swap with Fenn or a skip if the swap's not possible. I'm going up home for the long weekend and I won't be back to my computer until Tuesday evening, meaning it'd probably be a whole week at the turn pace we're at at the moment before I pass on the game.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(May 29th, 2024, 14:51)Brian Shanahan Wrote: Nice set so far. Given that I won't see the game until tomorrow, I'd like to ask for a swap with Fenn or a skip if the swap's not possible. I'm going up home for the long weekend and I won't be back to my computer until Tuesday evening, meaning it'd probably be a whole week at the turn pace we're at at the moment before I pass on the game.

Yikes - I knew I should have asked a more specific question. If I'm able to upload the save in the next few minutes or so, would you be able (and want) to play before you go, or should I take it as a swap/skip request regardless of how quickly the save is posted?

With andrium armor available, big auto repair designs become more effective. Maybe it is time to consider building some as part of our next generation of ships?

Apologies again for taking so long on this one - and at this time of night, I'd better not mess with any more pictures or try to write intelligibly, so I'll just present the part of the report I've got, which covers all the really salient points; the remaining three years can be inferred pretty well from this report and/or the attached save. I'll post the report for those remaining turns sometime tomorrow, hopefully with some additional thoughts about future ship designs. (Although ... depending on how things play out, we might already have all the ships we'll ever need.....)

Report, Turn 207:

In the midst of a lively argument in the Conclave Strategic Commander Chamber surrounding the utility of different ship classes and designs, the main doors dilated open and Admiral Sserythi strode in. Conversation ceased quickly - but not quickly enough. "Apparently," the Admiral observed without concealing his disgust, "you've seen last year's designs for the latest new addition to our fleet."

Just one lizard in the chamber, a young comm officer responsible for sorting out the consoles' complex signaling, had the temerity to ask, "You mean the Ghosts? There was some question of whether Omega..."

The Admiral just glared at him, but the strategist who had actually raised the question cleared her throat. "We can discuss that later. My question was about the future of our fleet. As we know, the Ghost design is two years old, though of course they entered direct combat just last year, and I've just been told that at the time we built them, there wasn't room for an omega bomb on a small enough hull without giving up the other vital systems the ship would need."

Admiral Sserythi nodded. Against then-current force fields, a pair of anti-matter bombs was more effective than a single omega bomb anyway, but the Admiral felt no need to explain: There were enough Ghosts in play to handle the Conclave's needs already, and it was likely that no more would ever be built again. "I was referring," he said as if forcing the words out around a taste of rancid vinegar in his mouth, "to this monstrocity."

The others looked around, dismayed, as the image came up on the chamber's main displays: Though designed and assembled the previous year, the Standoff 6.0 hadn't featured in any of the official reports ... perhaps due to sheer embarrassment. Cautiously, Foreign Minister Jusslotrim asked, "What ... is it for?"

Admiral Sserythi showed his rows of sharp-pointed teeth. "For showing off. Since the enemy ships all seem to rely on slow-crawling missiles, bombs, and short-range beams, this ... thing can take the initiative, close in so enemy ships are forced to fight on its terms, deny approach vectors to the enemy with its repulsor beam, and plink away with its little heavy ion cannon while our other ships are doing the real heavy hitting. Since it can outrun any enemy missile we've seen and can't be shot from closer range than its repulsor allows - and you'll note its cheap but powerful armor and extreme maneuverability mean even if it does have to eat a missile volley from time to time, it's likely to live - the Standoff is supposed to control the flow and positioning of battle for our other fleets. That, and plink away with its lone heavy ion gun, a little egregiously."

Cautiously, General Brachyss suggested, "That sounds ... good? It could also clear a path for bombers that way potentially?" His eyes darting around different parts of the room as if to spot the catch, the General asked, "How did it fare?"

"It didn't," Admiral Sserythi answered, with still-greater disgust than before. We wasted a bunch of vital production at rich Alastria to get one into play ahead of the bird fleets: Fully fifteen of their armored, quick, destroyer-class Sky Hawk fighter-bombers, plus Falcons for missile support. They couldn't have known what was on our Standoff, but they saw the Beamer cruisers in the system, and our mere advantage in material scared them off so badly, they declined combat and retreated before they ever reached targeting range. At this rate, they're going to be bouncing back and forth indefinitely across half the galaxy because their leaders are too afraid of scrapping their only starfleet, too scared to engage us, and capable of dropping in and out of hyperspace too fast to be intercepted in between." He paused. "So if we want to see how these things work - and if, we'll have to keep an eye on the handful we built at Meklon to help us meet the main enemy fleets ... if even they are willing to engage. They're running out of places to run at this rate."

