As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Turn 94

Phone report due to travel...

I'm all in favor of invading Azza but those axes and cats are going to take 5 or 6 turns to get there (i am moving them in that direction just to keep options open) then a turn to take it and then a while to get back to Serdoa's border. I only have 9 more turns of enforced peace, so I wonder if its too risky? he's likely to stick with horses, or wait for guilds, so maybe a few more spears gives me security...

Anyhow, a quiet turn, we should see altrincham resettled next turn and Exeter the turn after. I started a market in Barnet, but may need a stable. Discovered iron on the coast near ipswich, so will set about improving that quickly.

How is it going? smile
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 95-98

So I thought I'd posted a report covering turns 95, 96 and 97. But it looks like the internet ate it. The gist was that I thought I'd send my stack to say hello to Azza and resettled Altrincham and Halifax.

Turn 99

So here is my little stack, I could declare, move onto this tile and then offer peace in return for some money. Or to keep the "sustained peace" bonus I could just demand the money from here. I've looked through my cities and I only have trade routes with four of his cities - replacing them with mine will cost about 5 gold a turn. So lets make things interesting!

Turns out the trade routes only lost me 3 gpt, moving everything into his land cost me 14 though. de_Tuscan has a cultural defense of 20% and no walls, de_inferno has 60% and no walls. I think I could take both of them easily next turn if he doesn't fortify them, but I'd rather not get into a long drawn out fight...

So I'll just ask for 200 gold, is that too much? I guess I'll find out next turn... It'll get me civil service pretty fast, then I can start dreaming about catching the others up.

Anyway this is the rest of the empire. I'm hoping to re-settle the marble site (just off the right of the screen), but I'd like to get an assurance that Serdoa isn't going to just burn it again. Should I settle 1s of the northern pigs first instead?

And you can see that Hydra is taking his power more seriously now. I wonder if he's looking at me...

Pointy Stick Research!
I have to run.

Turn 100

Welcome to the turn 100 extravaganza!

Looks like Azza wanted to help the pointy stick research!

Is it possible that the 15gpt will carry on after the 10 turn peace treaty finishes if he forgets to cancel? Anyway, I also offered open borders just to show there are no hard feelings. smile I've only got three turns before Serdoa could come back at me, but the power graph makes that seem unlikely.

Anyhow here are my cities. Barnet is looking like a good candidate for a bureau capital. At some point I might cottage the riverside hill too.

Exeter is now my second city, I think it'll also get some cottages in the next few turns. I've just whipped this settler to resettle the marble city.

The resettled Altrincham 2 is up next. Borders will pop in four turns, then the city should grow quickly. Especially onto the few cottages that survived Serdoa.

Then we have Halifax 2, which needs a missionary, and will grow quickly once this lighthouse is ready. Its a candidate for the Globe theater...

Forest Green will pop a Great Scientist in two turns to build an academy in Barnet. FG has decent production potential, I just need to stop whipping it (which I just did again for this missionary).

Grimsby is possibly my best city at the moment, I'll whip this courthouse next turn hoping the overflow will complete the library.

The re-captured Crewe hasn't grown much as Darlington has been using the fish, but it can take it back this turn, so will get back to working all the cottages soon.

Ipswich can 3-pop whip this courthouse next turn. I was planning to concentrate on production here. Perhaps some workshops would help.

Darlington 2 can concentrate on production too.

Up north I want to resettle the marble city soon, then the pig city and perhaps the middle one too if Hydra hasn't claimed the land its on. Should I settle for pig first? I'm thinking 1w of where I've marked would be better in terms of keeping the gold.

In the west I've got three possible island sites slated, the pig and whale sites are the priority, site F is less useful and we have a couple of possible sites on the mainland.

In the east the land is pretty full up but I can settle next to the iron or on the island if I want to irritate Serdoa...

This is the only graph I like at the moment. I'm catching up.

While this one is all wrong...

Techwise it's Civil Service, once the academy is in place. After that I've not thought about it too much, but I'd like to get engineering (it can't be that long before someone gets guilds). If I get there first Notre Dame is a good thought, although I've only got one place with any forests left to use.

So what did I miss from the report?

Turn 101

Azza refused to open borders. frown Lets see if Serdoa wants to instead? (I know he's got the Great Lighthouse and I'm last in turn order, making this an uneven deal for me, but we're both behind Azza and Hydra and I've got about 6 cities that could benefit from trade routes and Azza already has routes with him. So there.)

Now this is a temptation, Hydra has left two unguarded workers on this hill, which I could easily snipe with my horse archer... Unfortunately there is a spear in Tiwanaku, which would then take them straight back. So I'm going to have to pass. frown

I thought since the settler was coming from Exeter anyway I'd settle the gold and pigs. Possibly dumb given that our enforced peace runs out in two turns, but if he accepts open borders I can go check if he's thinking of sending anything this way...

I've lost visibility on Hydra's graphs, which makes me think he's up to something, I've got my 2-mover stack fairly central, but will probably look to get the majority of the 1-movers up near Exeter and Halifax, just in case.

Turn 102

Euclid sets up an academy for us.

And hey! We have open borders with Serdoa. I'm going to do some exploring!

Oh no! Twenty Horse Archers! I'll need some more spears.

And oh no! Hydra has knights! I need a lot more spears! I think he's probably just showing me them since I have the highest power, if he was going to use them on me he'd keep them secret (like Serdoa did).

I'm going to save money for a turn or two more to complete a library and get more known-tech bonus from Serdoa researching CS. Then I think I need pikes...

Turn 103

Serdoa didn't declare war and Hydra is spending about 8 Espionage Points a turn on me, so I can't get his graphs back.

Also I'm 3 turns from Civil Service, but I think if Serdoa gets it the bonus might make it 2 turns (maybe smoke ) so I'll hold off going 100% research until next turn.

Other than that absolutely nothing interesting to report.Zz

Turn 104

Serdoa's Horse Archer army is back in Thessalonica, if he attacks again Kettering won't hold, but Exeter might. I wonder if I should fortify on the plains forest hill to discourage him, or just keep plenty of units in Exeter? Mean time Hydra is building a road in my teritory. How odd.

Ah, that explains it. His power is going crazy with knight whips:

And when I investigate it becomes apparent that those knights are massing on my northern border. I definitely can't hold out against them... I think my only hope is that Hydra sees Serdoa as the bigger threat and is going to try and knock him down to my level before he gets catephracts on the field.

That could be wishful thinking - but I think he knows he won't get a better chance to hit Serdoa than now. And the workers building the road in my teritory would be pointless if he was going to hit me...

Turn 105

Oh dear. Serdoa might have just made a big mistake... (Assuming I'm right about Hydra's intentions - if I'm not then it's GG for me) Poor Azza, first me, then Serdoa!

I'm guessing that Serdoa's 20 Horse archers are on the hill north of cs_assault. Only two spears in there, but Azza gets to play first next turn, so maybe he'll get more defence in.

Anyway this is the overview of the north west - Lancaster will be settled in two turns. Then I'll probably go for the western (pig) island. I've changed the spear in Exeter to a courthouse since this pic - I won't catch up by building military to defend against Hydra now, just need to hope he's aiming somewhere else.

And the south east

And power