The Ghosts had already started to prove their worth in taking out Earth's defenses with only trivial costs to the fleet, but of course that was always easier for attack ships to do: An enemy homeworld couldn't decline combat in quite the same was as an enemy fleet! Still, it didn't seem to have improved the Admiral's mood. "We might get another chance to see that abomination of a repulsor ship up at the Silicon Rim," he admitted reluctantly, but I'm betting it'll be more of the same all over again. You see, the ships that refused to fight our Standoffs retreated toward its neighbor, Akaali, and a little bit prematurely. At the time they set their jump coordinates, it still belonged to their ape-ish allies. As you can see, though the numbers were close this year and we needed a little luck - and the skill of the field marshals you trained, General Brachyss - to win by the margin we did before next year's second wave...

"...Akaali is now a Conclave colony! The first Standoff in that sector has been dispatched to help defend it already."

Chief Scientist Lyndiss Yssef, having just recently emerged from one of her years-long deep dives in the homeworld's planetology labs, blinked nervously and asked, "What were they doing retreating to an ally's embattled world? Why not try for a safer one of their own colonies?"

The young comm officer gaped. "You mean you don't know?" He made a quick adjustment to the display screen. "Here, this is from earlier this year: Even before the ground invasion at Akaali.

"They don't have colonies anymore! Last year, the Altairan ... excuse it, that's wrong: I should say the Inagakian Sovereignty lost their former homeworld and every other star system they controlled except for this poor excuse for a steppe world in the Inagaki system."

Foreign Minister Jusslotrim nodded sadly. "Yet with their own fleet scattered and mostly useless, with the fleet that had done that to them more or less surrounding their last world, they still refused to accept my calls or negotiate for peace. So, naturally, some of the ships that were taking planets from them way out at the edge of the galaxy have started to return by way of Inagaki, taking out its defenses as they went, observing the effects of their bombs on the population once the bases were down, and - as you can see here - conducting the sort of diplomatic mission they can hardly ignore. I hope they'll agree to talk with us soon. If not ... well, we'll have to be careful not to kill them all while removing as many as possible of that poor world's hard-built military factories."

The advanced space combat strategist who had brought up the question of Omega bombs and Ghosts before the Admiral's arrival watched the recordings of Inagaki's bombardment again, frowning, and said, "This is exactly what I mean. I'm well aware anti-matter bombs are more effective, ton for ton, than the larger omegas against backwater worlds with obsolete defenses, but won't that change soon - or hasn't it yet, for the most-advanced factions in the galaxy?"

"It's close," Admiral Sserythi admitted. "It's close enough that if we had slightly better miniaturization available at the time, so we could have mounted an omega bomb with all the same peripherals, we very well might have. But as for advanced factions - technologically at least...

"...this is it. Apart from the Hive's derelict acquisitions for ground combat and ship-based weaponry, no one we've ever met has discovered anything that we don't know already - and our very most advanced shield technology was plundered from these now-backward avians! When someone starts fielding the latest planetary shield technology we're working on ourselves, or when we can fit an omega bomb into a housing that couldn't fit two AMBs, that's the point where the old bombs should be retired from new additions to our fleet."

The strategist nodded slowly. "I can believe it," she agreed, "but I haven't brought up the real problem with those Ghost ships: How come their lists of weapons and special systems start with a blank in each case? What kind of list is this?"

For once, Admiral Sserythi looked genuinely surprised. "Lists?" he asked. "Oh - I suppose usually they are lists. I think this one was meant as a schematic instead - something our craziest ship designer likes to do sometimes for ships with coincidentally symmetrical designs that are built to land in planetary atmospheres: The slots map to the overhead view of the ship, with the outermost slots - the ones you'd call first and last - typically wing-mounted, while the inner slots are mounted in the main body of the ship. That lizard is crazy though. He keeps complaining about clicks or clacks or ticks or tocks or something, and then about what he calls an Enter Key that doesn't work the way he wants it to." He darted his head aside as if flinging something away from him with his teeth. "He's the one who came up with that Standoff ... thing, and he works way too slowly. I'd fire him, but he seems to have connections high up someplace."

The comm officer all the while was staring at his subdisplay. As a silence fell around him, he muttered, "But ... this can't be right! We only started the war three years ago - and before that, they were major players in the galaxy! This claims ... the label on this map is, Altair-Meklon Quadrant, including all of Bird-Ape Alliance space!"

Conversationally, Admiral Sserythi said, "Yes, we've been using flags of different colors to help keep track of targets of different values, and whether we've assigned what our strategists regard as a sufficient fleet of bombers, space-support, and transports to a given world in the desired time-frame. It's been simplified a lot now, for reasons you can see. If you can't tell yet what the white flags mean ... well, it will be even more obvious very soon, I think."

Another able strategist - one with a carefully-cultivated reputation for haphazard action though in fact he could be extremely effective and methodical in his work - was gazing thoughtfully at the screen. Musing, he said, "It might be more to the point if the map showed Imperium space, but I'll bet that wouldn't all fit the screen at this scale. I imagine they're mostly upset at us because we own so much more of the galaxy than they do? Or was there a spying issue too - perhaps a frame job from somebody?"

The foreign minister nodded gravely. "Precisely so. Whoever pretended to be lizards stealing their technology a decade and a half ago, it's had some effect, but the rocks have nearly forgotten it by this point. Their real problem with us is that we're just a few star systems shy of owning half the galaxy!"

As he so often did, Amiral Sserythi had the last word again. "Alliance stars won't get us there - not quite," he said, his voice not exactly mournful, while he eyed the diplomatic report on the Crystal Imperium ... hungrily.

Roster:

- Fenn (UP!) (But of course if you'd rather wait for the rest of my report, that'll be up sometime tomorrow.)
- haphazard (on deck unless Fenn takes almost as long as I did ... or unless we win at the next Council!)
- Dp101 (asking good questions, making good suggestions, and watching the game unfold while patiently awaiting the next turn set to come around!)
- RefSteel (just took way too long to play!)
- Brian Shanahan (on a long weekend with family! - skip until Tuesday)

Save: Attached to this post in a zipped folder. The empire is still recovering from my ridiculous mid-set play, and I just realized the espionage settings I left in the save should not be kept for the long term. Still, for just this turn at least, I did try to leave the save in a state where it would be okay to just hit Next Turn as-is ... even though due to differences in styles and strategies, I don't actually expect that to happen any more than I do so on my inherited turns!

Attached Files
.zip   RSG-01-T210.zip (Size: 162.88 KB / Downloads: 2)

Got the save! I might well wait for the latter part of your report as I probably won't get to this tonight anyhow. Also interested in hearing about future ship designs - as I see it, we have enough of a production edge on the Cryslonoids who are anyway in a hot war with the Kholdan that our current designs will be sufficient to overrun them. That said, I do have a desire in my heart for finally making that Huge Autorepair design a reality. Also, with how missile heavy the AI fleets are, including the Cryslonoids, might ECM Jammers be worth building? I confess I'm not 100% clear on the relative value of ECM vs Armor vs Shielding.

Another thought: focus all tech into propulsion to get High Energy Focus since we're close already, build Larges and Huges with Particle Beam + HEF, and go to town. This one feels more for fun than optimal, but I think it would let us tear apart any fleet the AIs could build now.

Having trouble posting comments. frown Naybe this will work?

Nice report, RefSteel. thumbsup Thanks for clearing up that diplo issue, I had not actually opened the save recently. I wonder who framed us? Is it possible to frame someone you have no contact with? (I always suspect the shape shifters when I get framed.)

For ship designs, there is always the temptation to wait a bit longer for some more tech to pop. HEF is a pretty key tech for a beam ship, though, so in this case it might be worth it to wait.

I always forget just how dramatic the advances in a lategame war can be. I think I could accomplish similar in a lot of cases if I was just even more ambitious in sending many invasions at once, but there's always fears about overstretching and wasting a bunch of pop/ships (and when playing by myself often there's not the desire to do that much management on a single turn lol) so I tend not to. Looks like things are going excellently! And given how the numbers on the graphs on the status screen seem to be in terms of percent share (for stuff like population and planets) it looks like we'll only have to grow a little to reach victory in the next council vote.

Also, maybe the final report will clarify things, but looking at the save, why are non-maxed worlds like Newton and Aoki and Ishida being set to research? The governor won't set worlds to do so automatically if they aren't maxed so this has to come from direct actions, and as such I'm a bit confused. Especially given that it seems like with a bit more growth we'll win easily at the next vote, I feel like maxing out as many worlds as possible before then would be the way to go, and we're not particularly close to any research so there's nothing to currently prompt a brief effort before returning to maxing.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

Report at last concluded, turns 208-210:
Foreign Minister's personal notes, file 3416-7721-8923, Avantador Historical Archive

In discussions outside my field of expertise - most notably, in matters of starship design, of which I know little more than what I am told by the admirals of the fleet - I came across an incomplete reference at least two years old to an unknown ship design: Something produced just once by our tailless, featherless enemies. Not knowing how their so-called Dreadnought was built, we tried to meet it with an enormous fleet, suited to almost any possibility. Even so, I am told that the right combination of armament and defensive systems could have nullified our attack on the world it protected - should it choose to engage us there. This it did last year, living up to its name, as unlike virtually every other enemy starfleet we encountered, it did not dread the encounter sufficiently to immediately flee. And indeed its defenses were formidable. The data scan captured by our Chameleon scanners, inset in this post-battle report, was taken after hitting it with a full volley of their phasers.

As you can see, we would have needed many more Chameleons - nearly a hundred, most likely - to destroy it instantly, and it would certainly have won this battle had it been equiped with a repulsor beam: In spite of mounting a bunch of scatter-pack five-racks, such as those we once put aboard cruisers, well over a century ago, meant to mostly to conceal the fact that at the time we had no real combat fleet, this monster also has anti-matter bombs in meaningful numbers and large banks of phasers - more than we had in the battle ourselves by almost a factor of two! Admittedly, ours were better directed, aboard ships that were far harder to hit, so that if we had just perhaps twice as many Chameleons, they could likely have won the battle alone after severe attrition, and still cost no more than say two or three of our Beamer cruisers, but the Dreadnought was certainly the most dangerous single enemy ship we had ever seen. Sadly for its crew however, since it had no repulsor beam, and we had not two or three but thirty-three Beamers on-hand, the Dreadnought was blasted to pieces before it could fire a single phaser. This illustrates, so our fleet admirals tell me, the power and the danger of using huge gunships. If you imagine removing all the scatter-pack filler and needlessly expensive jammers, adding a battle scanner and better computer, either replacing the stream projector with something like a repulsor or pulsar or dissipator - that, or building the ship around the projector more effectively or removing it entirely - and filling up the rest of the space with more phasers or other effective weaponry, that thing you'd be imagining would be a devastating weapon - and even as-is, the ship we were facing represented a serious threat as long as it was in play. But the swiftness with which it was removed - a single starship, capable of defending or attacking only a single planet at a time, with a price tag up in the trillions of credits, and which may face the concentrated fire of an entire enemy fleet - speaks to the danger of relying too much on a battleship.

Which brings us up to date enough to talk about this year, when among our attacks was a frankly casual flyby of the Adarak colony.

We didn't even bother sending a space support ship to this white-flagged system, though we obviously have Beamers to spare; the admiralty apparently figured around half a hundred Ghosts that couldn't get to any more-vital targets right away could have a look at the impoverished little colony there, on a world that had only a minimal micro-ecosystem prior to its gaia transformation, and help perpetuate the irrelevant status of our ape-like enemies. There was a broadly similar situation at the equally-poor world of Sulvin V nearby as well, though I suspect that in at least one and perhaps both of these cases, the "casualness" was a post-facto reinterpretation by the Admiralty, having probably intended to send spare Beamers to each of those worlds and then forgotten. At all events, in addition to the missile base they were designed to defeat, the Adarak fleet met a pair of Frigate bombers with no ship-to-ship combat capabilities, while the Sulvin fleet, more hilariously still, met three completely unarmed Survey scouts. This led, after lengthy stalling, to the only two events of the entire year which the Triumvirate could - and therefore naturally did - pretend were "victories."

At Sulvin, our fleet just retreated after disposing of the missile defenses, knowing the Surveys couldn't do anything about the transports coming in. At Adarak however, since the Frigates stubbornly refused to leave, our Ghosts cheerfully went right on bombing after all the bases were gone. As the surviving population and industrial base dwindled, the Ghosts made use of their precision bombing techniques, dropping one rack at a time, having been warned not to exterminate the population entirely, and finally returned to hyperspace after rendering almost 93% of the colony down to rubble and slag. I do not pretend to know the feelings of the three million who survived strictly by our mercy, incapable of working all of even the planet's 17 remaining factories, when they were told by their triumvirate of rulers, just arriving on their world to take over its direct administration, that the battle had ended in glorious "victory."

I should explain - in case you have not already noticed - that this sort of ridiculous propaganda is by no means restricted to our enemies. I believe I mentioned my suspicion that the composition of attack fleets for low-priority targets may not have been checked as rigorously as they might have been - but that appears also to be true for transport distribution between high priority worlds. The invasion we sent to Acamar was completely overwhelming, but the one for the enemy homeworld, right next door and closer to most of our worlds, barely outnumbered the enemy forces we ultimately met on the ground, still with our edge in combat technology barely enough to make up for the advantage conveyed by their defensive entrenchments. Fortunately, in that instance, our luck ran just about precisely even with expectations - but a famous poster celebrating the victory, stolen from the archives of the very planet we conquered this way, where it had appeared in a famous, ancient work of visual media, was a little bit extreme. Here's what it would look like if its context were added, describing what actually happened, instead of just the bare fact and celebration of victory.

We did send enough forces to take the other worlds handily - in spite of absolutely mind-bogglingly bad luck on Acamar, where freak earthquakes swallowed up whole divisions, a dust storm blew in across the battlefield whose pockets of fiercest blinding sand were all concentrated exactly where our forces were at exactly the times we arrived there, and many of our fusion blasts detonated long before reaching the enemy when - according to hyper-resolved post-mortem holography reviewed after the battle - they repeatedly struck random flying insects or drifting dust particles that the enemy's fusion fire always conspired to miss. The Acamarians led a charmed existence ever since the first battle of the war. Of course, you'll note the past tense: We sent enough to beat them anyway with troops to spare, plus even more than that in the form of transports that should have gone to Sol. In short, we met all our remaining operational objectives for the entire war this year. Naturally then, with no more need to design new ships, this was also the year that our new, advanced battle computer is finally ready to roll off the line.

I'm told that our computer scientists spent weeks debating their upcoming choice between pursuing additional advances in ECM technology, a new jammer even better than the best version we have so far, state-of-the-art countermeasures to kinetic munitions' self-guidance systems, a cool new way of tricking missiles and smart-bombs and spore delivery systems into missing their targets, and fifteen to twenty other ways of saying exactly the same thing. Then, with that excitement out of the way, it was finally my turn to take a role in the Conclave's future! Here's the report I was working from. It may give you the same impression it gave me:

Friends and fellow lizards, I think it's possible the pretty, winged Inagakians don't like us very much! But I noticed something even more important here: The exact thing I was looking for! The official communications channel between our peoples had been re-opened! For the first time since the war began, their diplomats were willing to talk to me! Needless to say, I got on the line with them right away.

Before I had a chance to ask Spire King Ariel, through the proper channels naturally, if they were prepared to stop being killed to death by our fleets, most of the bombers above Inagaki had been sent away toward the nearest star gate, ensuring that the remainder would not risk wiping out the remaining population if it went in for more orbital bombardment this year. This was fortunate for me, because it was a very gentle and non-impactful way to discover that due to a design flaw in our automatic warp dispatch system too involved for me to understand, nevermind to explain, when a fleet in orbit over an enemy colony is automatically given the order to retreat in the face of a peace treaty, its destination not only defaults to the nearest possible friendly system, but - unlike mere retreats from battle - it can't be changed even to a different friendly world until the ship arrives (or, presumably, is redirected via hyperspace communications). The already-dispatched bombers retained their orders perfectly, and I believe could still be redirected elsewhere had we wished, but the small fleet that without the treaty would have remained was taken out of our hands entirely.

Of course, Ariel's allies still refused to talk to me. I wonder what they're discussing right now - what they think they're going to do other than deal with us diplomatically. To give you a sense for what options they have - with "options" in approximately the sense that our computer scientists used the word this year - here's a slightly zoomed-out map of the relevant part of space, including a tiny corner of the edge of Silicon Imperium space, many but by no means all of our own star systems, and all of the worlds that still belong to the Dominion, the Republic, the Sovereignty, and the Triumvirate.

We have to group them now if we want to talk about worlds, plural. There's something else peculiar about this image though: I don't see any red lines! I checked, and we're definitely still at war with the Triumvirs, and I could have sworn they had fleets due to arrive next year or later at planets we now control. I wonder what this can mean! It bears some investigation, I should think.

Temporary Emergency Holotransmission Facility, Adarak City

Bursts of static periodically shattered the images in the display as cables run through half a dozen step-down transformers and adapters sparked and mag systems whined plaintively. The ambassador pressed her hands together tightly, though her face showed only her habitual expression of amusement with the world. Through the static, a comfortably familiar image appeared: Ireeti Fiffee, foreign minister of what little remained of the ambassador's trusted allies, Ariel's Sovereignty. "Thank goodness you are well," she said, her tone calculated as ever to appear cheerful and polite, yet filled with hidden and deeply-wise inner meaning if only it could be teased out. "We have heard such terrible things about the Great Enemy's death fleets bombarding you from orbit - and now our people too, here on Adarak, have experienced it at first-hand."

Fiffee made a complicated noise, as though using the muscles of his throat alone to dislodge a small mouse that had gotten stuck therein. "Yes, well, thankfully," Fiffee informed her with perhaps more than a hint of nerves, "that's - ah - well, that is to say, that's over with out here. We found ... you see, we found a way to turn them away."

The ambassador's eyes lit up in spite of all her training. She couldn't help it: The dream so distant and remote that she hadn't dared to hope it might be true! "I called full in the knowledge that our peoples could always turn to one another for succor, as you turned to us when the war began and we joined you! Pray, how is it that you were able to defeat..." ...but she saw the way Fiffee's crest was drooping - ever lower as she spoke - and she whispered, "... or ... but no, it cannot be..."

"Well, yes," Fiffee said, ducking his head back and forth as if trying to evade the gaze of the holocams. "You see, there was really no choice, and ... there were no terms, just full cessation without prejudice of hostili..."

Her training, honed though it was, already riddled with cracks after the horrors of the past few years, went to pieces entirely. "You made peace?!" she fairly shouted. "After dragging us into this war that has killed more than ninety-nine percent of our people, cost us - so far! - all our worlds but this one, to say nothing of our fleets, and ruined the friendship we had with the most-powerful faction in the entire galaxy?! After all that, without reference to us, you made a separate peace?!"

Bridling, defensive, Fiffee answered, "Well, you wouldn't deputize us to talk to them on your behalf, and wouldn't speak to them with or without our participation in the meeting, so there was hardly an opportunity for a multilateral..."

The string of words with which the ambassador interrupted him, which could hardly have relieved her feelings under the circumstances as they were, were not in any way suitable for a family audience. It is enough to say that they did display a thoroughly comprehensive knowledge of avian anatomy, as well as a great deal of ingenuity in identifying uses to which parts of it might be put.

Rosalind Franklin Memorial Spaceport, Special Embassy Landing Bay, surface of Watson II

Ambassador Rissefor of the Conclave waited patiently while the battered old bird-winged hyperspace shuttle, clearly on its last legs, made its hesitant way into dock, politely ignoring its failings and fragility: Rissefor was well aware of what Ariel's people had been through lately, and more pleased than otherwise that they had even managed to cobble together a working starship of any kind for their diplomatic corps. A news flash came in while the ship was still in its final approach, and Rissefor glanced at it casually.

"I suppose I should have seen that coming," he murmured to himself with a private grin. Of course the apes could hardly maintain the alliance that brought them into their war, turning them from the lizards' fast friends, sharing a pact of non-aggression and even voting for the Conclave at the latest High Council meeting, to their implacable enemies - and therefore into so much smoke and ash on the wind of the planets on which they used to live.

A private grin, but not without irony: The entire reason for meeting with the avian ambassador at the first opportunity, even going so far as to meet aboard the shuttle itself, had been to urge the ambassador to speak with the Adarakans, once of Earth, as the Conclave could not, and urge them for the sake of the two million survivors of their people who once numbered in the billions to agree to meet with lizardkind again and treat for peace. Even after the peace treaty with the Inagakians had taken force, the apes had refused to so much as acknowledge the Conclave's transmissions - and lately, in the skies above their last remaining world, a Beamer had destroyed the last remaining Triumvirate Cruiser while a small wing of bombers went in for just one run, killing more than half of the five million ex-Earthlings who had been living there, together with a dozen of their remaining factories, leaving them with only five intact.

The dillapidated hypershuttle's airlock creaked open, and Ambassador Rissefor recognized his opposite number standing in the gap, having apparently taken the trouble to open it instead of leaving it to the crew. With a sweep of his tail and open claws, Rissefor invited Ariel's ambassador to his chambers at the newly-reinstated embassy.

The old bird, though slightly rumpled, retained the dignity of office, and with a slight tilt of the head, recognizing the honor - or the urgency - of being so greeted on first reaching the dock, accompanied Rissefor to the suite, politely registered approval, made a mostly-doomed effort to smooth the feathers that were still out of place, and selected a scene for the room's large viewscreen display: The capital city of Altair, not as it was under lizard rule, but as it had been for the centuries before the conquest. Diplomats that they were, neither commented on how or why the planet had changed or the events that had led to its changing hands, but Rissefor spoke of the scene's beautiful nobility, and Ariel's ambassador thanked him graciously - and then added, bright wings first spread wide then dropped to pull in close again, "But there is a more-urgent matter of which I would speak!"

Ambassador Rissefor's training was so extensive and so acute that he managed not to break up laughing even slightly - still less to comment on the cause of the "bickering" between his people and the Triumvirate which Ariel apparently wanted - or had wanted, when the ambassador set out - to end. Instead of admitting that lizardkind probably could no longer match the combined might of the Triumvirate and Sovereignty since it was difficult for the Conclave to even see anything so insignificantly small, still less shrink itself to that size, Rissefor asked blandly, "Then you haven't seen the news?"

The visiting ambassador stiffened so as not to slump, putting as much weight as possible on the staff of office that was worth more than any of the Inagaki foreign service's othre remaining possessions, including what was left of the hypershuttle out in the port, and carefully asked, "What news do you mean?"

Rissefor swung his head to one side to give one eye a clear look at the bird ambassador, then swung it back the other way to give the other eye a better look. "Of course," he acknowledged, "you've been in hyperspace, and perhaps the news didn't reach you there - but surely while your crew was landing, a private dispatch from your homeworld would have..."

Still standing on what dignity the avian diplomatic corps had left, his visitor answered, "I am the crew. I had to bring my shuttle in and land it here myself, with no particle of attention to spare. We - all of us on Inegaki - have had difficulties finding enough birdpower for all the work that needs doing of late."

Nodding, understanding, Rissefor suggested, "Perhaps it would be best to check your comm dispatches then, and we can reconvene in the embassy dining room downstairs." Of course, diplomat that he was, the suggestion was not without ulterior motives: A subtle shift in contact pressure had informed him of a dispatch from his central headquarters: New, updated information of which he should be aware. The avian bowed in agreement and Rissefor stepped out to a secure area before viewing the latest report.

It was well that he did: When he saw the Triumvirate ambassador's face - opening communications for the first time in years after refusing to even acknowledge Conclave transmissions - and heard what she had to say, no amount of diplomatic training was enough; he did crack up laughing, writhing into a spinning circle of head, torso, limbs, and tail on the spot. It appeared that, at last, having demonstrated to the fullest and most horrible degree why a faction with power such as theirs had been must never, ever irritate the likes of the Conclave, the people of Adarak, formerly of Earth, were prepared at last to resume such peace as their tiny remnant population on the ruins of their lone, impoverished world could achieve. Had the three messages not come back to back to back, so nearly immediately, they might not have been quite as funny, but it was a long time before Ambassador Rissefor could stop laughing, pick himself back up off the floor, and go to meet Ariel's ambassador again. They didn't talk business in the dining room. Ariel's lone representative in Conclave space ordered and downed three generous double shots in succession of Altairan starflower nectar, and the nearest thing to diplomacy Rissefor needed to provide was his quiet, sympathetic company.

He had received other secret dispatches too, but he felt they could wait. It was therefore only much later that he discovered that galactic scanning crews had confirmed the latest hypothesis to explain the previous year's sudden shift from widespread incoming-fleet alerts to comparative calm and silence.

With a population in single-digit millions on a lone impoverished world, the Triumvirate had simply been incapable of maintaining and providing for an entire starfleet. The Dreadnought and Cruiser the Conclave fleet had destroyed in recent years were the last armed ships to see action for the Triumvirs, as all their Frigate bombers were sent to the scrap heap to feed their desperate need for more materials to support their existence. The crews mostly deserted and disappeared - some perhaps joining the Tessith pirates to keep up the fight against lizardkind, or just for the chance to steal something of value since their government on Adarak certainly wouldn't be covering their salaries - and the only ships still flying the Triumvirate flag were harmless Survey scouts. The pirates too might well have been rounded up, tried, and executed the following year if not for a critical mistake: Instead of sending ships through gatespace to Mesarth when its star gate was completed, within a single year's hyperspace journey of Tessith itself, the Admiralty chose to leave them in place at other star gate worlds, believing Tessith's governor when he claimed his own star gate would be finished within the year. As had happened with increasing frequency as the Conclave grew however, the governor was wrong: Cost overruns delayed the project - perhaps even because the pirates were disrupting supply runs - so that it didn't complete until the following year, when the role of High Magister was passed along. It was an ignominious end to an administration that had seen unprecedented success - in spite of all the errors it had committed along the way!

A look at the full galactic map following the election could only drive home the power of the Conclave, with the galaxy split nearly in half between its worlds filling all of one side apart from the small, impoverished nature preserves in which the Conclave's former enemies were permitted to live out their lives. The other was split mostly between the warring silicon and insectile beings, with the rocks holding a clear edge, but not enough of one to push through to victory - apart from a little more than a dozen stars on the very far side of the galaxy, divided somehow between hapless cats, bears, and shapeshifters.

The Conclave's population was still recovering in the aftermath of its bloody wars, and it was becoming increasingly obvious that if nothing changed - or if they changed it still more in their favor, then all the more so - they would soon officially become the rulers of the galaxy. As a matter of practical reality of course, they had done so already.

On ship design and tech spending: I'll try to talk about these more generally when I have a chance (not tonight) but for purposes of this game: I suggest that you do whatever looks fun to you. If you focus all tech spending into Planetology, you might be able to get more terraforming fast enough to win the election at the end of your set with no further blood spilled. (Unless the Silis might defy? Is that game option on?) Otherwise, we don't really need anything more than our existing fleets, and I only held off designing a super-ship (or a fleet of smaller ones) on my last turn because I wanted you to have a chance to build your own! I don't suggest waiting for HEF though - just because if it's stubborn about coming in, you might not get a chance to play with the ship you design until your set (and perhaps the game) is over!

In answer to some specific questions:

- I think I recall from MoO that it was possible to frame a race you'd never met. I think the frame with the Silis came during our war with the Psilons though, so maybe it was them.

- We have worlds well below their population cap in the hand-over save cheerfully researching with nothing being done to speed their regrowth because of ... basically no good reason. If you want, I can describe the mental and circumstantial convolutions that led to this happening, but they aren't strategic choices; they're just the stuff that led up to something silly. Actually if I hadn't known I'd be handing the save off on turn 210, I'd have had a bunch of transports still in space to help resolve this ... which might or might not be any better (it might indeed be worse) than just regrowing pop in situ. If the game worked the way (I thought) it's supposed to, force-growing population at most of these worlds would be an easy and immediate solution except at worlds so newly-conquered they're still lizardizing their factories while other send transports in. Even bugged as it seems to be though, I didn't hesitate to grow pop all over the empire during most of my turns - which is actually part of the convoluted lead-up to what's going on in the save!

- The bugs to which I'm referring include misreporting of what a planet will produce, which bit me twice with star gates (I don't know if that was unique to them or what the trigger is) which most often (but not in the case of the latest star gate) seems to relate to transports. Typically, if I observed what happened correctly, when transports are sent, the game over-reports passive pop regrowth (or rather under-reports net population loss) but under-reports the planet's net production (with the result that simultaneously sending transports and force-regrowing pop can result in over-reporting net pop loss or under-reporting net pop gain). I don't know how much of this is Sakkra-specific or what. I have some guesses, but would need to test further to be sure.

- Pop regrowth cost doesn't seem to match what I thought it should for Sakkra on Gaia worlds. In fact, it seems to cost around 13 and a third BC per population point on such worlds, which should be right for non-Sakkra on such worlds, but more expensive than I thought Sakkra were supposed to be even on regular planets. I suppose I might be remembering wrong - and I also don't remember right now if we have Cloning tech; if we do, the bug is definitely there and worse! Note when not sending transports, the game's reported pop growth expectations for Eco spending do seem to match what actually happens on turn roll.

- Pop growth predictions on the Eco slider bar for planets set to "Clean" seem to be unreliable even when no transports are involved. They're close, and usually right, but I've definitely (and repeatedly) seen planets grow when the slider said they'd be at "+0" with no 'sports involved. This (and the star gate thing might be related too) might be because of fluctuations in empire-wide costs and contributions like trade or changes in the proportion of those costs/contributions that each planet is receiving, e.g. because of transports being sent out elsewhere or reserve spending elsewhere, which perhaps doesn't cause production predictions to update immediately. This might somehow result in unintended extra "force-growing" on a very small scale, and maybe also the occasional post-interturn warning about planets with Eco sliders locked at a level that would still result in waste in spite of all planets being left at "Clean." I'd have to investigate further, which ... not tonight....